Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349449 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #735 on: December 04, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

Doesn't sound like it, no.  Toady said that there's only one period of growth, so they could not seasonally alternate between long hair and short.

Yeah. However now that Granite has mentioned it....it might be cool to have something like that...yes I know that it's trivial, but still....diversity is the key word here!  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:08:46 pm by Tormy »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 04, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »

Speaking of the next version:

BUG 000638 □ [dwarf mode][environment] large ocean creatures unable to enter the play area

I know the next version is going to apparently have more robust rules for creatures entering the fortress map (such as through chasms), so will this bug end up being fixed in the near future as well?

I'm curious, because I'd like to have an oceanside fortress at some point, but never getting any ocean wildlife on it is kind of boring.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 04, 2008, 04:47:03 pm »

Yeah but really how much Ocean life do you have to deal with?

Though I admit it would be interesting to see Sea monsters (who can breathe on land) come from the ocean and attack your dwarves :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 04, 2008, 06:02:02 pm »

Odd I modded in giant saltwater crabs and they show up periodically in oceans just fine. 

It may be because they are amphibious though.  And pretty much all it did was cause all hunting to cease because they just hung out at the bottom of the ocean while my hunters stood on the beach gazing longingly at them unable to shoot them for some reason.  Probably because they couldn't path to the bottom of the sea.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:44 pm »

Yeah but really how much Ocean life do you have to deal with?

Though I admit it would be interesting to see Sea monsters (who can breathe on land) come from the ocean and attack your dwarves :D

I've embarked on a terrifying ocean with NO actual sea life there aside from vermin. I'd like for at least one zombie whale to show up!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 04, 2008, 07:51:31 pm »

will this update also allow for methamorhposis, like a gigantic supper-magot becoming a gigantic-supper cocon, and then a super fly ?

I guess so... :D

From earlier Toady posts and the dev log, I think you can do that, so long as you don't mind having your gigantic-super cocoon and maggot have all the same parts as your Super Fly.

I hardly think that was implied.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 04, 2008, 08:06:38 pm »

will this update also allow for methamorhposis, like a gigantic supper-magot becoming a gigantic-supper cocon, and then a super fly ?

I guess so... :D

From earlier Toady posts and the dev log, I think you can do that, so long as you don't mind having your gigantic-super cocoon and maggot have all the same parts as your Super Fly.

I hardly think that was implied.

No, I'm pretty sure he's specifically said that. 
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 04, 2008, 08:18:15 pm »

Mosul Kanotum cancels grooming: Mid-life crisis

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 04, 2008, 08:19:04 pm »

From earlier in the thread:

Quote from: i are not good with compu
I'm hoping we'll be able to define phases of development (i.e. [Child] of creature has its own tokens, and at [Age] it becomes [Adolescent] and its tokens change).

Not yet -- I didn't want to deal with wound/inventory transfers yet for completely different bodies, but I'm hoping to get there in some future release.

So a total metamorphosis isn't going to happen, although maybe you could still have an immobile phase?  I don't think he's said what CAN vary between castes aside from their tile, size, and some degree of body variation.

Maybe you have to specially mark "caste hardpoints" in the body definition and then the castes can swap new body parts onto those points, which honestly DOES seem like enough for total metamorphosis even if you can't totally switch bodies.

Or maybe castes can vary arbitrarily but an individual creature can never change castes.  I can't tell.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:29:20 pm by Footkerchief »

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 04, 2008, 08:19:28 pm »

On the floor is an exceptionally designed image of a dwarf and beard.  The dwarf is weeping.  The beard is graying.  The artwork refers to the graying of Mosul Kanotum's beard in 301.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:20 pm »

I've embarked on a terrifying ocean with NO actual sea life there aside from vermin. I'd like for at least one zombie whale to show up!

I entirely agree, but this is hardly a problem isolated in the ocean.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 04, 2008, 09:18:24 pm »

Just re-read the devlog, and I'm unclear on what this means-

Quote from: Today One
Appearance modifier change rates are also done, so unit hair/nails can grow, or you could have your borgle's borgle grow thicker from age 10 years to age 15 years (it still can't be borgly to any degree).

I get the generalness of the foo-words, but what does "it still can't be borgly" mean?  Adjectives can't change?  Or some modifier other than size?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #747 on: December 04, 2008, 09:35:49 pm »

The point is that you can't mod in your own adjectives; you can only use the hardcoded ones.
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 04, 2008, 10:15:19 pm »

Borgly had BETTER be a hardcoded adjective >:(

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 05, 2008, 01:54:32 am »

Borgly had BETTER be a hardcoded adjective >:(

I second that.

For great justice and Borgle!
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 148