Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348645 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1500 on: January 11, 2009, 02:30:46 pm »

Better yet: Export the statues as trade goods and then the caravans get massacred when they reach warmer climates.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 11, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »

Vampires that burst into flames when exposed to non-cave temperature?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: January 11, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »

Or creatures whose outermost layer bursts into flame at room temperature, but everything beyond that is completely fireproof, and the creature feels no pain and can't suffocate. The result would be a walking torch.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 11, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »

Or creatures whose outermost layer bursts into flame at room temperature, but everything beyond that is completely fireproof, and the creature feels no pain and can't suffocate. The result would be a walking torch.
Or a creature with FIRE//MAGMA skin.

:D

Although this just makes me wonder how materials are going to interact with each other if they in a body entity. Having Dwarven Ale Blood with Magma Skin should produce a violent reaction as soon as the creature is made, but could also only produce it once the creature starts bleeding. Walking bombs anyone?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:03:11 pm by Thndr »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 11, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »

Oh yes, creatures with explosive blood are going to be the first thing on my list.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 11, 2009, 07:11:55 pm »

Johnny Storm? I like it!  ;D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 11, 2009, 08:03:08 pm »

Can't you make those already? Plenty of people, including me, already have.

The results are quite disastrous...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 11, 2009, 08:59:24 pm »

"Or creatures whose outermost layer bursts into flame at room temperature, but everything beyond that is completely fireproof, and the creature feels no pain and can't suffocate. The result would be a walking torch."

I guess that could be done by having a outer layer that bursts into flame and having a secondary layer that is highly resistant to the flames. Afterall there are plenty of creatures who have isolated bodyparts that can get to temperatures high enough to scold or even kill them.

Though mind you... it could simply burst into a cool flame... but I hardly know the science of cool flame (and it also I believe, doesn't count as actual fire)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1508 on: January 11, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »

Your skin can melt off now.

8)

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 11, 2009, 09:34:02 pm »

If something is combusting at a sustainable rate, its fire.  Some substances can burn at a temperature that's safe to touch, is all.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 12, 2009, 01:54:13 am »

If something is combusting at a sustainable rate, its fire.  Some substances can burn at a temperature that's safe to touch, is all.

Yes, but the gases emitted would not have the characteristic yellow-orange glow because that's a result of the blackbody radiation of that gas due to having a high temperature.  The fire might still be visible as a pattern of wisps of gas bending light around the burning object.

Similarly, there are things that burn hotter, and as such they have glows that are both brighter and more towards the blue/white, since they're more energetic.

OT, though, I wonder most about surviving phase changes.  I think the idea of zombies freezing in winter only to thaw with the coming spring is awesome.  Clearly it would kill an ordinary creature, like a sloth or something, but undead or magical beings, who knows?

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 12, 2009, 06:35:27 am »

The gods died of old age??  :D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: January 12, 2009, 07:40:56 am »

Damn ok now Gods are creatures so will they produce offspring, given that giving birth gets fixed? Imagine this:

Zeus made Urist MCurist pregnant.
Urist MCurist did give Birth to a boy.
Hercules MCurist strangles the snake.

Nah seriously now Gods, in rare cases, giving birth to some sort of Pantheon, Megabeasts (Echidnas and Lokis children come into mind) Halfgods, Demons, Elementals, Djins, Ghost or whatever would be very interresting atleast in History and storys.

This way there could even be megabeasts after the last were murdered. With the inheritens code they could even inherit spheres from theyr parents.

Could look like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 07:59:39 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: January 12, 2009, 08:23:27 am »

So, these mad creatures of flammable ice and melted skin; will toady be making them for us, or the community have to do it? Or will contests be held to determine which community monsters make it into the official releases?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 12, 2009, 09:55:08 am »

The gods died of old age??  :D

"God is dead" -  Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 148