Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348646 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1845 on: January 30, 2009, 04:48:42 pm »

His arch enemy would be the rich, smart, handsome kid with the incredible social life and is loved by all.

There's also Mr. Society, The Parents Duo, and Lord Censorship.

That guy he sometimes teams up with, and sometimes fights is known as Dr. Dub
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1846 on: February 02, 2009, 04:46:20 am »

legend dump chat

Yeah, it'll be a reasonably large file, but the real problem is that because the text is not stored but generated when you look at them, it'll also take forever for it to run through on a decently-populated world (as it often has to pull up and grab critter names from id numbers and so on).  I'm not sure quite how long forever, but I'll consider doing something with it this time around if it won't take too long to set up (can't commit, as it is set up to generate the stories for display not in plain text but in my silly ass text viewer format).

Quote from: Heph
I meant starting an Bushfire, making an little campfire out of logs, burning down an Barn, burn away some worn out clothes as form of garbage disposal and things like this.

Yeah, it's reasonable enough, but we can set it up later.  It would need some accompanying AI as things stand, or your dwarves would burn themselves out in your fire pit.

Quote from: Patarak
As long as most things are getting updated, would there be a possibility of allowing "Special" attacks to be applied in Adventure mode? Webs and stings and the like.

That's more of a combat arc thing since I'd have to set the selections up and so on.

chat about various powers and their servants and things

I think there are power goals here and there that suggest religion in DF isn't always going to be fictitious in every world, and there's also the post v1 entry about it.  As with magic, we didn't particularly want to create stock notions for vanilla DF on these matters, as we'd like it all sorts of ways and there isn't any compelling reason to nail down.  With the sphere-related creatures on some horizon or other (they made dev_next, which means they are a candidate for the release after this one, along with the decisions that are already fixed for that release [improved sieges or invading others + eternal sugg stuff]), we'll probably have the first push in this direction (unless you count the demon part mentioned in the remaining items list) as regions gain more flavor and powerful critters linked to creation myths and that sort of thing.  The powerful mundane creatures in the game (rulers and so on) don't even have a sense of goals or continued play after legends (which is supposed to start up with the army stuff), so I'd expect that before the supernaturals get much to do.

Quote from: Doomduckie
Since embedded weapons now cause bleeding to remove, does that mean we can have barbed arrows, spears, and javelins that cause more bleeding to pull out in some later version?

Yeah.  That one in particular would be pretty straightforward, assuming barbs don't run afoul of the general item improvement system (with all the spikes and stuff) and get messy.  But the pulling-out effects themselves are nicely set aside and can be easily enhanced.

castes in adv mode

Right now the gender changing key cycles castes, yeah.  It says "Become <caste>" where the caste is the next one in the order they appeared in the raws.  Would be annoying for more than say 4 castes, but the vanilla raws won't have anything with more than that, and all the vanilla playable ones have just 2.  I'll take refinement requests after this release is up, but it is as it is for now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 02, 2009, 02:53:27 pm »

legend dump chat

Yeah, it'll be a reasonably large file, but the real problem is that because the text is not stored but generated when you look at them, it'll also take forever for it to run through on a decently-populated world (as it often has to pull up and grab critter names from id numbers and so on).  I'm not sure quite how long forever, but I'll consider doing something with it this time around if it won't take too long to set up (can't commit, as it is set up to generate the stories for display not in plain text but in my silly ass text viewer format).

Ah, I guess that does make it a little bit harder to implement. Still, I'm ok with my computer sitting and churning out a massive file for a few hours if you manage to get the code hooks in to do it.

Thanks as always for the responses!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: February 02, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »

legend dump chat

Ah, I guess that does make it a little bit harder to implement. Still, I'm ok with my computer sitting and churning out a massive file for a few hours if you manage to get the code hooks in to do it.

