Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarves around the wor(l)d  (Read 2429 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves around the wor(l)d
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

Dutch: dwerg (pronounced dvaerg)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

zak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 05:31:00 am »

In romanian it's "pitic".

Deon, when they translated LOTR over here the dwarves also became "gnomes", but Snowhite's dwarves have always been dwarves in the romanian version.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 07:08:00 am »

Portuguese? anão.

At least, thats what my shaky understanding of my Fathers language results in. And Babelfish.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 07:27:00 am »

German: Zwerg

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

Scots: Wee man.

....What?

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Canadian: That little Newfie
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by zak:
<STRONG>In romanian it's "pitic".

Deon, when they translated LOTR over here the dwarves also became "gnomes", but Snowhite's dwarves have always been dwarves in the romanian version.</STRONG>

What? I thought the snowhite's dwarves were gnomes not dwarves...
Err, because when I was a child I've read a snowhite russian translations, and there were ALWAYS small beardy gnomes.
Weird. It's like to understand that there's no more Santa.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

In Hungarian:
"Törpe" - standard
"Törp" - Tolkienish

"Törpék" and "Törpök" are the respective plurals.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: ShunterAlhena ]

fox has become enraged!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Croatian: patuljak
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Angellus

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

I like the political one XD

Dutch: 'Dwerg'

zak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>

What? I thought the snowhite's dwarves were gnomes not dwarves...
Err, because when I was a child I've read a snowhite russian translations, and there were ALWAYS small beardy gnomes.
Weird. It's like to understand that there's no more Santa.</STRONG>

I guess it depends on who is doing the translation. All the versions I've ever heard/read talk of Snow White and the seven dwarves, where "dwarves" is translated as "pitici". We have the word "gnom" too ("gnome" in english), but it comes from the latin "gnomus", which means "knowledge". And I am under the impression that in European mythology "dwarves" and "gnomes" are interchangeable, and do not suffer the same distinction as they do in the American D&D, where they are different races.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>In Hungarian:
"Törpe" - standard
"Törp" - Tolkienish

"Törpék" and "Törpök" are the respective plurals.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: ShunterAlhena ]</STRONG>

I'm curious now what it is in Finnish and in Basque (part of Spain)
Those three languages are supposed to be quite similar.
And very different from all other languages spoken on the Eurasian continent.

Chinese, Spanish and Dutch, for example, can be rooted back to an ancestral common language and have more in common than Finnish and Swedish, Spanish and Basque or Hungarian and Bulgarian.
Even the languages that influenced the formation of , for example, Dutch language in the past 4000 years (Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Roman, a.o.) have more in common with each other then present-day Finnish and Swedish (two neigbouring countries)
Linguist have recreated (parts of) the ancestral language, even. It is called Proto-Eurasian.

Commonly accepted theory for the similarities in language across the Eurasian continent is... The domestication of the horse.

It is known by archeological finds that the pre-historic tribes in the region of Mongolia were the first advanced human tribes to domesticate horses.
This provided them with such an enormous advantage in mobility (and military capabilities) that they conquered and spread all over the continent in a relatively short period. We're not talking Gengis Khan here, we're talking pre-historics.

Somehow, in Europe, three small enclaves resisted or were overlooked by the onslaught. (Asterix and Obelix's great-multi-grandfathers perhaps). Those enclaves kept their language,  which used to be common in Europe. That's why Finnish, Hungarian and Basque are similar to each other (linguistically speaking), but alien to the other Eurasian languages. There are probably more languages in geographically remote locations or, more importantly, locations where horses do not provide an advantage, that have an older root than the Proto-Eurasian (pre-historic Mongolian) language.

Another interesting example of the importance of transportation and intercultural contact for the development of language can be observed in (I think) some of the the Guinea islands. On those islands tribes developed and thrived for thousands of years. But, since they were seperated from each other by inhospitable mountain peeks, canyons and jungle, they never developed civilized contact. (The lone wanderer that did happen to stumble upon another tribe was killed, and since most of the tribes were cannibalists, eaten.)
When the tribes were discovered in the second half of the previous century, linguists (that were not eaten) were baffled by the difference between the languages of people who lived only 20-30km apart. Again, Chinese and Dutch (or Chinese and English, for that matter) have more similarities than said languages on the Guinea isles.

Sorry for boring you.     ;)

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

Korean: 난쟁이 (pronounced nan-jaeng-ee)

but in computer games, the transliterated word 드워프 (pronounced deu-wuh-peu) is used.

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:00 am »

Estonian: "päkapikk". Something your average dwarf would probably take offense at, since it implies (and literally means) that they're only as tall as one's thumb. Another word used is "kääbus" (similar to Finnish "kääpiö), but this is rarely used for fantasy creatures.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

In Arabic it would be something close to kazaū.  The pronunciation is a bit off, but it's made out of the qāf - zāy - wāw roots.  Of course it refers to 'dwarf' as in 'midget', not a western fantasy creature.

And no, I'm not fluent in Arabic or anything, I just have an interest in it, so take that with a grain of salt.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4