Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349636 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2115 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:35 am »

Ok then some "demonic Metal" maybe.

You just made me imagine a Spirit of Fire Death Metal band.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 22, 2009, 03:31:11 am »

Yeah, while awesome the (massive amounts of underground water) make me really, really, really glad for that 'turn off the damp stone/lava warnings' utility. I just hope the maker updates it for the new version!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:14 am »

Yeah, while awesome the (massive amounts of underground water) make me really, really, really glad for that 'turn off the damp stone/lava warnings' utility. I just hope the maker updates it for the new version!

The whole announcement system got updated a couple months ago, so you can customize recentering, auto-pausing, etc. for all events.

Quote from: dev log
#  02/21/2009: The combat/hunting/sparring reports work. You can view adv mode style messages by creature and category (comb/hunt/spar) now and all of the announcements have associated dates. Those that have associated locations are zoomable from the announcement/report screens. I also messed around with the text some more... a work in progress. It's also highlighted some strange issues, like with the brain pretending to be outside and all that. List updated.

# 02/19/2009: Updated another 40 or so announcements -- this time it was all of the ones that cause pausing and recentering. The only pause-recenter that isn't handled is the full invasion, since that full page announcement occurs under a different system. So it's not quite to the point where you could turn off all of the pausing messages, say, and run the game without interruption, but it's much closer. I also finished up the first pass on combat text. Once I get notices up (probably tomorrow), I'll finish that as well.

# 02/18/2009: I've updated the 40 or so peripheral combat messages to the new system and set up the information that is sent in to main strike message creator.

Combat messages in dwarf mode will default to notices -- this means that they aren't displayed at the bottom, but instead give you a little letter notice on the left bar of the screen according to the type of combat message (combat/sparring/hunting). You'll then be able to view the stored combat messages, separated into combat/hunting/sparring lists for each dwarf.

Remaining bits are the strike message's actual text, setting up announcement options by type (appears in a pause box? pauses-recenters? logged with the notices or in the main queue? etc.), setting up the notice screen, and updating the main announcement screen. For any updated announcement that can possibly have associated coordinates, you'll be able to recenter the view from the main announcement screen and from the notices. I won't be updating many of the announcements this time around, but I'll try to catch the ones that I've heard the most about (mineral popups, job cancellations, death announcements, etc.). Announcements that I don't hit will work as usual.

# 02/17/2009: I've been looking over the announcement situation in general, and I think I'll be able to do dwarf mode combat reports as well as put in some announcement zooming/filtering/etc. without much trouble, though there will likely be some restrictions at first (in that I might not update all 500+ announcement types with individual tags at this time). I've put in some of the infrastructure for that, and I've also gotten started on the combat text.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 22, 2009, 11:15:00 am »

You know what I hope comes with the next version?

Selecting which castes you bring with you on embark. That way, you could, say, add a custom creature to your entity, say a human, and you'd start a fort with 6 dwarves and a human. Would be nice if no humans emigrated, or if there was some sort of option in the entity like [IMMIGRANT:NO] or something. Or you could just have humans and dwarves in a mix or something like that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 22, 2009, 11:33:37 am »

You know what I hope comes with the next version?

Selecting which castes you bring with you on embark. That way, you could, say, add a custom creature to your entity, say a human, and you'd start a fort with 6 dwarves and a human. Would be nice if no humans emigrated, or if there was some sort of option in the entity like [IMMIGRANT:NO] or something. Or you could just have humans and dwarves in a mix or something like that.

The next version will probably just randomly pick a caste for each migrant (since gender is now handled via caste).  I doubt we'll see any sophisticated changes to migrant selection until it gets a real overhaul with migrants being drawn from historical figures etc.  Although there might still be a good argument for just preventing some castes from ever being migrants.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04:09 pm »

Toady just put up a special sub-entity type thing to let underground animalmen have weapons/clothes without having to track each individual as a historical figure and also possibly without having to have settlements. That's actually something i suggested some time back.

WOO!  :D

This paves the way for a similar sub-entity thing for intelligent (semi-)megabeasts. No more titanic nudists, and bronze colossi can get ginormous suits of bronze armor and huge bronze weapons. From what i understand about what he just set up, you can apply it to aboveground creatures without any hitches already, so we can get ogres with clubs and tigermen with spears etc. Awesome.

Edit: Also, ThreeToe's avatar is a capybara. Silly forumgoers.

Huh, for some reason I thought he was a hamster. Capybaras are awesome.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 22, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »

Toady just put up a special sub-entity type thing to let underground animalmen have weapons/clothes without having to track each individual as a historical figure and also possibly without having to have settlements. That's actually something i suggested some time back.

WOO!  :D

This paves the way for a similar sub-entity thing for intelligent (semi-)megabeasts. No more titanic nudists, and bronze colossi can get ginormous suits of bronze armor and huge bronze weapons. From what i understand about what he just set up, you can apply it to aboveground creatures without any hitches already, so we can get ogres with clubs and tigermen with spears etc. Awesome.

Edit: Also, ThreeToe's avatar is a capybara. Silly forumgoers.

Huh, for some reason I thought he was a hamster. Capybaras are awesome.

Tigermen?! Awesome!
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 22, 2009, 09:55:01 pm »

Question about the new subterranean entity definition. I thought you could only define it as one creature. I guess it can be multiple creatures in the new build?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: April 23, 2009, 02:32:10 am »

I think Toady meant something other than actual underground entities. I thought it was more akin to "entityless entities", as in "entity-within-a-creature", so that you can define some of the entity-level stuff in a subsection of the creature definition.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2124 on: April 23, 2009, 09:59:02 am »

I think Toady meant something other than actual underground entities. I thought it was more akin to "entityless entities", as in "entity-within-a-creature", so that you can define some of the entity-level stuff in a subsection of the creature definition.

I suspect that this will mean that Adventure mode is going to feature about 40% more player-controlled titans, colossi, and spirits of fire obliterating towns.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:05 pm »

Mmm.... adamantine wearing spirits of fire... It's like fighting a volcano with wooden weapons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 23, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »

Oh yeah, demon lords in full adamantine plate. If this sub-entity stuff is what I think it is, these parameters better be caste-specific.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 23, 2009, 05:39:30 pm »

I asked Toady a while back about how modifiable the new underground scripting stuff would be, and he said basically not at all, since it relies on item-generation code that can't (for some time yet) be moved out into raw files.  I might be misunderstanding just what sub-entity definition means.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 24, 2009, 08:44:31 am »

the balrogs will have to wait until we get HFS below the HFS

IFS? (Immensely Fun Stuff).

Some sort of horribly tentacled thing pops out and melts whatever breached it's home/prison, and once done it acts a bit like underground lakes/rivers do for towercaps. Only instead of towercaps you get random demonspawn sprouting in soggy caves, waterways and soil chambers, that are immobile but attack things if you get into range. Once they mature they start spewing out a terrible black miasma OF DEATH!

*Urist McFarmer cancels plant seed, bones on fire.*

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 25, 2009, 09:28:01 am »

One word springs to mind.

Cthulu.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 148