Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349678 times)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2040 on: April 06, 2009, 07:30:12 am »

I wonder if they'll have amputation as a health-care option.  Maybe for severely mangled limbs that are losing a lot of blood, or to stop migrating fatal poison.

Well, the health care list does have:

# Surgery to remove rotten tissue

So if the rotten tissue is a limb, I imagine the result would be more or less an amputation.

I wonder if that has lead to some rather hilarious combinations, such as amputation of the rotten brain/spinal chord/spleen

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:45 am »

There won't be amputation of a rotten brain or spinal cord because the patient will die if these parts begin to rot. That's, of course, without inexperience and misinformation factored in. So, a surgeon might see the brain turn purple and decide to amputate it, regardless of what caused the effect.

There might be even personality patterns for that, "likes to sever bodyparts", or something to that effect.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 06, 2009, 04:08:15 pm »

Have you the brain worms?

;)
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 06, 2009, 04:48:06 pm »

There might be even personality patterns for that, "likes to sever bodyparts", or something to that effect.

That makes me think of the fetish... or 4chan at least. Dwarfy anon coming in version 0.7!
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 07, 2009, 01:28:38 am »

There won't be amputation of a rotten brain or spinal cord because the patient will die if these parts begin to rot.

The brain can definitely degenerate without the owner of said brain dying; to yank a line off of the Wikipedia article on Necrosis:

"Liquefactive necrosis is usually associated with cellular destruction and pus formation (e.g. pneumonia). This is typical of bacterial or, sometimes, fungal infections because of their ability to stimulate an inflammatory reaction. Curiously, ischemia (restriction of blood supply) in the brain produces liquefactive, rather than coagulative, necrosis, due to the lack of any substantial supportive stroma."

I could definitely see the Dorf Doc deciding that Urist needs the excess fluids drained from his/her skull after getting choked while sparring.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:43 am »

I could definitely see the Dorf Doc deciding that Urist needs the excess fluids drained from his/her skull after getting choked while sparring.

Healthcare would hardly be complete without trepanation (piercing of the skull to relieve swelling, infected blood, or skull fragments after a head injury), though in medieval times it was also prescribed for mental illnesses and seizures. So there's certainly a possibility of medical malpractice. Fun!
« Reply #2046 on: April 08, 2009, 08:00:39 am »

peg legs, hook hands, and eye patches! 
YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! Hotness and love.

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #2047 on: April 08, 2009, 09:07:01 am »

peg legs, hook hands, and eye patches! 
YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! Hotness and love.
What about peg faces?
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:26 pm »

Latest Dev:
periodic attacks and toppled equipment. Up to five varied layers are placed at the intermediate level. It'll need to handle local realizations next.
... toppled equipment?  What does that mean?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 08, 2009, 07:30:33 pm »

I think he's talking about Scamps.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 08, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »

It's official, cats now have [BUILDING_DESTROYER:2].

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:36 am »

It's official, cats now have [BUILDING_DESTROYER:2].

Oh... God...

*Runs screaming*

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2052 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:34 am »

Wow, I just finished reading through the whole thing.

That took a while.

Reminds me of when I read the whole original, only back then it wasn't 50 posts per page.

I wonder if there will be unique creatures defined in the RAWs where only one may exist at a time.
And if so, will there be a gigantic indestructable kitten that destroys stuff?
Eh?
Eh!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 11, 2009, 04:20:35 pm »

I wonder if there will be unique creatures defined in the RAWs where only one may exist at a time

There are many interesting ways to impliment that. Though I havn't heard much.

However in the future there will be a version of this by the way of "Randomised" creatures as well as "Alligned/Spherical" creatures.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 12, 2009, 10:50:34 pm »

I wonder if there will be unique creatures defined in the RAWs where only one may exist at a time

There are many interesting ways to impliment that. Though I havn't heard much.

However in the future there will be a version of this by the way of "Randomised" creatures as well as "Alligned/Spherical" creatures.

Yep. This is one of the features I look forward to the most. This and the lighting arc. The day I can watch dwarves bustling through my main corridor with light spilling onto them in all different colors from numerous gem-windows... It's gonna be sick.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 148