Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest  (Read 18109 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2008, 12:10:44 am »

That's simple. Instead of abandoning, kill your fort by first dumping into a chasm all unused clothing and later throwing all your dwarves into the same chasm via a suicidal trap.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2008, 09:05:10 am »

We need to be able to hook pressure plates up to balistas, just to be able to reacreate the scene from indiana jones where hes dodging arrows shooting out of the walls in a tunnle.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:07 am »

So maybe you could build that 15 zl high castle and have the adventurer go all the way up to the top of the castle, then all the way down to the demon-pit temple, too...?

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2008, 01:45:08 pm »

This is simply a wonderful thread!  Now, if there's a suitable world, perhaps someone could have an adventurer climb all the major peaks?

The notion of a mountaintop fortress is also a great idea.

I tried it in my world, but found that I would have only elk-pops and ice to lick halfway up.  Then my eyes froze and was eaten by wolves.
Boo!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2008, 01:30:57 pm »

I haven't tried it in the new version yet. I predict catastrophic failure on the first attempt. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2009, 01:31:17 pm »

Necropost due to how awesome this thread is.

Didn't Toady add something where it keeps track of whoever gets to the top of a mountain?

I say we should revive these attempts.  To the top!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:40 pm »

Yes, because a year-and-a-few-months-old topic like this is worth it to be resurrected. This is one of those cases where starting a new one would likely be better.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2009, 02:11:32 pm »

Yes, because a year-and-a-few-months-old topic like this is worth it to be resurrected. This is one of those cases where starting a new one would likely be better.

Why start a new one when this old one is perfectly good?

That's like throwing out an old couch.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE COUCH.  You do not need to buy a new couch every year!  JUST KEEP THE OLD COUCH.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2009, 02:41:30 pm »

It would be cool if people scaled mountains during worldgen.  Then we could have engravings about it.

This is an engraving of the dwarf Urist Iceblood.  The dwarf is frozen.  It relates to the death of Urist Iceblood while trying to climb the mountain Deathmany.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2009, 06:14:18 pm »

It's been ages since I last climbed a mountain, so I dunno which version it was. I'm not exactly a veteran to this game, but... er.

*scratches head*

I remember pretty distinctly that it told me when I reached the summit, which was a round-ish ~2 screen across plattform at the top. The one I climbed wasn't a very hostile one, though.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:44 pm »

It's been ages since I last climbed a mountain, so I dunno which version it was. I'm not exactly a veteran to this game, but... er.

*scratches head*

I remember pretty distinctly that it told me when I reached the summit, which was a round-ish ~2 screen across plattform at the top. The one I climbed wasn't a very hostile one, though.

Yeah, he added it awhile ago.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2009, 03:55:37 am »

Cue rocky theme.

Well that was almost uneventful.
I almost ran out of water half way up, then lo and behold, I stumble across a small brook in this completely desolate wasteland. Armok be praised.

I did however manage to find myself in a relative maze of chasms, and it took about ten dead antmen and a relative horde of naked molemen before I could find my way out again.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2009, 07:24:32 am »

Hahahaha, Nice mountain name there.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2009, 09:06:14 am »

I climbed it..where are my women?!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2009, 02:09:49 pm »

I wonder how much longer my survival tips for food and drink will still be valid...  Man, that was so much fun to discover.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9