Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349201 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #585 on: November 21, 2008, 03:02:05 pm »

FLIER is already bound to wings. AMPHIBIOUS is bound to lungs, or whatever is the BREATHE part, but there's no specific tag to tell that a part makes the creature breathe water.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 21, 2008, 03:09:07 pm »

We don't have to worry about Dwarf Lung Men taking over - their population is kept down by their natural enemies, the Tobacco Demons.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2008, 04:05:16 pm »

The latest dev note is beautiful!

Spore, eat your heart out! (and make a Spore-Heart-Man out of it for that matter).
<3

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 21, 2008, 04:13:39 pm »

Hm. You know, I hope Toady has overhauling itemcorpses somewhere in the plans for this as well. It seems to fit, at any rate. Hm, "bodypartcorpse" would solve the hydra issue - "[BPCORPSE:TYPE:HEAD:SKULL:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:HYDRA]". And open a pathway for modders - "[BPCORPSE:TOKEN:RHAND:ITEM_WEAPON_SSWORD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]". :D

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 21, 2008, 04:33:18 pm »

No official genitalia as yet, although it'll be trivially easy to mod them in, as complex as you want. 

Oh man...this is going to be hillarious, especially if genitalias will have a SIZE tag.  ;D

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 21, 2008, 04:33:35 pm »

Hm. You know, I hope Toady has overhauling itemcorpses somewhere in the plans for this as well. It seems to fit, at any rate. Hm, "bodypartcorpse" would solve the hydra issue

What hydra issue? They have one head that has a skull that contains their brain, the rest of the heads just have nerve lumps to control that head and a cartilage (unusable for crafts) skull.

That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it. And modding it back in if I have to.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 21, 2008, 04:38:44 pm »

Hm. You know, I hope Toady has overhauling itemcorpses somewhere in the plans for this as well. It seems to fit, at any rate. Hm, "bodypartcorpse" would solve the hydra issue - "[BPCORPSE:TYPE:HEAD:SKULL:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:HYDRA]". And open a pathway for modders - "[BPCORPSE:TOKEN:RHAND:ITEM_WEAPON_SSWORD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]". :D

That's not really a solution though -- you'd have to add it to every single creature with a skull.  Considering that the skull is an actual body part now, perhaps the game can simply count the number of skulls instead.  Although that begs the question of why the body system currently ignores multiple heads to begin with.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 21, 2008, 04:44:06 pm »

Because it counts just the presence of a [HEAD], not the number of parts with it. And yes, you'd have to add it to every creature with a head. Then again, this is what defaults are for, like [STANDARD_CORPSE]. The syntax is for definition of special cases. If you chop a minotaur's horn off, it must not disappear, it should be present as an item, a trophy!

What hydra issue? They have one head that has a skull that contains their brain, the rest of the heads just have nerve lumps to control that head and a cartilage (unusable for crafts) skull.

That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it. And modding it back in if I have to.
Ahem. And why does this main nerve center always happen to be the first and only head that the hydra ever gets chopped off? ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:45:43 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:29 pm »

Because it counts just the presence of a [HEAD], not the number of parts with it. And yes, you'd have to add it to every creature with a head. Then again, this is what defaults are for, like [STANDARD_CORPSE]. The syntax is for definition of special cases. If you chop a minotaur's horn off, it must not disappear, it should be present as an item, a trophy!

Presumably, if horn is fixed, then chopping off _anything_'s horn(s) will leave it as an item, so that won't be a special case exactly.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 21, 2008, 09:09:17 pm »

Can we now make pig tail sock puppets?

Or will we just be limited to "pig tail man"?

Also, cat skin.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:55 pm »

Yeah, gender differentiation was already confirmed.  No official genitalia as yet, although it'll be trivially easy to mod them in, as complex as you want.  If you could link tissue sizes to emotional states as you can to attributes... well, down that road lies only despair, but it WOULD have legitimate uses, like pufferfish bloating themselves when frightened.

"Engraved here is an image of a dwarf and a *****. The dwarf is embracing the *****."
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 21, 2008, 09:42:57 pm »

With you being able to TECHNICALLY apply gases and liquids as materials for the creature I wonder how long this puts us until we can have characters who are gases or liquids... Or at least until Blood is actually a seperate material.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 21, 2008, 09:44:56 pm »

Yeah, gender differentiation was already confirmed.  No official genitalia as yet, although it'll be trivially easy to mod them in, as complex as you want.  If you could link tissue sizes to emotional states as you can to attributes... well, down that road lies only despair, but it WOULD have legitimate uses, like pufferfish bloating themselves when frightened.

"Engraved here is an image of a dwarf and a pair of  *******. The dwarf is embracing the *******."

That should seem more dwarf-like. Although the first one would be more likely in engravings.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #598 on: November 21, 2008, 10:28:38 pm »

Ah... Now that df has materials for body parts and tissue layers it will surpass Armok 1 in everyway... I've waited over 2 years for this to happen, but now
Toady's done what I never thought he would, now it truly deserves the title of Armok 2!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 21, 2008, 10:53:25 pm »

So who is planning to mod in sweet pod syrup men?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 148