Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new  (Read 5786 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by UrbanWanderer:
<STRONG>First thing will be to find the underground river (assuming its still there). Next is to build my entire fort underneath the river.

That, or the underwater city like Rapture. Maybe with magma, if I'm ambitious enough.</STRONG>

That's a fabulous idea! Rewall an entire fortress with clear glass - walls, floor, and ceiling. Then carve out a huge space around it, leaving a tremendous void. Then flood the whole thing with water! You can have a couple spires poking out to islands at the surface with bridges to the mainland for access.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

Build a massive golden fortress  :D i want everything out of gold!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by CharonX:
<STRONG>I'll build a fortress thats a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.   :D
Eat this, path-finding algorithm!</STRONG>

Actually, the path-finding algorithm is highly impressive.  I built an enormous maze (the thread is in the Dwarf Mode forum somewhere, although I meant to put it in the Adventure Mode forum) called Morullecad.  Even when the maze got to epic size, my little guys had no problems at all finding their way through it.  And it was damn twisty and turny, too.

Oh what fun it shall be to do that in THREE dimensions!  (Muahaha!)

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

My first plan is to make a huge fortress 2 levels onderground, dig out the surrounding sqaures and redirect the river to dump into the moat.
then make a central spill tower inside the fort that drops water over the sides, and build a chamber ontop that will drop INTO the water on my command dropping it 8 or so stories INTO WATER where said prisoners will be released and drown.

alternatevly i could make the fort completely underground and have a small spill tower 2 levels above ground , with a small room where the floor will disappear somehow and drop dwarves into water and drain said water into a pond that recycles back into the moat, possibly spilling over onto the world making siegers mad.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2007, 06:19:00 pm »

I'm trying to decide between "SimAnt" and "Cube".

Actually, more realistically, I want to build an enormous superhighway running all the way through the mountain--just one big corridor.  Stairs branch off the sides of the highway for access to all the raw materials, workshops, sleeping rooms...

...and if possible, make the highway open space two or three stories high, and fight off sieges by planting archers behind fortifications on the top floor where they can rain death on the whole highway.

[ September 19, 2007: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

My most twisted idea so far is to carve out a giant sleeping woman of the mountin and use as a fort having the entrence between the legs and a flowing magma defence... But i probably won't...
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2007, 09:22:00 pm »

Hmmm all this about spawning on top of humans has given me another idea... What if I took my wooden fort and built it out of a bunch elven trees!
Then the walls of my fort would have names.
The only real issue is how to get the elves out of the forest... or more accurately how to get the magma to the forest.

And yes I do hate elves, can you blame me?

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

I'm going to find an underground river, then carve out large room below, supported only by supports, all of which will be linked to one lever on the surface (or if need be one level below). then I will carve out a tube of rock descending fron the surface until only the supports remain and throw the lever and see how high the flood goes. also see if the flood will bursst out the column of stairways built into the mountain to get to the surface in the first place.

Right after that I'm going to find a nice big swamp, and build me a castle with a gigantic support-mounted basement, then I'll knock out all the supports and collapse the castle. Then I'll build another castle with a supported basement in that swamp and I'll knock out the supports and sink that castle. But the third castle, it'll stay up.

[ September 20, 2007: Message edited by: Thallone ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

Q: What is the first thing you are going to do when the new release comes?

A: Download it.  Then, install it.

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

I have to build the regular Island Fortress, with only a single bridge to the main land. This may or may not be built before the Dwarf Star, a spherical stone titan protruding out of the new life-like cliff sides, and/or the Great Big Face, featuring a magma-spewing face protruding, or perhaps a big hole straight down, with narrow paths along the interior, or make a Dwarven Skyscraper out of glass windows and steel bars! KANT WAYTE!
.@..**@.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

im going to try to find a mountain with a valley in it Then im going to carve out both sides and link them with a castle. The castle is going to be massive with multiple siege emplacements, magma channels and traps.

If people somehow make it in the front gate i can open the door into a siege-hall with fortifications and a neat drawbridge design ill show you guys later.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2007, 02:47:00 am »

I'm going to build a fortress next to the sea with a mountain rising up a short distance away, and create tons of glass items from the sand(a glass throne for every dwarf). Oh and use a system of pumps to create a sea water aquarium room with  fish and other sea animals in it.

[ September 22, 2007: Message edited by: Fourth Triad ]

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2007, 03:03:00 am »

I've played Bioshock lately, so I'm going to do what it seems others also will: make Rapture in Fortressform!

Then I'll try to get economy started really fast, and watch it decay.. I will have one dwarf (based on "Ryan") that I'll give everything he needs. I think I'll name him after myself.

How cool wouldn't it be if there was an endgame where the whole fortress went nuts, and you could come back as an adventurer and find people fight and eat each other?

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2007, 03:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG?:
<STRONG>... or perhaps a big hole straight down, with narrow paths along the interior... </STRONG>

Oooh ER! I like this idea! Like in the movie Fortress where it's just one big circular prison with rooms (cells) off the centre. Except it would be an open-air hole, like a cylindrical strip-mine. Not much for the defences, would cause a lot of dwarven nausea but still pretty do-able and spectacular.

I guess we will really be breaking out of that mould we've been playing of making the entrance a sideways, horizontal opening. I wonder how long it will take to shake that feeling of "This isn't right" when we make a westwards entry into the mountain?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

Ooh. Sort of inspired by the last idea but kinda not.

Mine out this massive expanse deep underground, all the way to the bottom, and have the dwarf buildings nestled at the very top (probably a row 5 tiles thickness for buildings, everything else under that mined out), interconnected with bridges.

Refuse, unwanted items, and corpses get thrown into this near-endless pit. With any hope I can also work a defense to send a good chunk of goblin sieges down to their doom.

5 tiles thickness to allow for two rooms on top of each other, or rooms with a ceiling three tiles up.

I could see the benifits, first it seems like a pretty cool idea, maybe flood parts of the bottom with magma for theme... and you get an absoultely massive amount of stone, ore, and gems, whether that be for good or ill.

And another branch of the idea, maybe make the settlement slightly larger (say, 9 tiles thickness for up to 4 rooms stacked on each other), and make the area below a massive underground forest complete with hills, rock spires, and waterfalls falling all the way from the ceiling... the water forming ponds and small streams. In this idea the bottom is far more accessable, having passageways down (probably some of the supports are larger and have a stairwell running inside of them)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10