Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349089 times)

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #990 on: December 14, 2008, 04:05:55 pm »

I have a feeling colossi will be that monster real soon.

Solid metal body PLUS refined wound system. 

Ouch...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 14, 2008, 04:09:44 pm »

If arrows of SPECIFIC material become viable...  Magical 10000-degree arrows, anyone? <Twang!>+<thunk!>+<pshhhhh...>=Puddle of molten bronze.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 14, 2008, 04:13:23 pm »

^^^ Specific materials seem to inherit a "default" temperature from their generic material.  I doubt there'll be a way to give materials a fixed temperature.

I'm wondering how all-out Toady will go with the wound system.  Apparently body part positions were done with realistic wound trajectories (for piercing, or planes for slashing) in mind, but where will those trajectories come from?  With projectiles, I guess they already have their own trajectory, but slashes and bashes are more ambiguous (we're coming up with some promising ideas in the Combat thread, but it's all a long way off at best).  Also curious if the new "blocking" system will just re-use BLOCK_PERC at the tissue level or if it'll do something more sophisticated with material properties like hardness and compressive strength.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:17:17 pm by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 14, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »

I suppose it renders all but the content and flavor parts of my Martial Arts mod useless. Which is a good thing. Mmm, ribs...

Heh heh. As for swings and such, I suppose it will do what I wanted to do with a fight simulator once - it takes a random vector perpendicular to the bodypart and looks at what organs might have been hit according to their sizes and positions. I don't suppose we'll get any attacks that can hit several "large" bodyparts at once this version, but still it will be a good addition.

edit: ^^^ So, do you suppose the Fire-steel from my Infusion mod literally burns through your pockets for no reason? :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 14, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »

If arrows of SPECIFIC material become viable...  Magical 10000-degree arrows, anyone? <Twang!>+<thunk!>+<pshhhhh...>=Puddle of molten bronze.

Magical 1000-degree arrow? That sounds like the flame arrow spell!  ;D We gonna have magic sooner than we thought!  :D

*edit*

Hm now that I think about it...it should be possible to create objects with a fixed/specific temperatures. That would be pretty awesome. Flaming arrows, flaming catapult boulders etc.  8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:34:51 pm by Tormy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 14, 2008, 04:49:18 pm »

Shall I write the ways in which having a flaming arrow seems unreasonable on characters with flamable bodies, objects, and souls?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 14, 2008, 04:55:29 pm »

Ok then, for those you can have frost bolts. With temperatures of up to (or down to?) -10000 degrees Fahrenheit. You know, sometimes I think it is good DF doesn't model air. One shot of such an arrow would leave a trail of solid air. Nice way of building walls, btw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:37 pm »

Ok then, for those you can have frost bolts. With temperatures of up to (or down to?) -10000 degrees Fahrenheit. You know, sometimes I think it is good DF doesn't model air. One shot of such an arrow would leave a trail of solid air. Nice way of building walls, btw.

I don't think Toady has implimented Air materials yet as cool and interesting as that would be (and lag inducing to some extents)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 14, 2008, 05:04:31 pm »

It's unfortunate that the wound test arena likely won't remain in the game once Toady is done using it to make sure everything is kosher. It sounds like a fun thing to play around with...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 14, 2008, 05:54:38 pm »

It does sound cool, maybe it'll stay in.  It'd be great for modders.  Unless there's some super-secret way to test monsters that I don't know about, you have to go out and find one to see how it fights, or make it playable.
Shoes...

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 14, 2008, 06:07:33 pm »

Maybe he'll release a 'battle arena' mini game after his end-of-month break.  Hopefully with some open source for some really extensive bug testing from the player base.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 14, 2008, 06:08:33 pm »

I know you don't often do screenshots or movies, Toady, but it'd be neat to see how the wound testing goes if it hangs together in a viewable way, especially since it'll be a while yet before we see it in action.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1002 on: December 14, 2008, 06:21:20 pm »

I for one would like the Arena of Armok to become an official part of the game. You could select a creature from legends or something from the raws and control it in combat against a selected enemy group. You could even create two opposing AI groups or watch a battle from history.
Or, have an arena mode with Fortress Mode controls.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 14, 2008, 06:44:06 pm »

I for one would like the Arena of Armok to become an official part of the game. You could select a creature from legends or something from the raws and control it in combat against a selected enemy group. You could even create two opposing AI groups or watch a battle from history.

If this actually was an arena... hmmm

Winner of these arenas could get the ability to become part of the real world with tons of gold and land!

Losers of course stay dead!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 15, 2008, 12:43:41 am »

If this actually was an arena... hmmm

Winner of these arenas could get the ability to become part of the real world with tons of gold and land!

Losers of course stay dead!
I was just, you know, hoping for something to make sure the creatures I make can actually stand up. (When religion first came into being in DF, a couple of my custom powers couldn't... Testing was fairly problematic)

Though this sounds interesting as well. Would take a bit longer to code though... At least, I think it would. Especially given the responses to other post-world gen modifications.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 148