Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348587 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1695 on: January 19, 2009, 02:55:01 pm »

Yeah but it is recognisable as something that should go in if your significantly strong then the opponent.

For that matter Id like Wrestling to recognise it if your significantly strong.

If your a normal person you shouldn't get a "Rip off Arm" option

If your Super Strong the "Rip off part" option should appear...

Hmm I should start a suggestion... but I STILL have to do that Insanity suggestion... but it is soo long and involved it is insane.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 19, 2009, 02:57:39 pm »

^^^ Not saying you shouldn't start a suggestion, but it's already in the bloats.

# Bloat254, GRAB-TEARS II, (Future): If the strength+size difference is large enough, a wrestler should be able to rip an enemy apart directly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 19, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »

At least it was a high number

If it was number lets say... 22 Id be embarassed

Still pains me that I havn't done my more in depth insanity suggestion. (I know Insanity is already in the game... this is a more in depth suggestion)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:23:41 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »

I wonder if Toady can implement a Battletech-like combat mechanic? I know he already does layer protection and penetration versus coverage and stuff, so that eventually you might wear down the dragon's "soft underbelly" and go punch his guts directly. But what about the actual hits? BT uses "hit charts" that are basically flat maps of all locations you can hit on a creature from any given direction. DF has a little more than the 3-4 target types in BT, but they can be condensed into something like 5 or 6 by stuffing all similar designs into one and having the game just use the parts the creature does have. We'd also need charts for 6 directions instead of 4, + prone version. After that, it's a matter of taking a specific flat chart and just designating an area on it that resembles the incoming strike. Parts intersecting that area will be prime candidates to be hit.

I know it sounds confusing, but it's rather simple in principle, if not in preparation and execution.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:15 pm »

^^^ Are you talking about, like, directional profiles or something?  That's an interesting idea.  Perhaps to keep the "silhouettes" simple, you could make use of the body tree's hierarchical structure -- i.e., for the silhouette from the left side, you just specify something like:

[PROFILE:LEFT:LUA:400]
[PROFILE:LEFT:LUL:400]
[PROFILE:LEFT:RUA:25]
[PROFILE:LEFT:RUL:25]

Where LUA, RUL are left upper arm, right upper leg, etc. and the numbers are... percentages or something.  I'm not sure how exactly those would mesh with the BP relative sizes.  But anyway, the point is that the hit biases cascade down the body tree so that the fingers connected to the right arm are also more likely to be hit from the right side.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:52:14 pm by Footkerchief »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 19, 2009, 04:04:10 pm »

I always pictured the colossi as something like this:

Except maybe with metal armor, or something.  I dunno.

Needless to say, Shadow of the Colossus is amazing.

Well yeah, same here. This is why I was so pissed about the vanilla megabeasts...1-2 dwarves shouldn't be able to kill a creature like this...but ah well, modding is quite advanced thankfully.  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 19, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »

Well to be truthful the monster in that picture is actually Larger then the Bronze Collosus. (In fact significantly so)

The Bronze collosus is at most 40 feet high.

Alright doing measurements... assuming kid is 5 feet tall and that the Collosus is NOT in the distance... Then the collosus in the picture is

90 feet tall!

More then Double the Bronze collosus' size... and I did everything I could to make the creature in the picture smaller then it should be
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:22:05 pm by Neonivek »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 19, 2009, 05:04:52 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
01/18/2009: 832. Updated about a third of the creatures, including all of the gibbons. I'm not doing anything super accurate with color/patterns for them this time around, as that would take too long.

Huh.  I had actually thought about making a proposal that the community could help out with that.  Nothing about source-code or programming help, just opening up the raws, which would be opened soon enough anyway, to save Toady the trouble of updating all the fish and trees and birds and gibbons to the new structure.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
01/18/2009: 832. Updated about a third of the creatures, including all of the gibbons. I'm not doing anything super accurate with color/patterns for them this time around, as that would take too long.

Huh.  I had actually thought about making a proposal that the community could help out with that.  Nothing about source-code or programming help, just opening up the raws, which would be opened soon enough anyway, to save Toady the trouble of updating all the fish and trees and birds and gibbons to the new structure.

It would certainly be easier

Though I don't know if this falls under his "Don't want outside help" policy. It very may may be.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:05 pm »

Yeah, but then the community would have to reach some sort of consensus about style and values.  Who wants us to be bickering about the shear strength of bird feathers (primaries, not down!  no!  it's the coverts!) and how it should differ from species to species so that THIS one needs a type that's slightly stronger or if we don't agree with it then I'll just make my OWN kind!

I think it would be great and I'd love to help Toady out any way I can, but it would add a lot of irritating problems anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:05 pm »

Yeah, but then the community would have to reach some sort of consensus about style and values.  Who wants us to be bickering about the shear strength of bird feathers (primaries, not down!  no!  it's the coverts!) and how it should differ from species to species so that THIS one needs a type that's slightly stronger or if we don't agree with it then I'll just make my OWN kind!

I think it would be great and I'd love to help Toady out any way I can, but it would add a lot of irritating problems anyway.

I don't see THAT happening...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 19, 2009, 09:02:39 pm »

The way I see it, we would mostly just convert the old stuff to the new stuff. Any problems Toady can just iron out. any large disagreements we'll just say 'Let Toady handle it."

Seeing as he would do it anyway, I would love to help out with the conversion.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:31 pm »

Or he could just release the thing completely creatureless and we could fill it in for fun and profit!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »

The fun is the profit!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 19, 2009, 11:22:45 pm »

SOmewhere back there someone joked about prehensile guts...

..That got me curious:
Q -  can internal parts have a [grasp] option? like, say, a "chestburster", that if you cut the guy open, he suddenly has a bunch of tentacles pop out that each can wrestle you? (until he bleeds out and dies, that is). Cuz that would be beautiful (in a really gross sort of sense).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 148