Thanks as always for the responses!
Ditto

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 02, 2009, 04:40:48 pm »

Somewhat on topic...  has the top block of the forums been abandoned? It still points to .40d when .40d9 is out, and it still lists the January report, when the February one has long been posted.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1850 on: February 02, 2009, 04:50:35 pm »

I forgot to update it (again).  40d9 isn't the one up on the main page, so I haven't put a news item for that, but I can set up another news item for the other one I guess.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 02, 2009, 06:36:16 pm »

I am rather excited about the wound updates... but things like gangrene scare me.
Not that I don't want to play with them eventually, but I'm worried they'd be a barrier to me figuring out the other stuff in the new release, I think.

Will disease be turn-off-able in the init file like invasions and cave-ins?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 02, 2009, 07:14:32 pm »

I am rather excited about the wound updates... but things like gangrene scare me.
Not that I don't want to play with them eventually, but I'm worried they'd be a barrier to me figuring out the other stuff in the new release, I think.

Will disease be turn-off-able in the init file like invasions and cave-ins?

This kinda makes me concerned about Adventure mode. I am afraid at one point it may become completely unplayable in the future.

I mean if the Arrows, Organ damage that doesn't magically heal, blood loss, starvation, metalic men, (Semi)Megabeasts, armies, or dirty water doesn't kill you... Then the Gangrene will kill you.

Then again... I guess that only means that Adventurers are going to become greater and greater until they make your Dwarves look like chumps.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:44:10 pm by Neonivek »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:40 pm »

that and shops will start selling peg legs, hook hands and eye patches.

...also, pennecillin.
[/quote]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:15 pm »

that and shops will start selling peg legs, hook hands and eye patches.

...also, pennecillin.

Heh, replace your Liver with a Lead Spitoon?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 02, 2009, 08:14:04 pm »

Well we have an healthcare ability and herbalism. So i would advice you to hire an Doc for your party or get some own knowledge.

Also its not like that you get the Black death at every second corner. DF isnt an Siera point and click adventure.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:15 pm »

Well we have an healthcare ability and herbalism. So i would advice you to hire an Doc for your party or get some own knowledge.

Also its not like that you get the Black death at every second corner. DF isnt an Siera point and click adventure.

Well true it isn't a Sierra Point and Click or heck... a normal Rogue-like...

But still... there are so many ways to die your practically wallowing through them at a daily basis.

I mean heck... You die... By swimming in Water that freezes over you instantly! If that ISN'T a Seirra death I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:23:10 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: February 02, 2009, 08:25:53 pm »

I eventually want to be able to start as a naked adventurer just outside a human village, slowly build my way up in the community, and then help fend off an elf invasion. Then when an army starts gathering, join up with it, and march through the wilderness to the elven retreat. Then the night before battle the elven hunters find the camp, and begin shooting into the troops. I get hit in the arm with an arrow, but I manage to dodge the rest of them as they massacre the army. I wonder around for days in the wilderness, thankfully avoiding predators, but with the wound slowly being infected. Then die alone, and unknown in a bog imagining Crowmen coming for my body as the fever dreams grip me.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »

I mean heck... You die... By swimming in Water that freezes over you instantly! If that ISN'T a Seirra death I don't know what is.

Pulling a lever and being suddenly immersed in magma?
[/quote]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 02, 2009, 08:45:10 pm »

I eventually want to be able to start as a naked adventurer just outside a human village, slowly build my way up in the community, and then help fend off an elf invasion. Then when an army starts gathering, join up with it, and march through the wilderness to the elven retreat. Then the night before battle the elven hunters find the camp, and begin shooting into the troops. I get hit in the arm with an arrow, but I manage to dodge the rest of them as they massacre the army. I wonder around for days in the wilderness, thankfully avoiding predators, but with the wound slowly being infected. Then die alone, and unknown in a bog imagining Crowmen coming for my body as the fever dreams grip me.

That right there is the epitome of the slogan Losing is fun!

Or an example of how insane your average DF player is. Either way.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 148