Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349262 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #885 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:50 am »

Do you know HOW MANY parameters do current materials have??? Temperatures for the three state transitions, weight, value, damage/block modifiers, plus special parameters.

Easy there, now. Weight value and damage modifiers are pretty obvious ones, yeah, so all you've really mentioned that I had forgotten are the temperature values.

But let's think about this. What new types of parameters would the new material system imply? It's quite clear from the developement log that by dividing everything up into materials, they will become a whole lot more individual in their behaviour, and I'd like to know what parameter values would allow that to happen without incorperating certain values that (at this point in the game) would be largely irrelevant.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 10, 2008, 06:37:24 am »

I don't think any new parameters are going to be added to materials, at least those pertaining to their physical properties would remain the same. There's no "new material system", there's mostly just "new materials" and probably "new material syntax". Toady mentioned new matglosses, and ways to determine groups of materials so that items can be made of specific ones. I don't think it will be possible to get any new functionality out of materials, but you will be able to get new functionality out of items because of the new material-related tags.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 10, 2008, 07:13:47 am »

Man, I cannot wait for the new version.  Just think, we'll get to actually see how the new raws and body functions work, instead of launching intermittent flamewars over theoretical Schrodinger's Implementations.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 10, 2008, 08:39:34 am »

Man, I cannot wait for the new version.  Just think, we'll get to actually see how the new raws and body functions work, instead of launching intermittent flamewars over theoretical Schrodinger's Implementations.

I agree, it's pointless to theorize about these upcoming features. Either wait for a proper answer from Toady, or wait for the next release.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 10, 2008, 11:03:09 am »

I dunno, I'd think there'd be 'thick bone' bone, 'thin bone' bone, and dwarf bone would be thick bone bone, and would inherit properties from that.  When it gets processed, it'll be CALLED dwarf bone, but really of the thick bone material.

You don't need to define a bone for every creature....  Just some creatures have bone bones, some have steel bones (terminators) and some have chitin instead...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 10, 2008, 12:50:21 pm »

I don't think any new parameters are going to be added to materials, at least those pertaining to their physical properties would remain the same. There's no "new material system", there's mostly just "new materials" and probably "new material syntax". Toady mentioned new matglosses, and ways to determine groups of materials so that items can be made of specific ones. I don't think it will be possible to get any new functionality out of materials, but you will be able to get new functionality out of items because of the new material-related tags.

Do you think I'm making it up or something?

Quote from: Sir Nils Olav
Will we be able to determine certain body layers' hardness?

For this release, yeah, you will be able to specify material properties that have combat ramifications for each tissue layer/material of the body parts.  I don't think I posted the new material definitions...  many of the hardness-type properties don't have use yet and won't for a while, but I did go kind of nuts with it, because I wanted it to last a while.  It's a somewhat troubling list.  In particular:

Quote from: Footkerchief
(catchall for tensile, shear, compressive, etc.)

C..  catchall?  I probably should have.  I was bad again.

Going back to the order of material creation vs. body definition, there's this:

Quote from: Footkerchief
I wonder if "send in a chitin tissue to fill the skin role in the exoskeleton plan" means that you actually create the chitin in the creature material list and then send that material.  I suppose for things like iron men you would also have to be able to pass materials from outside the creature definition, i.e. iron.

Yeah.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 10, 2008, 12:52:35 pm »

Goodness I just want to see how epic Megabeasts (especially modded ones) will become!

Heck even without the new bodyraws the new stats can lead to some dangerous combinations!

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 10, 2008, 01:11:45 pm »

Good point!  All we have to do is wait six months and all this discussion will have been pointless!  If you think about it, we can wait a few years and know exactly how DF will come out and then, there will have been no point to have wasted any energy posting on the forums at all!  Lol.

The point of this thread is that we're excited about the new release and want to talk about what's coming up.  I certainly haven't seen anything here that I would qualify as flame war material, though, ironically, I think your comment is probably the closest thing.  I still don't think it qualifies by my standard.

Discussing what is coming up is the point of the thread, if you don't want to participate in the discussion, feel free not to.  After all, as I understand, this is the General Discussion section where we're allowed to "discuss Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress in any way [we] like," right?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:25:06 pm by The Minister »
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 10, 2008, 01:15:32 pm »

Not to mention discussing these things is better than the -, yuri and other such threads.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 10, 2008, 03:39:20 pm »

Goodness I just want to see how epic Megabeasts (especially modded ones) will become!

Heck even without the new bodyraws the new stats can lead to some dangerous combinations!

Yep, we will be able to mod  in powerful and interesting megabeasts. Finally no more "noob speardwarf is killing the dragon with some lucky hits" moments.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:56:46 am by Tormy »

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 10, 2008, 04:45:34 pm »

If you have a creature made of metal, can butchering kill it even when it would be extremely tough in actual combat?  You could mod in metal animals and then breed them and melt down their corpses.  I'd mod in metal animals anyways, if only for the easy puns.  Lead slugs, brass monkeys, golden hinds, steel horses...
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 10, 2008, 05:28:26 pm »

Slaughtering animals is a fairly controlled process; if an animal is tamed, and you have control over it, and it can die, then you should be able to kill it without too much trouble.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm super psyched about non-flesh animals.  Maybe I'll try my hand at modding.  Robot world!  Terminator!  Probably could mod in the Aliens from the movies, too - acid blood, super strong carapace, etc.  It will be sweet.

Vanilla game sounds like it will be improved, too - Bronze Collossi will be intense if you can find them.  Nothing to be trifled with.

Also I'm really looking forward to the new stats, and the whole 'if you don't use it you lose it' with stats/skills and such.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 10, 2008, 07:26:51 pm »

The Butchery doesn't damage animals to death it just kills them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 10, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »

The Butchery doesn't damage animals to death it just kills them.

I hope that changes.  It would be amusing to see incompetent butchers frantically hacking at random spots on an animal while it freaks out and sprays blood everywhere.  Of course, that means competent butchers need to be able to strike a good killing blow, which means they have to aim their strikes, which isn't possible yet.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 148