Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Great game, new to... tutorials seem a bit confusing in the the wiki...  (Read 2181 times)

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need all the help I can get... played the game a bit, made an underground cave--figured that out--- farming, I don' have a clue... I figured out how to select my plot size, my farmer then goes and works the plot... I get a bunch of brown ~ doubled though... I can't seem to plant any seeds, yet I have seeds... I don't get the option to select my seeds I wish to plant... I see fertalize and all the other options... but no options to select which seeds I want to plant... also I'm trying to make a workshop, my dwarves stop, then don't finish is that because i don't have the required materials to build it? getting very frustrated... please help

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortuntely, confusion and not being sure what to do are goin to be the story of your life for the next day or two until you've mastered the interface and everything.

My only tip is use both tutorials on the wiki ("My first fort" and "illustrated tutorial" as they each contain valuable info that the other one doesn't. Look up other things liberally that are still not clear and make lots of forum threads asking about stuff.

It worked for me!
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those were the tutorials I have been using, but like I said my farm and seed problem and my dwarves not completing the workshop,,,, neither tutorial states reason why for this they just assume you know everything already... ahh well

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

1. What season is it?  Hit "z" to open the status screen, look in the top right.

2. What workshop are you trying to build, and what cancellation message are you getting?

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Farming: press q while the cursor is near the farm and you should see several options. Some of these will be for Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter. Select one and from there you can assign what seed to plant in the plot. Note that some seeds only grow either above or below ground.

Also, is your plot on soil or bare rock? If rock, it needs to be flooded first to get muddy before you can plant.

Workshop: again use the q command with the cursor near the shop. There should be a message telling you what's up. It may be a material isn't there, or you may not have a dwarf with the appropriate skill active.

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're trying to plant Rock Nuts, the crop they grow into is called a Quarry Bush.  I found that a little unintuitive when I started.

OH, just realized, your farm might not be underground.  To grow Dwarven crops your farm has to be underground.  List of crops here.  Tells you what seasons and where each kind can be planted.

Also, fertilizer is not needed.  That's for when you have potash; it increases production and is completely optional.  If you have a decent growing operation you'll probably never need to fertilize.

To check why a building has stopped construction, press q and move your cursor near it.  In addition to a building material, you often need someone that can use it to finish it.  For example, if you don't have a fish cleaner, you can't build a fishery until you do.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In addition to a building material, you often need someone that can use it to finish it.  For example, if you don't have a fish cleaner, you can't build a fishery until you do.

Just to follow up on this, you just need someone with the skill active, not someone who actually has the occupation title.

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhh I was planting above ground, that is probably why :) TY folks... I will try it next time I'm on it should work now, right if I plant below ground? But I need wet/damp/muddy ground right?  How do I get it wet?

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhh I was planting above ground, that is probably why :) TY folks... I will try it next time I'm on it should work now, right if I plant below ground? But I need wet/damp/muddy ground right?  How do I get it wet?

Flooding!

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

flodding how do I do that?

Also I built some stock piles outside as suggest in the tutorial... but when I want to make them inside, how do I move the items from outside to inside my cave... then stop using the ones outside and the stockpiles inside to be used... and waht does this mean --Make sure your refuse stockpile is then separated by a door or even an airlock-like double door
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:20:16 pm by momodig »

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile

An easier way is to plant in soil / loam / any coloured sand. Generally the top layer or two below forests will be sand - dig out a cavern there and you can build a farm and plant quite easily.

Flooding things, while fun, is just a tad more complicated!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

prome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

There's great help for farming in wiki. Basicly you build two rooms separated by a floodgate. This way you can flood your farming room with water, just enough to make the ground go wet, and it'll become muddy -> farmable. Or just build your farmplots to sand layers as said.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

flodding how do I do that?

Also I built some stock piles outside as suggest in the tutorial... but when I want to make them inside, how do I move the items from outside to inside my cave... then stop using the ones outside and the stockpiles inside to be used... and waht does this mean --Make sure your refuse stockpile is then separated by a door or even an airlock-like double door

Flooding is dangerous and needs an understanding of the lever/mechanics system in order to end well.  Or a chasm.

As to your stockpile problem, you're best bet is to set up your inside stockpile, select it with Q, then press T and drag the cursor over to your outdoor stockpiles, and press enter.  That will set your dwarves to put everything in the outer stockpile into the inner one, though they will put things in the outer one once the inner is full.  It would be easier to just delete the external stockpile, but if you've got food and know your dwarves will take their time with it, it may very well rot before it gets stored.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok all you guys are helping alot I'm getting this to work... Ok i'm constructing a mason workshop... how do I know when it's complete and how do I check it's status to see if it's being worked on?

Thanks

momodig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

how can I farm if I don't find damp ground?
Pages: [1] 2 3