Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest  (Read 18119 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2008, 05:38:23 pm »

I didn't know hits to the head could do this.

The computer is a lot better at wresting now. In Fortress mode, I had a novice wrestler break four or five joints on a werewolf before it bled to death.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2008, 11:48:55 pm »

Interesting, I had a novice wrestler get smeared across a wall when he got caught between a rising drawbridge and the wall adjacent to it.

But yeah, both of my climbers were also swordsman with no additional training, and I have seen blunt trauma to the head knock people out, it's pretty crazy.
Shoes...

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »

Hm... Mountaineering will get a lot easier when adventurers can mine. Dig out a little cubbyhole to weather the night in.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2008, 04:57:43 pm »

Hm... Mountaineering will get a lot easier when adventurers can mine. Dig out a little cubbyhole to weather the night in.

And bring a door in your backpack to keep out the eagles.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2008, 12:26:49 pm »

Mine out a 2-deep space.

Use the first rock to make a masons workshop, use the second one as a door made in the masons workshop. Actually hauling a door with you is unnecesary.

Of course, this is all theory, cause' we don't have fort skills yet.

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »

It seems like creating a mason's workshop should involve some kind of stonecrafting tools, at least in adventure mode..  I mean, otherwise, things like "Hahahaha!  Two humongous rocks and an empty cave!  Everything I need to create a masterwork table!" would happen.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »

Just bring some extra spears and a mechanism.  Bang-presto, instant weapon trap!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2008, 05:17:47 pm »

Or three balista parts and a giant bolt.

Dragon? Ha! Lemmie just construct yer doom...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dalzedur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

Heh, reading this thread makes me wish there were skills for jumping and climbing!

When I tried in adventure mode to walk my way through a mountain range, I only found very steep cliffs. I cannot remember which version of DF it was, but does the erosion feature smooth them out in the newer versions, forming ramps?
The Will, The Power, and the Daring

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2008, 04:04:58 pm »

A world with 400-500 temp managed to torch all my dwarves on startup in it's scorching area. Anybody else has some more spare time for further testing?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2008, 11:02:11 pm »

Decided to tackle a climb my own-bad-self, took just a regular old joe with wrestling/throwing and started hurling myself up the mountainside.

My journey started with an ominous portent ... I ran into a hydra.  Fortunately, I saw it before it saw me and I managed to sneak by it, but, it was nice to just run into a megabeast after randomly walking onto a tile. 

Anyway, the journey has been, despite the dire portents at the beginning, pretty relaxing.  Walked through 4 mountain tiles and 1 peak tile heading towards a volcano deep in a mountain range.

Temperature at night still low enough to drink, found lots and lots of rivers to fill my skin up at.

I'm being watched by something virtually everywhere I go, but if it's a giant eagle, I haven't spotted it yet.

Right now I just had to eat and drink and dawn broke so I decided to sleep through the day to start the base of the next mountain at night.

I found an absolutely marvelous place to sleep: I'm right at the base of a 9 Z high waterfall sleeping in the mist.  Ahh.  Woke up without drowsiness, ready to rock. 

Hooah!

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2008, 11:54:36 pm »

Made it across 6 mountain tiles and 6 high mountain tiles and haven't experienced a peak yet, mostly just craggy uphillish momentum.  I keep getting lucky and finding underground streams and stuff, but I'm down to one fish.  I've got some mud on my boots I can eat but, at this point, its certain I'm not getting out of this alive.  Still, I trudge onward.  No sign of Mr. Bigbird yet. 

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2008, 12:00:15 am »

Well, I'm at the highest spot I've found yet and it's tapered off to about a 9 x 9 platau. 

Ironically, as soon as I got up here, as a testament to how mild the weather has been on this climb:  It started raining.  Heh.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:15 am »

Hey guys, seems like Toady agrees with this topic. From the dev_now.

After some forum activity, I bumped up a few things I'd been putting off for a long time -- notification and history events for reaching the top of mountains in adventure mode. It'll pop up a little window if you succeed, and both you and any buddies you brought along will be credited in the legends. Right now it does this on a per-world basis, so it won't bother telling you if your character has climbed a mountain that has already been climbed, but I can change that around later. I also made the peaks taller locally so that they shouldn't often be disappointingly flat. It doesn't currently credit your dwarves if you start your fortress on a low peak or volcano that happened to be accessible.

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:12 am »

Amazing dev_now.
Thanks Toady!
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9