Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which UI (non-graphic) stuff would you like Toady to change/fix the most?  (Read 2666 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Drop the U,H,K,M entirely and go for just the style used in the designate menu. Much larger areas, much faster, fewer keystrokes, could be done with the mouse, auto-ignores obstacles, etc.

I dunno, I kind of like saying 'I want to make something THIS big.  Now, where does it fit?'

Well, in that case you could use the designation method to set the size and some scrolling option to move the area around. But not U,H,K,M

(shrug) I don't hate your suggestion...  Works for me.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page

Mouseover tips that acted like Look would be interesting when paused.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, use alpha channels for transparency. This as a whole will create a strong foundation for future universal tilesets, when(if)ever that happens.

Toady would use alpha if there wasn't currently a problem with using it.  I think the 2d OpenGL libraries he's using react badly.

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) Probably too much of a pain: Separating viewport and UI elements graphically, so we can have fairly hi-res lists and interfaces while still keeping our nice ASCII map. While I understand why Toady would want to delay improvements to gameworld graphics until later, as they could result in headaches for implementing new game mechanics, the UI isn't really subject to the same restriction.

2) Better unit/job lists: like basic Windows lists at least (select columns, sort by columns, filter certain unit/job types or put on separate tabs -- for example, put enemies on one tab, dwarves on another, filter out corpses, etc.)

3) Somewhere in the arcane UI settings, disable certain tab setups from rotation so it only rotates between the two or three you use most. Although, for all I know, that's already in somewhere.

4) Option to use smaller menus that use buttons/icons to get their point across. Even combinations of icons -- for example, a "Construct" icon, a "Wood" icon, and a "Cabinet" icon would make the point with 3 characters and a hotkey. The main benefit here would be reducing screen real estate dedicated to menus without resorting to #1 above.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Drop the U,H,K,M entirely and go for just the style used in the designate menu. Much larger areas, much faster, fewer keystrokes, could be done with the mouse, auto-ignores obstacles, etc.
Agree.

You would have to ensure that the arrow keys always scroll and Enter always selects, and that Space always goes back.
ESC should always go back.  Space is kind of an accepted "activate" or "action" button in every other game.

Menu's should only appear when an action is being done.  Clicking the mouse or hitting the space bar on a tile should open menu options for that tile.  (channel, down stair, designate begin, etc.)

Arrow keys should be context dependent.  When you're in a menu, arrows should navigate that menu (instead of +/-), not change the map location.  PgUp/PgDn should be context as well.  If you're in a menu they should page the menu.  If you are in a screen with complex submenus (like the custom stockpiles) the options should activate with the space/Enter and navigate using the arrows (like they do now) instead of having different keys for enabling or disabling items.  (Enter, A, B, E, D, F, P)

That's all I can think of right now.  Haven't been interested in playing recently mainly because of the interface to be honest.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Id have to say, if any is bitching about the UI for dwarf fortress being too complex or hard to use.

Then maybe dwarf fortress ain't for you.

Learning the UI is the easy part. Learning the game is a much harder thing.

The UI for dwarf fortress is perfect the way it is. I see nothing that needs changing with it.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile

The UI doesn't make the game. Gameplay is what makes the game. And no one here is complaining about gameplay complexity in this thread.

There's no perfect UI. And a bad UI can actually hurt playability. If the UI can be simplified to improve playability without altering the game complexity then it must be eventually changed. Even Toady has acknowledged there are things that need changing in the UI, both in interviews and in the game forums. He has made changes to the UI in every version to make them easier to use.

Besides, this is a suggestion forums. We are not bitching, we are making suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:12:50 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are the enemy of progress.

hehe, id rather see game play progress then UI progress.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile

nevermind

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page

hehe, id rather see game play progress then UI progress.

Protip: These things are intertwined.

Take a look at the construction interface if you are inclined to argue further.
Pages: 1 [2]