Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349113 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #975 on: December 13, 2008, 09:11:39 pm »

Wow, amazing picture.

To my knowledge, Toady One claims he is in a town near Seattle Washington.
I doubt this.
I suspect that he travels the globe in some kind of airship, seeking the wisdom of expert programmers the world over. This is the only thing that could explain the astounding quality and stability of the DF code.

I believe that this so-called "ice storm" is merely a cover for an attack by some kind of air-pirates.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2008, 07:25:32 am »

If you don't mind me asking, Toady, where in NH did you live? I'm from the Conway area.

Holy crap, Toady's in NH? That's both cool and terrible - cool, because I live in NH, and terrible, because that ice storm was fairly devastating to southern NH.  I myself am without power and won't be getting it back until mid-week or later.

On the plus side, I did get awesome photos like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope Toady's safe, warm and has electricity...

Whoa what the hell?  No power for 3-4 days? How the hell is that possible?  :o
The photo is pretty awesome btw.  8)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2008, 10:58:49 am »

Rural areas in the US don't always get prompt utilities service. It's one of the drawbacks of being such a large country. Although New Hampshire is a pretty small state, so I'm kind of surprised that it'd take that long.

As for today's dev notes, I'm really looking forward to the next few days. Stories of how well the new wound system works in combat, plus a glimpse of the new raws! Should be awesome!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:46 am »

I seem to remember something about boats in the Bloats. This would be cool if you could get flying boats + the army arc...
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2008, 11:18:36 am »

Boats would be awesome, but they aren't happening this release. 

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2008, 11:31:18 am »

After hurricane Ike, so many people (in the millions) were without power that I didn't get it back for 12 days.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 14, 2008, 11:37:48 am »

That's nothing.  After Hurricane Ike passed through the south, what was left of it went through Ohio, where I live.  There wasn't any rain or anything, it was basically just wind, going upwards of 50 or 60 miles per hour.  The power was out for almost a week.  I almost lost my mind.

Another fun thing that happened in Ohio:

Well, I can't find a picture.  Suffice it to say, a few years ago we had that kind of snow where there's a thick crust over dusty snow, and the wind blew so hard it took big strips of snow and rolled them up like bolts of carpet.  Weirdest thing ever.  Some of them were three feet tall.

Found a picture:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, on topic.

some cleaning of the poisoning code and the addition of materials to the injection special attack, so the material for venoms can now be specified properly (which is required for any future poison effects)

Will the venom injection be simulated(As in, it will just check the venom type and apply whatever affect it's been given) or will the venom actually enter the victim's body?  If I set the temperature of the venom to 10,000 degrees, will the bitten person catch on fire?

Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 14, 2008, 12:34:10 pm »

As for today's dev notes, I'm really looking forward to the next few days.

Yeah same here.  8)
..and also the number is 1030! Yesterday it was 1039. It looks like that Toady is working on the easier parts now. :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 14, 2008, 12:37:03 pm »

Yep and soon Toady will have Tests that he will tell us... probably of someone punching a dwarf and having their entire body explode

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 14, 2008, 12:39:59 pm »

I should be able to release the tentative raw format at some point while I'm doing this.

Modders Rejoice!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 14, 2008, 12:48:55 pm »

Oh, goody!  Here comes the wounds!  I'm looking forward to seeing what Toady says when he gets the 'wound test arena' up and running.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 14, 2008, 02:40:19 pm »

Oh, goody!  Here comes the wounds!  I'm looking forward to seeing what Toady says when he gets the 'wound test arena' up and running.

Let me think of what could be swaid

Toady: "I think I made carp too hardcore, again!"

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 14, 2008, 02:42:50 pm »

Aw crap, carp will most likely end up as weaklings in the upcoming version. Toady, please keep the rivers deadly.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 14, 2008, 03:18:23 pm »

Aw crap, carp will most likely end up as weaklings in the upcoming version. Toady, please keep the rivers deadly.

Carp could do no damage that they would still remain just as deadly... Their power comes from poor AI a bit more then their deadly attack which is only 2.5 times more powerful then an unarmed unskilled dwarf.

The Issue is that Dwarves love to try to tackle carp and end up defenseless in the river!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:18:51 pm by Neonivek »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 14, 2008, 03:28:35 pm »

Nice! We'll get some of the RAW formats early so we don't have to wait for release to start modding. w00t.

Also, I'm starting to think that Toady deliberately makes one animal hardcore every release, just to keep us on our toes. With fixed elephants it's pretty obviously we COULD easily go into the raws and fix creatures so that they're standard with a quick patch, but then the game would be boring without ninja elephants or killer carp.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 148