Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348592 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1575 on: January 14, 2009, 03:29:27 pm »

They get acid blood and and are droped on Goblins. Hehehe. Theyr skin and fat will be Gold.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: January 14, 2009, 03:43:12 pm »

with this, to bastardize Forest Gump, DF-mods will be like a box of chocolate. You never know what you get.

I can't wait to hack my way through adventure mode only to see something that bleeds winning lottery tickits
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: January 14, 2009, 03:45:47 pm »

I just wondered a very specific thought.

Is Toady actually just coding details and then having them pass on, or is he making a DNA substitute for Dwarf Fortress? I know the RAWS apparently don't seem to have anything apparently confusing in them, but the way the game interprets them...
Code: [Select]
DF=DF  ; Dwarf -=- Dwarf  - Species
BR=GD  ; Brown -=- Gold  - Hair
BL=BL  ; Blue -=- Blue  - Eyes
...etc...

It could pose some very... interesting offspring when modded//hacked, like Half Dwarf/Half Magmaman.

Of course any result from having such a complicated system for values would only be way way way further down the line of development
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:39:49 pm by Thndr »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 14, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »

Could be even more interresting then breeds are released into the wild after wars, cultural breakdowns, Abadons of fortresses or just natural by stray creatures.

Outbreeding Dragons in one fort could be very dangerous for the folowing forts.

edit: Elves and magmamen would be a bit strange since i think they see fire as more dangerous then any other race but maybe Half-Elf/Blizard-man or crossbreeds with Animalmen .... if animal-men arent crossbreeds themselfs as disturbing as it sounds.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:54:15 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: January 14, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »

I'm fairly certain we're not able to cross breed different species, yet.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 14, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »

Maybe not yet but DF is an Fantasy world generator and simulator and we know all the Halfelves etc. I dont think toady would leave out this feature. I asume it will come by breeding or magic some day thought it would need an worldgen parameter that would prevent an amalganisation of all races into one.

Proud to be a Furry.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 14, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »

I just realized an implication of creatures that can explode if wounded.
Draco Vulgaris "Swamp Dragons" Small dragons (~2ft long) that can fly, breathe fire, and have a tendency to explode. Especially if they feel threatened, wounded, excited, or come down with a case of hiccups.

Woohoo!  Another Pratchett fan!
A newly found obsession in me. I've read eight of his books in the last month or so. Out of any serious order though, mainly due to availibility at the local public library. Half-way through my ninth read, Men at Arms.

I think genetics currently works mainly by a random selection between the parents' traits with a wild-card mixed in for mutation, at least on qualitative traits (Eye-color, e.g.).

I wonder if varying heights and weights between creatures will lead to the necessity for Toady to invent a dwarven system of weights and measures.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 14, 2009, 04:42:21 pm »

My plan for this release:
1. Create two new materials: spaghetti and meatball
2. Create a megabeast with new materials and [CAN_FLY]
3. ?????
4. Profit!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:58 pm »

Dwarven weight system:

Base unit: 1 mug
10 mugs to a bucket
10 buckets to a barrel
100 barrels to a pond

All measurements assume that the item is full of beer.

Dwarf healer: "Ah, she's a fine little baby. Weighs in about a bucket and a mug. Nice and healthy!"

Dwarf hauler: "By my beard, I must've hauled about a pond's worth of rocks today!"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:53:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:50 pm »

I wonder if varying heights and weights between creatures will lead to the necessity for Toady to invent a dwarven system of weights and measures.

He has.  Just as of now it isn't associated in any way shape or form with the metric or english systems of measure.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 14, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »

Dont we have an weightsystem already? And if not we have already an density in the raws over which we can realise it. As long the weights are standartisized for the player maybe by being set in breakets after the local weight measurment.

Example:"This Oakthrone weights 1 barrel (150 Kilogramms)"

Proud to be a Furry.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 14, 2009, 04:58:07 pm »

My plan for this release:
1. Create two new materials: spaghetti and meatball
2. Create a megabeast with new materials and [CAN_FLY]
3. ?????
4. Profit!

Ramen.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: January 14, 2009, 04:59:51 pm »

We have a weight system, but it is only in the form of a number followed by a symbol. The unit does not have a name. There is no volume measure, aside from the number of drinks in a barrel or bucket and matsize (which is used to determine weight along with density). There is no length measure, aside from the height and width of tiles.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: January 14, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »

I'm fairly certain we're not able to cross breed different species, yet.

Yep, that is correct, but this will be changed in the future thankfully. I just can't wait for the crossbreeding feature, especially because of the modding possibilities of it.  :D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 14, 2009, 07:56:43 pm »

I can see already threads in the "Gamplay questions" forum that go like this: "How do i crossbreed an elve with an dragon?Do i need an wizard for this? Is the "beast to men" spell or the "chimaericon" spell the best for that? And are there sideeffects if i already have blizzardmen in the 2. Ancestor Geneartion with 3. Dominant Genes and Tigermen on the 5 Ancestor Generation with 1 Dominant and 2 rezessiv Genes?"

And pages on the wiki that describe the way to crossbreed incompatible creatures like Magmamen and Waterelementals with stable offspring.

^^ Funny times will come i am sure and Biological warfare gets an new dimension. B and C weapons will be not that uncommon thought they get an very nice fantasytouch.

edit: Toady, i know i am a bit nitpicky about that but please dont forget that some genes for traits can only be found on X or the Y chromosom rendering some at an woman rezessiv genes at an male as dominant. If such an Gene is on the Y Chromosom it only affects male breedinglines. Also there are intermediate and kodominant effects on genes that affect the traits of an individual.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:14:14 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 148