Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349832 times)

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1335 on: January 02, 2009, 02:25:28 pm »

Fur is also thick and has been known to be hard.

Of course there is a third class of Skin armors... but that only comes from creatures with I guess is better called "Plate Leather" but I have no idea how effective it could be. (Rhinos and some Crocs)

Mostly the kind of leather/hide/fur product you end up with is more to do with the process you use on it, not what kind of animal it came from.

when you skin an animal, you have to treat the hide properly in order for it to be wearable otherwise it will probably just rot.

for leather armour, you would probably boil it to create something like cuir bouilli wheras for leather designed to be more flexible and comfortable, you would just tan it

the difference with fur is just that the hair is not removed from the leather, but it still has to be treated in order to be soft and wearable, otherwise it will dry out and turn hard and brittle

as for rhinos and crocodiles, again it depends how the skin is treated to what you end up with.

(toad: fixed quote)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:51:47 pm by Toady One »
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: January 02, 2009, 07:22:53 pm »

If I try my hand at modding (and this new version is looking pretty tempting), I think I'll make a Giant Sloth.  They had a layer of bony pebbles under their skin that acted as quite effective armor.  Especially in combination with thick skin.

And they ate trees!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:08 am »

I really want giant sloths to be in the vanilla game. There's an ASCII art reward that talks about a kobold tribe leader riding a giant sloth. They'd be rare, of course.

And kobolds should be more in-touch with nature since they're less civilized. Not in an elven way like being peaceful with animals, but in a tribal, primitive way, like knowing how to identify animal tracks and stuff. Knowledge that only civilized hunters would know would be a lot more common in kobold society.

Kobold hunters would be awesome. Imagine a kobold, crawling around on all fours in a wolf pelt, imitating a wolf with incredible skill. He has a knife hidden up the "sleeve" of his wolf pelt. He walks into a wolf pack, acting just like a normal wolf and showing submission to the alpha wolf and all that, waiting for hours until they trust him. They fall asleep in their den or wherever wolves sleep and the kobold hunter slits the throats of every wolf in the pack. He then runs off to get the rest of his tribe and they feast.

I like kobolds.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: January 03, 2009, 01:42:53 am »

Would be interesting if one of their skills is to look like some other race. Imagine a Kobold sneaking into the fortress looking like a Dwarf, only to collapse when pressured to drink some fine dwarven ale.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:33 am »

A Costumes skill would work for that, especially if we ever get dwarven theatre.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: January 03, 2009, 02:12:59 am »

A Costumes skill would work for that, especially if we ever get dwarven theatre.

Ooh, the adventure mode applications of that are most intriguing.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: January 03, 2009, 05:21:37 am »

So apparently soon you'll be able to jump into the eye sockets of Titans and rip out their nerve endings with your bare hands while yelling, "FOR THE MOUNTAINHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMES!"

Not really - but being able to have wounds within wounds is pretty awesome, rather than the old "heart has been pierced 6782346876x times by arrows".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: January 03, 2009, 05:33:33 am »

More like you poke a titan in the eye and 413 pokes later, your finger pops out the back of its skull. (again, not really)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: January 03, 2009, 05:35:14 am »

I can't wait to slice open a guy's back with a sword, then jam my fist into his torso like a mad puppeteer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: January 03, 2009, 07:47:01 am »

Theatre? That would be a bit too much imo, this isn't Dwarf "The Sims" Fortress you know.  :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: January 03, 2009, 07:53:49 am »

Theatre? That would be a bit too much imo, this isn't Dwarf "The Sims" Fortress you know.  :D

Masked murderers.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: January 03, 2009, 08:34:04 am »

I don't know, the thought of dwarves doing reenactions of historic events for entertainment, and accidentally killing the protagonist is highly amusing. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: January 03, 2009, 08:39:16 am »

I don't know, the thought of dwarves doing reenactions of historic events for entertainment, and accidentally killing the protagonist is highly amusing. :)

There's a brilliant level in Hitman: Blood Money where you have to assassinate an opera tenor who's rehearsing the execution scene of Tosca.  Costumes and disguises in general are more Hitman than The Sims.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:29 pm »

All it takes is a construction worker's outfit, a working German pistol and a half brick of plastic explosives. No one saw it coming or going. Even got to retrieve my suit and walked out in clean and proper style.

Seriously, I need to go back and play that game.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: January 04, 2009, 12:25:46 am »

Hey guys... when the next version comes out (as in when the count reaches 0)... Lets have another Future of the Fortress

Do you think this room will last that long? this is rather bloated
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 148