Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest  (Read 18120 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »

I got a better idea. Generate a Medium size map full of mountains (preferably evil) and nasty places and try to get an adventurer from one corner to the other. Vanilla fast travel and tunnel traveling allowed when possible. But the map has to have at least one mountain range that divides it.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 09:41:48 pm »

I got a better idea. Generate a Medium size map full of mountains (preferably evil) and nasty places and try to get an adventurer from one corner to the other. Vanilla fast travel and tunnel traveling allowed when possible. But the map has to have at least one mountain range that divides it.

You know how -long- that would take?

Although with the new world generation stuff where you can draw in junk... You might be able to make a "racecourse" of mountain squares, going through very dangerous and extreme terrain.  First one to get through wins!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 09:55:52 pm »

I'll give it a try later. I'll let you know how it goes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 10:13:37 pm »

Well. I can't even make it to the mountain due to the wolves. Every third tile! I'm walking allong then suddenly buried in 8 wolves that inevitably kill me. The only way I'd be able to make it is move two tiles, save, then move two tiles and save until wolves kill me and I have to go back to my last save.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:20 pm »

Is it me or is this really easy as an elf?

Super speed + no animal attacks = easy climb.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 01:18:58 am »

Elves are clearly cheating ;)

Anyone know what the civ symbols are?

Starting challenge as Mistem Wallslips... it was randomly generated
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:25:12 am by LumenPlacidum »

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 01:52:39 am »

Mistem was making good progress until the eagle caught up to him.  Even then, he was keeping the same distance from it.  Then, he had to spend a turn to drink.  The eagle moved a little closer.  Then, he had to spend a turn to eat.  So, the eagle moved a little closer.  Then, he had to turn north instead of heading west.  So, the eagle caught up a little bit.

Realizing that the thing would not let him be, he turned and tried his axe on the thing.  The axe BOUNCED off and the eagle crippled the axe arm.  Ok.  Bad idea.  He goes back to running away.  Of course, at this point, the eagle is RIGHT behind him.  He steps next to a ramp going down and the eagle charges, pushing him backwards off the ramp.  It was only a little fall, but the stun allowed the eagle to rip off both his legs and knock him unconscious.  We all know what happens after that...

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 06:35:42 am »

Well, I just discovered you shouldn't need too much water... I got to the top on my starting waterskin (I started as a dwarf in a Mountainhome that was as close as I could fast-travel - different map/seed etc).

May I, however, suggest that you bring at least another waterskin with you in order to get back down. And when you get the message 'Night is falling', do your drinking and eating then (assuming your water hasn't already frozen).

I also accidentally discovered that dwarves can last a very long time without any water. I was trudging along, dehydrated, wondering exactly which step would be my last... I eventually gave up and jumped in a chasm.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 10:11:17 am »

This gives me an interesting idea... that Embark Anywhere utility could be used to create a mountaintop fortress. Would be an interesting goal, especially if there was an artifact weapon hidden in it's depths.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 10:23:12 am »

Yeah, put some clever traps in the way, that could be cool.
Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 10:53:04 am »

When I get home I am going to spend some time and make a racecourse map... Max width, smallest height, then have mountain ranges cutting it off.  Go from the left side of the map to the right side of the map to win.

Twill be fun!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2008, 12:58:38 pm »

reminds me of one of my old maps -.- to get across to the human cities you had to go across a MASSIVE mountain range... needless to say i died :P damn chasms.

Antlia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2008, 01:28:07 pm »

Imagine what it could be like when Toady gets these two things included in the game:

I: Ways to obtain food while traveling (hunt/gather) 
II.B.2: Way to build shelter/home and ability to save it as a permanent site

And then you could make a little cottage to the mountaintop and live there alone, trying to get your living from mountaingoats and dodge the giant eagles. What a game would that be!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2008, 01:39:45 pm »

A creepy old hermit in the mountains simulator.  I'm suddenly more excited for the next release than I was for this one.
Shoes...

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 04:21:39 pm »

Hmm. Methinks a challenge wherein you have to travel a massive mountain, swim an ocean and then traverse a desert would be fun.

Would take a long time, but scorching, freezing, and carp-filled terrain?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9