Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349552 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2145 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:28 pm »

Yeah, let's mod in some Dwarf Fortress into real life.  To make it more realistic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: May 01, 2009, 03:43:33 pm »

Yeah, let's mod in some Dwarf Fortress into real life.  To make it more realistic.

But doesn't Dwarf Fortress diverge from reality at several points to keep a more game/fantasy flair?

For example "Murderous Wolves"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: May 01, 2009, 03:49:41 pm »

Not to mention the arrows...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 01, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »

Not to mention the arrows...

The arrows is more about features that havn't been put into the game yet... then a feature intentionally put into the game.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 01, 2009, 10:28:50 pm »

I expect that with the new update the combat will be completely changed. No more arrows of instant death, for example.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:53 pm »

I would hope not, with all of the new tissue information.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 01, 2009, 11:03:56 pm »

But with the new materials' system I hope armor will be really effective against arrows, as they were in real life.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: May 02, 2009, 01:47:58 pm »

Not all armor laughs at arrows. In fact, your armor is worthless for someone with luck or amazing accuracy, or a horde of archers. Every type of armor has its weakpoints, and every arrow has a well enough chance of hitting there and wounding you. And back then, every wound would be liable to get you, with diseases and blood loss.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 02, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »

I would hope not, with all of the new tissue information.

Just to make sure, I'll be modding my adventurer with an extra thick neck
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 02, 2009, 01:59:21 pm »

Not all armor laughs at arrows. In fact, your armor is worthless for someone with luck or amazing accuracy, or a horde of archers. Every type of armor has its weakpoints, and every arrow has a well enough chance of hitting there and wounding you. And back then, every wound would be liable to get you, with diseases and blood loss.

... and all of that has a fair chance of being represented in the next version.

Wow, I just had one of those dwarf fortress moments.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 03, 2009, 07:56:13 am »

I expect that with the new update the combat will be completely changed. No more arrows of instant death, for example.

Well combat results will be much more realistic, compared to what we have now at least....[tissue layers / material based dmg etc.]
The combat arc will take care of the rest.  ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2156 on: May 04, 2009, 01:03:49 am »

Threetoe's avatar is his guinea pig Faustus.  They have three toes on each back foot.  The four in the front may be toes, but they don't count as toes, because they are in the front.

Quote from: umiman
I'm not sure if it's been asked, but how was Valve Toady?

It was fun.  We were fed and we got to play computers games and see people make movies and stuff, and talk about making games and that sort of thing, so it was all pretty cool.

Quote from: Akroma
on a different note, will some of them be flooded with magma as well?

Yeah, there's magma, though it's not finished, along with HFS and interlinks between that sort of thing.  and stuff.

Quote from: Neonivek
Toady what are the future plans for the Beastmen in the sense of a social/civilisation structure if I am allowed to ask? Will they be Civilised or as an "Intelligent" creature will they automatically be drawn to form societies?

These change quite a bit.  We want the aboveground Animal Peoples more or less aligned with regional spirits and uneasily with elves when they are in contact, but the underground Animal Peoples are more insane and antisocial and also use crude weapons where the aboveground ones might not.  Ideally the intelligent creatures will be able to form structures for their societies themselves -- it's a difficult problem though, so we're going to start that experiment with the goblins, who will not have any pre-defined entity positions.  More:

Quote from: Javis
Question about the new subterranean entity definition. I thought you could only define it as one creature. I guess it can be multiple creatures in the new build?
Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
I think Toady meant something other than actual underground entities. I thought it was more akin to "entityless entities", as in "entity-within-a-creature", so that you can define some of the entity-level stuff in a subsection of the creature definition.
Quote from: Aqizzar
I asked Toady a while back about how modifiable the new underground scripting stuff would be, and he said basically not at all, since it relies on item-generation code that can't (for some time yet) be moved out into raw files.  I might be misunderstanding just what sub-entity definition means.

Entity definitions could always accept more than one creature, but this doesn't mean that the creatures occur within the same instance of that civilization.  It distributes them evenly -- there is a new full entity definition for the underground animal peoples, and it has 8 creature entries.  This means that for each layer, it'll choose from among the 8 available and create a layer civ, just of that kind.  You can change the selection of weapons and everything else in the raws there.  Because the civ is "LAYER_LINKED", a shortcut flag until I sort this out, things like trading and so on won't be respected.  It's a catch-all flag much like BABY_SNATCHER and NUISANCE used to be, and it'll undergo the same kind of evolution most likely, until things start to make more sense.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 04, 2009, 01:41:40 am »

Threetoe's avatar is his guinea pig Faustus.  They have three toes on each back foot.  The four in the front may be toes, but they don't count as toes, because they are in the front.

I find that strangely quotable for some reason.  Maybe it's lack of sleep.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 04, 2009, 05:01:38 am »

More:

Huh?

Ideally the intelligent creatures will be able to form structures for their societies themselves -- it's a difficult problem though, so we're going to start that experiment with the goblins, who will not have any pre-defined entity positions.

I'll look forward to it.

Actually I am a bit surprised you answered my question so Thanks once again Toady.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2159 on: May 04, 2009, 05:08:49 am »

More:

Huh?

Just meant that the next part was an expansion of the current part.  Probably shouldn't try both of the long replies all at once.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 148