Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348594 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: January 13, 2009, 05:30:50 am »

Well its not only crossbreeding, its too unnatural selection by the dwarves. Selection is as important maybe even more important then crossbreeding, atleast at cultivated Plants.

An wild kind of wheat has different form and size then a breeded one cause the Human has sellected the for him best plants to be seeded in the next year.

This way (and with a little bit crossbreeding) wheat has shortened in 300 years by 1 and half meter but at the same times you can get out the trippled amount of flour from an given amount of plants.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:41:10 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 13, 2009, 05:34:42 am »

It'd be cool if it happened that certain traits were rare (after world gen let's say) that different civilizations would find them desirable.
Or other reactions.

Green-eyed red-bearded dwarves make for the best sacrifices in Elven rituals.

Hangatyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 13, 2009, 06:16:13 am »

The Asen never aged to death cause they were immortal like the Albs and Darkalbs iirc. All dead among them was done violently. Mostly by loki and his family.

They could die of old age if they didn't eat the magic apples the godess Idun supplied them with.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: January 13, 2009, 06:31:37 am »

Well the absence of idun itself could have caused the aging of the Asen (look up Thjodolf von Hwin for the entire story) cause she was the goddes of immortality. And it is said that the Asen did age not that one did die on Oldage. She is also almost only present in the kontinental Germanic/Keltic Mythologie and we can asume that she has some Greek roots.

Not to forget the Wanen which were immortal but not unkillable.

Anyway its "DF" and not "The Worlds mythologie 2.0" even thought i tend to see it like this at times.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:36:39 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 13, 2009, 07:57:15 am »

Not to forget the Wanen which were immortal but not unkillable

oddly... when people say immortal people immediately think "unkillable" despite the fact that most immortals are killable... just not by age.

There are generally three types of immortality
1) Cannot die of age: most common
2) Cannot be slain by Mortal Hands (Neigh Invulnerable): common
3) Cannot die period: Rare

The Aesir are possibly one of the most fragile gods that I know of (Well, except for maybe some Native American Gods)... More then capable of being slain by even human hands. Mind you they had super and magical powers, so I wouldn't gamble on it. Interestingly when I think about it... Id personally think that Odin's Horse (I forget its name) should technically be a god itself... or at least related to whatever Loki is.

Anyhow back on topic.

I am glad that Toady also included variables we can set ourselves and all that... since frankly... DNA seemed a lot more interesting before Biology class: "Hello Class, as you can see genetics is a series of 50-50 chances"

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: January 13, 2009, 09:20:38 am »

Sleipnir? Hes the son of Loki and the Horse of Svadilfari. Since Loki is a son of the Giants, the first Family of Gods in northern Mythology, Sleipnir is from Halfgiant nature. Sleipnir would be as powerfull as an Wane or atleast as powerfull as an Ase. He is by inheritans immortal and partwise intelligent.

*There are 3 familys of Gods in northern Mythologie.
- Giants and Monsters the mightiest and most chaotic.
- Wanen the second mightiest to restrain the Giants influence in the world and
- Asen who were born as fighters for the Wanen and third mightiest but not immortal in some Legends.

Loki is an Born Giant but an adopted Ase. The asen more fierce in battle did overthrow iirc the reighn of the Wanen in an war but after that had peace with them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:26:42 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: January 13, 2009, 09:24:35 am »

What I find odd... is all the Aesir who were in fact Vanir... but whome are always shown as mildly shrimpy characters such as Loki and Freiya.

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 13, 2009, 09:32:21 am »

I think there's a typo in the latest devlog entry.  Shouldn't it read:

...but what's there now could be used to, say, breed your dwarves toward certain colors and body dimensions, as well as whatever facial features there end up being (though the colors and patterns would be limited to whatever is in the raws). Of course, the process might involve a lot of culls...

;D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 13, 2009, 09:48:40 am »

Freya is an Vanir (for simplizisity i switch to your naming system) and "Hostage" of the Aesir. Not to mention that Odin/Wotan did made sex with members of all three families.

The Aesdir acted like many Keltic/Germanic Cultures back then which ensured peace by trading hostages. This hostages were often then treated like Familiy members.

Loki and Freiya had surely strong bonds to theyr families and lokis wife was an Giant herself. Not to mention that lokis son Fenrir was restrained by the dwarfs cause of an order of the Aesir. By the way Loki did give birth to Sleipnir in the time in which he was a steed.

I would be very pissed or atleast very crumpy if one part of my family trys to kill the other part of my family.

Freiya as said before has lost family members in the war between Aesir an Vanir and then gets traded with her mother and her brother Frey as tribut for peace. She was surly disappointed at this point.
Freya even as goddes of love had an strong temper and was the wife of odin who did whore around like an stray cat. I think she has some good rights to be shrimpy.

discl: All i tell here is from my memory i cant countercheck every bit right now.

Also many words in germanic languages are rootet in the mythology the german word for woman "Frau" f.E. is based on Freya and iirc also the Friday. Thus would mean that Friday is literally the day of the woman or the day of love.

I hope we see lingual evolution like this and stories between Gods as some kind of mythology some day in DF to come back on topic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:08:29 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:03 am »

Well... SORTA Hostage...

It is a complex form of diplomacy where members of each tribe are sent to eachother so that neither sides fight eachother. This practice can be traced back as far as even Neolithic times.

The same thing technically happens when two kingdoms arrange marriages between royalty (and possibly one of the few good reasons for Royalty to only marry Royalty)

It is TECHNICALLY being a hostage... but... it is often willingly done and the person sent basically just lives their lives. Judging that Freiya basically took half the Valkyrie in Odin's Vision of Ragnerok... she had a lot of power.

It wouldn't be a bad Diplomatic Ploy for Dwarf Fortress either.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:26:03 am by Neonivek »

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: January 13, 2009, 10:36:49 am »

Freyja would be pretty popular with the dwarves, methinks. Especially when they've just created fifty  ☼Gold Amulets☼ , if you get what I mean.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:02 am »

Freyja would be pretty popular with the dwarves, methinks. if you get what I mean.

Freyja/Freiya/Freja can be pretty mean!

Besides if there was anyone who would be popular it would be Buldur whome I wonder if he is alive or not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: January 13, 2009, 10:43:49 am »

Toady, the poison system in DF will be similar to the Armok I. system?
I've found a very old post of yours [Armok I.]:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=122.msg1015#msg1015

That poison system what you've described in that old post is pretty awesome.  :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:47:13 am by Tormy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:54 am »

It would be a long time until it gets to Armok 1 strength :D given that there is some hint that the poisons will affect you on a chemical level by effectively draining or destroying specific nutriance in specific locations in your body.

For example draining Zinc or Iron lowers your energy and regeneration.

Though there is something to be said about removing things your body produces itself: Removing insulin would make the body unable to handle sugars

Though I can see poisons attacking Organ materials dirrectly :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:57:27 am by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: January 13, 2009, 11:15:52 am »

Wow. This is more then I expected from this release. Awesome, truly awesome. I wonder if Toady will take the next step and add in some type of speciation into some later release. Then we could get randomly named variations on creatures that can't breed with one another.

In any case, I'm REALLY looking forward to the next release!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 148