Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349405 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #705 on: December 03, 2008, 09:55:06 pm »

I wonder how many different castes will be permitted for a single race...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #706 on: December 03, 2008, 10:00:42 pm »

As many as you want, within reason.  They are allocated as it loads them in from the raws.  You'll probably experience weird slowdowns or memory problems if you add thousands of them, but I don't think you'll blow out any variables until you get around 32000, unless the raw loader can't handle files that are long.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 03, 2008, 10:06:46 pm »

So as I understand it we could make Hobbits, with hair growing from their feet?

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 03, 2008, 10:38:41 pm »

Um, with polymorphism and castes, you'd be able to make your hobbits into distinct subraces which all have slightly different proportions but are still capable of interbreeding due to being of the same species, I think.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 03, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »

Neat this way i can finaly make an querx, that is an Subrace of dwarf from german folklore. they are an bit smaller then dwarfes and have blue skin - they arent related to the smurfs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 04, 2008, 02:10:54 am »

Also, the devlog suggests that different states of the same creature type will now use different symbols.  I sense confusion coming.

This was mainly for the Antman...  Queen type stuff, where I might use a capital A or something.

Are the antmen going to be a major focus of the underground revisions?  Like crazy twisting burrows and stuff?

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 04, 2008, 05:17:24 am »

I wonder how inter-caste breeding will work.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 04, 2008, 05:53:23 am »

I wonder how inter-caste breeding will work.

0_o *Twitch*

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #713 on: December 04, 2008, 06:29:08 am »

Also, the devlog suggests that different states of the same creature type will now use different symbols.  I sense confusion coming.

Worse than when you didn't know whether the incoming gray 'E' was an elf or an elephant?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 04, 2008, 07:02:06 am »

This was mainly for the Antman...  Queen type stuff, where I might use a capital A or something.

I sense a new type of HFS right there
no use denying it
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 04, 2008, 07:02:26 am »

Elfephant. Giant stomping cannibalous machine of death.

But yeah, it might create confusion. All the more incentive to expand the tilesets.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 04, 2008, 10:27:13 am »

As many as you want, within reason.  They are allocated as it loads them in from the raws.  You'll probably experience weird slowdowns or memory problems if you add thousands of them, but I don't think you'll blow out any variables until you get around 32000, unless the raw loader can't handle files that are long.

Whoa this is pretty awesome. Next version: modders paradise indeed.  :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:39 am »

I suddenly smell a trope mod... like, Our Elves Are Different...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:39 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Color variations and changes over time are done (for any tissue layer, from skin or muscle to the stomach to eyebrows or claws), and I've defined a new colored pattern definition for things like stripes and mottled patterns that can have more than one color at a time. So you could have your borgle's borgle fade from either their starting blue or starting red into a purple and green striped pattern gradually as they age, or something. Appearance modifier change rates are also done, so unit hair/nails can grow, or you could have your borgle's borgle grow thicker from age 10 years to age 15 years (it still can't be borgly to any degree). It only supports one start/end time at this point for growth rates, but today's changes are enough to go from having no facial hair for a human male at birth to having a beard start to grow after some years to having the beard gray slowly after a certain age is reached (with the color change being defined as a change at the root of more and more hairs rather than a fading of the color all around, as you might want for some other color changes). The length/color changes will matter for the descriptive paragraphs (which are up roughly after wounds in the countdown), and there can be all sorts of applications later on, from cultural entity rules to wrestling effects.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:28 am »

Damn.

How are we supposed to mod in proper borgles? We must be able to show how borgly they are!

But all kidding aside, wow that is amazing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 148