Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349188 times)

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #900 on: December 10, 2008, 07:39:03 pm »

The Butchery doesn't damage animals to death it just kills them.

I hope that changes.  It would be amusing to see incompetent butchers frantically hacking at random spots on an animal while it freaks out and sprays blood everywhere.  Of course, that means competent butchers need to be able to strike a good killing blow, which means they have to aim their strikes, which isn't possible yet.

Should do something like quality modification for butchery skill, ie. better skill, more chance for leather, and 'full' stacks of meat and bones ( because inexperienced butchers might botch something up ) and if they botchs up, the return is more chunks and damaged stuffs

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 10, 2008, 09:31:23 pm »

This.  The skill in Butchery comes from extracting the best cuts (I guess that would be meat quality modifiers) and getting as much usable meat (even if it's only stew meat) from an animal as possible.  The actual killing isn't really something you want to see a butcher stuff up. 

Meat quality modifiers are an interesting question for another day, because there are only so many prime cuts on an animal, you really shouldn't be able to make every bit of meat off a cow into prime, succulent sirloin steaks.  But that's a question for another arc.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 10, 2008, 09:33:54 pm »

You must never have seen a legendary bucher work.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 11, 2008, 12:25:22 am »

-Legendary +5 butcher: Hold yer horses, I ain't done yet.
-Food hauler: There's nothing left though...just eyes, hooves, and the tail.   There's no more meat left.
-Butcher:Just buzz off, I can't work with you looking over my shoulder like that.
-Hauler: Fine fine. *turns around to walk away* I'll be admiring that tastefully arranged Aluminum statue in the dining room, gimme a holler when yer done.
*hauler walks two steps*
-Butcher: Done.
*hauler turns around to see 20 massive steaks stacked in a pile.*
-Hauler: How-
-Butcher: Talent. Now, hurry up and take them to the stockpile, they're masterwork.  I will blame you if they decay.*Walks away eating a hamburger*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:27:24 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 11, 2008, 12:36:29 am »

The actual killing isn't really something you want to see a butcher stuff up. 

Oh but I do!  It'll impress the true horror of the situation upon the player when s/he recruits Geshud the Peasant to commit kitty genocide.  Geshud, clumsy and a gormless coward to boot, flinches as he brings down the axe and only manages to lop off a paw, and then faints in horror as the cat stumbles yowling into the dining room, bleeds all over the engravings, and adopts an owner 10 seconds before it dies of blood loss.

But yes yes, mangled meat and torn hides or whatever are important too.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 11, 2008, 10:31:37 am »

I think even total beginners should be able to butcher animals with reasonable reliability - they'd grab a knife and cut the the throat of whatever animal is targetted. Sure, the animal might squirm and they'd end up not quite killing it, and it'd run around bleeding and screaming, and depending on the psychological makeup of the dwarf they might freak or feel horribly guilty (especially if they like the animal type in question) and fail to sort it out - but most times the actual killing should probably go well. :) But the odds of much (perhaps all) of the meat or skin being spoiled due to improper handling should be much higher. Extracting bones should probably be easier.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:04 am »

Yeah, I'm super psyched about non-flesh animals.  Maybe I'll try my hand at modding.  Robot world!  Terminator!  Probably could mod in the Aliens from the movies, too - acid blood, super strong carapace, etc.  It will be sweet.

Vanilla game sounds like it will be improved, too - Bronze Collossi will be intense if you can find them.  Nothing to be trifled with.

Also I'm really looking forward to the new stats, and the whole 'if you don't use it you lose it' with stats/skills and such.

You could have a fungusman who drops rare seeds when he dies,  or more realistic treants. Fill in those terrifying biomes with maddening creatures like monsters made from blood(ONLY blood).

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 11, 2008, 11:39:18 am »

Make sure you don't take on a pitchblendeman with a hammer......

I wonder whether dragons will have a fire-breathing organ of some kind, and if so, what skeletal dragons are going to do?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 11, 2008, 11:43:31 am »

Make sure you don't take on a pitchblendeman with a hammer......

I wonder whether dragons will have a fire-breathing organ of some kind, and if so, what skeletal dragons are going to do?

Obviously, they'll be 'breathing confetti
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 11, 2008, 12:07:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm super psyched about non-flesh animals.  Maybe I'll try my hand at modding.  Robot world!  Terminator!  Probably could mod in the Aliens from the movies, too - acid blood, super strong carapace, etc.  It will be sweet.

Vanilla game sounds like it will be improved, too - Bronze Collossi will be intense if you can find them.  Nothing to be trifled with.

Also I'm really looking forward to the new stats, and the whole 'if you don't use it you lose it' with stats/skills and such.

You could have a fungusman who drops rare seeds when he dies,  or more realistic treants. Fill in those terrifying biomes with maddening creatures like monsters made from blood(ONLY blood).

A blood-only creature would probably just melt to death, unfortunately.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 11, 2008, 12:42:30 pm »

Loving these updates so far. First thing I'm making is a full-lifecycle Purring Hornet that injects 25000-heat magma-poison into people, making them instantly explode. Mwahaha.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 11, 2008, 12:48:51 pm »

How about creatures that inject blood into their victims? I mean like reverse vampires. Would that attack make you bleed? Would it make you bleed if you don't normally have blood?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:04 pm »

Loving these updates so far. First thing I'm making is a full-lifecycle Purring Hornet that injects 25000-heat magma-poison into people, making them instantly explode. Mwahaha.

Full life cycle? Polymorphism isn't going to extend that far this time around. I believe Toady has said (and I've repeated a couple times) that body parts on the same creature won't be able to change that drastically during the life cycle.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #913 on: December 11, 2008, 01:37:47 pm »

How about creatures that inject blood into their victims? I mean like reverse vampires. Would that attack make you bleed? Would it make you bleed if you don't normally have blood?
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! IT'S THE REVERSE VAMPIRES! They'll inject blood into you until you explode!
Get inside until it's safe at night!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 11, 2008, 06:29:17 pm »

Diseases?  Will a diseased animal injecting you give you an illness?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 148