Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348611 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1560 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:39 pm »

As for genetics and breeding:

You already track who are the parents of an creature over this you can calculate the Inbreeding Coefficient of an individual.

Depending on this indicator you can determine Birth and genetical defects.

Give in some random Mutation modificator now and then for a treat and you can incredible powerfull yet even almost new animals by breeding. The Downside would be that you need for an an healthy outmaxed race an very big breedingbase or very clever technics of breeding like rotation breeding. More information on this you find under the names "Genetic bottleneck", "Founder effect", and the artickles related to them. hmmm best you would start at Population Genetics.

You can also take in account failurebreeds by bad decissions. An creature only trimed on strenght would have problems with longtime work, stress on the skelleton, highered aggresivity, more food usage etc.

Eugenetic i think would be on the long run deadly for any DF race as the sittuation is now cause the breeding stock is from beggin with a bit small.

And can you make the worldgen an bit more stable by moving some parts of its Data on the HDD as long they arent needed? I got some crashes on longtime gens (2000 years+) and i think thats cause of the number of creatures and events. I dont know how it is done internal but i asume you hold all creatures and events in the ram at any given time. While its very logical for the lifing many of the dead arent needed i think and also long gone wars wouldnt be needed either. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:58 pm »

Well I hope he doesn't go ENTIRELY realistic with genetics.

Fantastic breeding programs I hope would be more then possible for creatures.

Anyhow once again, thank you Toady for your responses to our concerns, comments, and questions.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #1562 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm quite mindful that when I mentioned people can breed dogs now, of course the enterprising player is going to be doing all sorts of whatever who knows.  The timeframe is probably a bit grueling to get anything like that started with dwarves though, as you'd need something like a 12 year fortress to even get started, but the only restrictions I think I'm planning to put in place (in a future release) are having creatures notice when they are being selected against -- it's sort of a tricky problem, but if the last ten dwarves to die all had red beards, I think the other red-bearded dwarves might start to notice and either flee or take action against their leaders, and that's certainly easy enough to code, though applying it outside of a controlled environment like the player's fortress is more difficult.  I'm vaguely worried about how much untoward player experiments will crap up the forum with flamewars and racism, but I don't think it'll be so much that it can't be handled properly.
Sounds great, I just hope random aquamarine eyebrow rebellions won't pop all over the place.

Maybe animals could start eating only after reaching a certain size? It would be a bit unrealistic though.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 13, 2009, 09:32:10 pm »

Toady, will these new genetics changes mean that the dwarves/elves/etc. will select among the populations without any player interaction? I.e. will a dwarf who likes brown be more likely to marry/friend/etc dwarves with brown hair and eyes, without the need for the player to lock the two in a tower together?
If so, how far would this selection go (just friendships, or anything up to potential wars)?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:57 pm »

I just realized an implication of creatures that can explode if wounded.
Draco Vulgaris "Swamp Dragons" Small dragons (~2ft long) that can fly, breathe fire, and have a tendency to explode. Especially if they feel threatened, wounded, excited, or come down with a case of hiccups.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 14, 2009, 04:54:24 am »

There was a time when I thought that the number of dev items was referring to everything on the "What's Next?" page, and not just the yellow ones.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:28 am »

I just realized an implication of creatures that can explode if wounded.
Draco Vulgaris "Swamp Dragons" Small dragons (~2ft long) that can fly, breathe fire, and have a tendency to explode. Especially if they feel threatened, wounded, excited, or come down with a case of hiccups.

Woohoo!  Another Pratchett fan!

More seriously though, I am curious about how the game tracks 'fear'.  I know small critters like groundhogs, etc. will flee from an adventurer, but just about anything larger will attack you.  Is there an actual mechanism for determining when even a weak creature will attack you?  So, if you're lying down bleeding to death, creatures that normally would avoid you will come out and finish you off?
Fefeshnelmargalip

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:26 am »

Will people reproduce after world-gen this release?

EDIT: 'Course not, that's an unhighlighted dev item. How long would it take to implement once you're up to it?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:43:52 am by Patarak »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:36 am »

Will the poisons include some addictive substance, like tobbaco or, say, a special breed of mushrooms? A kind of black market would go a long way to make the justice system more fun and guards would actually have some work to do  ;D.

Urists McMayor has edicted a mandate! Tobbacco is now illegal!
hehehe

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1569 on: January 14, 2009, 11:59:38 am »

Quote from: Toady One
...so it can track the precise amounts up to a point, at which an item is created. This could also allow snow/mud depth effects later on, although that might be merged with items/flows depending on how it works out. It's not a question for the next version in any case...

Noice! I presume this means that if you let some goblins bleed into one tile, the blood will collect into "blood" blobs that you can pick up to throw at other goblins. What we see here is a unique thing, folks; a thing that is actually becoming more like itself every day.

Who else wants to make kittens have molten gold blood, then drop them down into pits where it will collect into smeltable blobs?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 14, 2009, 02:17:05 pm »

Who else wants to make kittens have molten gold blood, then drop them down into pits where it will collect into smeltable blobs?
And then breed the kittens for greater reservoirs of gold blood.

I wonder if Toady realized the kind of psycos that would play his games when he set about developing them...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:12 pm »

I see we're all on the same page here.

I wonder if Toady realized the kind of psycos that would play his games when he set about developing them...
Considering he made Slaves to Armok, I'm going to say yes.  Remember, all that depraved stuff in the Pits was Toady's doing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:57 pm »

Every good thing got abuse throught History, not creating this good things on the other hand doesnt prevents bad things to happen.

Scientists have used Wow for researching the ways of how deseases spread with the Genetic Setup and all the other things i can immagine that we hear someday of some scientifical Stuff rsearched on the Model "DF".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 14, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »

I see we're all on the same page here.
No, I'm doing platinum blood.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 14, 2009, 03:17:16 pm »

I'm going to have kittens bleed dwarves.

No, not dwarf blood. Dwarves.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 148