Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349302 times)

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #645 on: November 25, 2008, 09:57:23 am »

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_HEART_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

For all your berserker tribe needs, the hearts of your enemies!

Hmm.  With edible organs, would an adventurer with blood drain gain nutrition from a successful bite attack?  How does blood drain work for the drainer in the current version, anyway?

Edit: Also, if blood was edible (I think it actually is now, not sure.  Either it or vomit is.  One's potable, one's edible, probably.  Ick.), and an entity was defined as okay drinking it, that entity's forts could survive at blood rivers.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:01:24 am by Dareon Clearwater »
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:32 am »

Edit: Also, if blood was edible (I think it actually is now, not sure.  Either it or vomit is.  One's potable, one's edible, probably.  Ick.), and an entity was defined as okay drinking it, that entity's forts could survive at blood rivers.

You can drink blood / eat vomit, but only if dehydrated/starving.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2008, 11:22:42 am »

Blood can be edible.  I've eaten it before (both duck and pig blood) - it was in partially coagulated cubes, kind of like jello.  It's actually really good, but I'm guessing it needs preparation.

There's also blood sausage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2008, 11:24:52 am »

Blood can be edible.  I've eaten it before (both duck and pig blood) - it was in partially coagulated cubes, kind of like jello.  It's actually really good, but I'm guessing it needs preparation.

Eeewwww.. :o

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 25, 2008, 11:25:12 am »

Don't forget a really nice rice covering is chicken blood + other spices.

But be warned: Blood often gives food a taste that can only be called iron-tasting. And by often I mean every time.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 25, 2008, 11:26:36 am »

Not that you should be able to drink blood and have it relieve thirst.  The saltiness of blood makes you even more thirsty afterward.  One might say that plasma is like 9/10 water or something, and blood is a little more than half plasma, meaning you get 9 parts water for about 20 parts blood.  But, keep in mind that seawater is like 96% water, and that's not good enough.  Urine would actually be a much better source of hydration than blood for quite a few iterations through your system before the urea and other wastes got too concentrated.

Dried or partially dried blood could be a reasonable food, as people describe above.

Vomit, however, is really just bile, a little acid, and partially-digested food.  No reason why you shouldn't be able to re-consume it.

The ethics for civs eating organs shouldn't be specified, but should be part of the randomness in world-gen.  This tribe of elves believes that a person's soul is passed through their kidneys.  And, it would be too cruel to allow the soul to wander aimlessly outside of a body, so it's important to eat the kidneys of all creatures, so as to not commit the crime of abandoning them in death.

It seems like this would be a good time to make it so that the different levels of prepared meals take, rather than three different items, some amount of SIZE of food.  Each simple meal would be say 1/100 the SIZE of a dwarf (since toady said that the scale is about a factor of a thousand now, that would be 6*1000/100 = 60 size units.  Perhaps the next one would be 1/80 the SIZE of a dwarf, or 75 size units, and the lavish meal would be 90 units.  That's per food item.  This way, the very small creatures (like kittens), would be a reasonable snack, but not a good feast.  One kitten would certainly not feed three dwarves for months.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 25, 2008, 11:28:25 am »

Don't forget a really nice rice covering is chicken blood + other spices.

But be warned: Blood often gives food a taste that can only be called iron-tasting. And by often I mean every time.

You blood eater people must be sick. Seriously. I know what you mean on iron-tasting, I've also licked my cutted finger in the past. It tasted horrible.  :-X

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 25, 2008, 11:44:01 am »

Many countries have blood-based foodstuff. Blood sausages have already been mentioned; England and Sweden has Black Pudding; Denmark and Sweden has Black Soup made from goose blood and wine; the Masai people in Africa let blood from their cattle and drink it mixed with milk ("blood tea"), etc etc.

Blood is very nutritious, and not really dehydrating. However, human metabolism cannot process it "raw" (drink more than a few tablespoons and you'll vomit), but somewhat cooked it is an excellent nutrient.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 25, 2008, 11:47:31 am »

Idea:
 Creature with a weak metal outer shell. Perhaps made of Bauxite?
 Innards of magma.

Any and all bloodstains would result in burnanation. Awesome!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 25, 2008, 12:04:58 pm »

We have "blood candy" here, called "Hematogen". :) It tastes nice for something made of blood.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 25, 2008, 12:13:34 pm »

Some cultures even have boozes brewed from blood. But let us be realistic i dont think toady is implementing this soon if he wants implement it (i mean only the bloodcooking). 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 25, 2008, 03:54:27 pm »

Hehe, it actually looks even worse than it sounds:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2qdd5wo.jpg

..but tastes quite good with lingonberry (red stuff in picture).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 25, 2008, 03:59:41 pm »

I've never had any kind of blood sausage but I'd definitely try it.  Considering the nature of all sausage, it can't be that bad.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 25, 2008, 04:10:53 pm »

Uh...that looks disgusting indeed.  :-X I guess I won't change from fried chicken.  ;D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 25, 2008, 04:11:44 pm »

Even with a hard-wired nausea effect from blood, I have to try this.  It sounds quite tasty.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 148