Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Great game, new to... tutorials seem a bit confusing in the the wiki...  (Read 2182 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

how can I farm if I don't find damp ground?

It doesn't have to be damp. It can be soil. Everything here will work just fine.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Soil
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh is there a key that I can bring up, that will list all my dwarves, then I can select a dwarf from that list to change jobs, ect.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile

Oh is there a key that I can bring up, that will list all my dwarves, then I can select a dwarf from that list to change jobs, ect.

u
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can also turn on plant gathering for some dwarves, and (D)esignate some bushes to be gathered from. The bushes look like green apostrophes ("). If they aren't already decent at gathering, they may gather a dozen times with no result, but as they practice, they will gather above-ground plants like wild strawberries, fisher berries, prickle berries, among others.

The seeds of those aboveground plants can be planted in aboveground farming plots.

You just have to wait for your dwarves to eat the plant to produce the seed, or brew the plant yourself at a Still workshop to get alcohol and the seeds.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile

Ok all you guys are helping alot I'm getting this to work... Ok i'm constructing a mason workshop... how do I know when it's complete and how do I check it's status to see if it's being worked on?

Q shows its current status. If it is being worked on, it will say under construction (and maybe waiting mason, if your mason is busy doing something else). If it is built, it will give you the option to start production or change the workshops settings.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do i remove stone from a the a room (the stone laying on the ground?)

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do i remove stone from a the a room (the stone laying on the ground?)

In the new version, you can just press 'd' for designate, 'b' for.. whatever it stands for, and 'h', then select all the things you want to be hidden. The stone will be invisible, but still usable. Unless you are some diehard obsessive-compulsive DF player, this should make you happy.

Or you can do the old method, which is detailed on the wiki somewhere and will give all your hauling dwarves something to do.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Also note that if you cook meal from your plants it won't produce seeds, so be careful with it.

If the dwarves eat a plant, they get seeds from it.
If the dwarves brew a plant, they get seeds from it.
If the dwarves cook a plant, they don't get seeds from it.

Go to your kitchen menu ("z"->"Kitchen") and I suggest you to switch the cooking of your primary plants off, at least till the time you have a lot (and if you cook food).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TheBoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick note: The best things to grow early on are plump helmets, as they don't need processing before they can be eaten.

Losing is fun!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're trying to plant Rock Nuts, the crop they grow into is called a Quarry Bush.  I found that a little unintuitive when I started.

Holy crap! I didn't even know that until just now....time to start bringing Rock Nuts on embark!

Hell, just recently it was that I learned that of all the underground plants, only sweet pods, cave wheat and plump helmets were edible and only after processing...and only a couple others were brewable! I'd been growing dimple cups and crap all over the place; turns out I can dye the whole world if I want but not eat!
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/images/6/65/Df-crops-diagram.png
((from: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Alcohol))

The above diagram should be some help for those that are still dabbling farmers :P

Its also worth noting that alcoholic beverages can and will be used when cooking. Which on itself isn't that far fetched, except that DF takes it a step further. So much further that it is regarded as cheating almost.

To start out with Plump helmets will be good for a goodtime, they can be grown the entire year. They are used to eat (raw, no kitchen/cooking needed) and are used to brew drinks with (which also are used for food).

After a year or so I start setting up the rest of the crops... Once you get the hang of it, you will be swimming in food. I actually started selling some as 4k food for 50ish dwarves is just silly in my current fortress.

The little buggers drink like maniacs though... a good thing, I like my maniacs drunk... Wouldn't want it any other way.

((edit: typos and removed img tags, just click on it...))
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:03:10 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...

Unfortunately, confusion and not being sure what to do are goin to be the story of your life for the next day or two until you've mastered the interface and everything.

I've just got to say that this was a superb reply. I'm new to the game, too, and the interface is terrible,... but it's well worth the effort. This is truly a great game!

It just has a huge learning curve...

Farms are tricky, though the wiki has some great articles on the whole thing. I had a lot of trouble setting up an underground farm, because I couldn't seem to flood it when it was full of rocks (and I had a very slow time getting rid of the rocks!) I recommend that you use a completely-unskilled miner to dig out your subterranean farm plots!

Meanwhile, I planted some crops outside in ordinary soil. You can't plant the same crops as inside, and you can't buy those seeds at embark, but a herbalist will gather seeds while 'plant gathering.' And setting up outside farm plots - a separate one for each type of plant you want to grow - is very easy (provided you're on soil, not rock). You don't have to flood it or anything.

The interface for farming is not at all intuitive, but I think I'm figuring it out. For one thing, it's hard to see what's highlighted on my monitor. There's very little difference in brightness. But pressing 'q' and moving to a farming plot should show you a list of plants that can be grown there in that particular season (the current season should already be highlighted). Just arrow down to the one you want and press enter to highlight that crop. That's it (ignore fertilization, for now).

One last tip: Check out the kitchen stocks screen ('z') to see how many seeds you have. That might help you decide what to plant (though not everything is edible - check the wiki for that).

Good luck! This game is really worth the trouble, I assure you.

Bill

Anikki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The interface is fine (bit quirky maybe) once you know the most important hotkeys by heart it really opens up. Its kinda like being forced to become a hardcore player before you can play at all... after that the game is actually quite casual ;-)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

my soldiers wont attack the 2 crocks who are right undertheire noses and harassing my peasant who is in a bed,theyve got my best equipment,harass dangerus wild animals and chase opponent on also theire on duty so whats going on?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile

I don't really find the interface .. confusing at all...

Of course I been around the since the ascii era of games and I'm used to text based stuff. Mom send me on a type-writer course when I was like 12 and I'm used touch typing for more then halve my life.

YMMV though ... stuff could be easier but 39x made my day with adding some more features for building walls and the like. I don't doubt the fact that more stuff is coming later on.
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3