Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349105 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #525 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:55 am »

The fat layer is linked to energy storage and can resize with that, and the muscle layer is linked to strength and can resize with that attribute.

Holy shit.

And about the reaction changes: holy SHIT.  This release is going to be paradise for modders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 20, 2008, 10:52:02 am »

I wonder if that means someone who is very strong can actually increase their "Size" or if someone who is very strong only makes their muscles larger inside their body relative to everything else.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #527 on: November 20, 2008, 10:54:54 am »

"Huge! Huge! HUUUUUGE!"

"Where does he get SUCH POWER?"

Toady, have you ever read into Gurps GULLIVER?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 20, 2008, 11:18:56 am »

The fat layer is linked to energy storage and can resize with that, and the muscle layer is linked to strength and can resize with that attribute.  (There are a few countdowns left on that behavior though).  This means that a fatter dwarf should move slower but block damage more readily (and be hit more often).  They had a fat guy stop a bullet without "actual" damage in trauma life in the er a few days ago so I guess there's some clear reality there.

This sounds really great. All of it.

However: If fatness is linked to energy storage, well... do dwarves have different metabolisms or natural fatness? If not, I'm wondering if we'll get issues where any well-fed fortress ends up full of fat dudes and no skinny guys whatsoever. It would be hilarious, yet problematic/unrealistic.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:57 am »

that boy needs therapy

[off-topic] I wonder, are you familiar with The Avalanches, G-flex? In particular, Frontier Psychiatrist. [/off-topic]

I'm...impressed. Really bloody impressed. This release is going to be VERY interesting.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf
« Reply #530 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:27 am »

... for the purposes of blood volume and damage resistance and so on ...
... blood volume ...

So really, really huge creatures will have really, really, huge guts, which when ripped and teared, should hypothetically become blood baths of biblical proportions?
ow did this get here

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 20, 2008, 11:44:53 am »

... for the purposes of blood volume and damage resistance and so on ...
... blood volume ...

So really, really huge creatures will have really, really, huge guts, which when ripped and teared, should hypothetically become blood baths of biblical proportions?

Haha.  The blood won't actually flow, but it would be pretty badass if the amount of blood splatter was linked to actual blood volume loss, i.e. you cut off a Titan's arm and all the nearby tiles get drenched in blood.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 20, 2008, 11:54:39 am »

1055. Tanning/fat rendering/soap making jobs are now in the reaction raws,

This implies we'll be able to add reactions to the Alchemist's Workshop!

"Huge! Huge! HUUUUUGE!"

"Where does he get SUCH POWER?"

Ze reference.  What is it?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:07:10 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 20, 2008, 12:03:50 pm »

All very awesome stuff, but-

The fat layer is linked to energy storage and can resize with that, and the muscle layer is linked to strength and can resize with that attribute.  (There are a few countdowns left on that behavior though).  This means that a fatter dwarf should move slower but block damage more readily (and be hit more often).  They had a fat guy stop a bullet without "actual" damage in trauma life in the er a few days ago so I guess there's some clear reality there.

This actually makes me worry slightly.  DF is ultimately a fantasy game, and there's a few creatures in the raws that don't strictly obey the laws of biology.  If fat stores energy and you make a big creature with no fat storage, will it pass out all the time from exhaustion?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »

Fat fort! Join 7 dwarves on their weight loss adventures! Who will slim down? Who will survive? Share their hatred for the intruders, and laugh at their attempts to defend their food stores from the starving hordes!

Only on Bay 12, your one stop entertainment... not shop!

Seriously though, SO DAMN AWESOME!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 20, 2008, 12:09:41 pm »

All very awesome stuff, but-

This actually makes me worry slightly.  DF is ultimately a fantasy game, and there's a few creatures in the raws that don't strictly obey the laws of biology.  If fat stores energy and you make a big creature with no fat storage, will it pass out all the time from exhaustion?

The iron man falls over.
The iron man gives in to exhaustion.

I bet he has that covered.  The attribute probably controls the tissue, rather than the other way around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 20, 2008, 12:10:55 pm »

I am going to guess but I think it will fall under "The creature needs no fat for that stat"

Interestingly that brings up many other points such as

1) Alternatives to fat/muscle/whatever (Glowing energy, leaves, flowers)
2) Creatures who cannot increase Attributes
3) Creatures who can increase attributes but who do not exibit physical change
4) Creatures who drastically change when their attributes grow: Many crabs for example if they eat enough, lose their skin and grow an entirely new shell or find a new one.
5) Creatures who exibit only cosmetic changes (color, shine, luster) when their attributes grow
6) Attributes that will grow together rather then seperately or simply linked
7) Attributes that go down as another go up

Woosh! Dun dun dunnnnn!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:17:51 pm by Neonivek »

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 20, 2008, 12:14:09 pm »

Skeletal dragons spring to mind......

Presumably they'll be able to draw on some alternative "magical" source of energy.  If creatures can mix and match these sources, then there's no problem.  Would be good for e.g. elves, with their slightly magical nature, being able to perform better than their skinny, lanky bodies ought to permit.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 20, 2008, 12:18:39 pm »

Skeletal dragons spring to mind......

Presumably they'll be able to draw on some alternative "magical" source of energy.  If creatures can mix and match these sources, then there's no problem.  Would be good for e.g. elves, with their slightly magical nature, being able to perform better than their skinny, lanky bodies ought to permit.

Hmmm. Good thought there.

Overall, this release is going to be awesome! It also means I'm going to be very busy converting stuff over for my mod for awhile. Not that I mind in the least!  ;D
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 20, 2008, 12:26:34 pm »

Of course, we will need to be able to define energy sources. Thus some creature could have a more efficent fat storage, one could use nutrient-rich water sacks, leaves, magic crystals, borgles, etc.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 148