Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348614 times)

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1515 on: January 12, 2009, 12:07:33 pm »

The gods died of old age??  :D

"God is dead" -  Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" - Toady One
"Toady One has arisen as creator of the Universe" - Bay12

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 12, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »

"God is dead" -  Nietzsche
"I am not." - Toady One

;D Thats what really happened.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 12, 2009, 01:55:47 pm »

While gods aging to death is interesting... I think Toady should leave that until he can deal with gods dirrectly giving them family lines, reincarnations, and all that.

It is rare but some gods can age to death such as the Norse gods.

He shouldn't think too far ahead. (Joke)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 12, 2009, 02:07:49 pm »

The Asen never aged to death cause they were immortal like the Albs and Darkalbs iirc. All dead among them was done violently. Mostly by loki and his family.

Anyway its nce to know that they can indeed die.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

I still like the idea of creatures that are objects until the weather turns just right...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 12, 2009, 03:40:55 pm »

"The more relevant applications might be mods involving water creatures that could freeze or boil during regular game conditions. So, not sure if I'll get to that this time around."

Ice creatures, that only show up and attack in the winter in cold areas (or most of the time in freezing areas), or they melt.  Or is it possible for an ice creature to melt into a water creature, and still be alive(or animated or whatever)?  Survive a phase transition? :)

Frosty the snowman, was a very scary soul, with icicle claws and chilling breath and two eyes made out of bituminous coal.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 12, 2009, 07:21:14 pm »

Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:51 pm »

So!  Genetics!

How customizable will this stuff be?  Can we specify that a certain trait is, say, recessive... or linked to another certain trait...or make a trait that skips generations...or that is tied to non-appearance features, like personality, or physical ability?

Every few generations, a dwarf is born with a beard like pure gold--and these dwarves are said to have legendary strength and a fierce temper to match?

I'm guessing these are all "very no" for now, but I have hope for the future!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 12, 2009, 11:30:18 pm »

Every few generations, a dwarf is born with a beard like pure gold--and these dwarves are said to have legendary strength and a fierce temper to match?

That sounds like a caste issue.  I will be sure to mod in 2 extra castes of dwarves.  If I can make sure that only golden bearded dwarves can be king/queen, then I will be extremely happy.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 12, 2009, 11:59:05 pm »

I will be sure to mod in 2 extra castes of dwarves.  If I can make sure that only golden bearded dwarves can be king/queen, then I will be extremely happy.

All this should be doable in the next release.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #1525 on: January 13, 2009, 01:24:48 am »

Here's a question: what would happen if a cast were given both the MALE and FEMALE tags?  Would it randomly assign gender to creatures on an individual basis?  Select one and apply it consistently?  Function as both?  Cause an error, and fail to show up at all?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:04 am »

Seems reasonable it would act as both, but couldn't impregnate itself.  But I wonder if marriages would wind up with one or both partners having kids.  Hmm.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 13, 2009, 03:05:32 am »

Of course, I expect an old bug to crop up again. I remember some quote from Toady when he was testing the pregnancy code, and encountered errors whenever the dwarf selected was made to have a baby thanks to his magic. The dwarf would not seek the infant, care for it or grow any emotional attachments. Toady later discovered that he selected a male dwarf.

So yes, expect weird crap.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 13, 2009, 04:24:22 am »

Toady from the devlog

Right now it'll do dominant-recessive stuff with the color variables, and it can also do that with the appearance variables or do averaging. It's pretty simple at this point, but what's there now could be used to, say, breed your dogs toward certain colors and body dimensions, as well as whatever facial features there end up being (though the colors and patterns would be limited to whatever is in the raws). Of course, the process might involve a lot of culls as there aren't a lot of controls on which animals breed.

By all Ghost this is awesome. Now if you could track the genetical mix in populations and subpopulations during worldgen we could get some diverse animal familys. Not only Caucasian dwarves, Asiatic dwarves, European dwarfs and Africanic dwarves we could get some awesome Animals as well! The natural diversity of cats is big also the differnt kinds of wolves and other canids, Bovinae. Heck we could get Darwins Finches.

Please flesh this system out it would make me and many others very happy i asume. And maybe far in the future it could be extended to plants as well. For example while all other dwarves have still purple plumphelmets one civ could have breeded blue Plumphelmets.

It doesnt add much gameplaywise (at plants) It highers the immersion and the detailing. Its little things like this that makes games like DF so awesome.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:54:51 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 13, 2009, 05:18:34 am »

I am pretty sure fungus doesn't take well to crossbreeding. Though I may be entirely wrong on this point.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 148