Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349180 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »

This is a miscellaneous note, but it needs to be said: Every, single, recorded wolf attack on a human in real life- every one- was an attack by a rabid wolf. In DF worlds, either Rabies is more contagious than the common cold, or adventurers are actually made of raw spam.

In real life, monkeys do not have a supernatural ability to sense the precise location of the portable items with the highest monetary value within a mile of their location.  Wolves attack adventurers to add challenge.  Though they probably should be a bit more cautious about it.

And are you absolutely sure that a traveler lost in the wilderness has never been attacked by a pack of hungry wolves?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »

This is a miscellaneous note, but it needs to be said: Every, single, recorded wolf attack on a human in real life- every one- was an attack by a rabid wolf. In DF worlds, either Rabies is more contagious than the common cold, or adventurers are actually made of raw spam.
I don't remember the lines "My, what a foamy mouth you have / The better to display my illness, my dear."  So there's a recorded non-rabid wolf attack on a human.

Wolves (and other predators) attack things they can kill without getting hurt.  Children and sheep and bambies, basically.  And dwarves are child-sized.
How little they know about dwarven steel. Tsk tsk tsk.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2008, 04:47:49 pm »

I think I might have a solution to the clothing dilemma.

An idea could be for a job to be to add a new profession called "Tailor" which would allow one to get a Dwarf's or other character's dimensions (who is "designated for measurement") and the better the skill of the tailor, the quicker a fit will be made. From there, you can create a clothing/armor but rather than setting it by size, you set it by Dwarf (and you have the option to hide Dwarfs you don't want to make clothing for beforehand...e.g. that Champion who already has full plate doesn't need more). Clothing types would have a spectrum of low-high fitting, and the closer the clothing type's median is to the Dwarf's dimensions, the better the fit and the snugger the Dwarf (or other creature) feels.  :)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »

Wolf attacks ocour not only when they have rabbies. Thought they dont attack humans normaly there are some exceptions.

Especally when wolfs have cubs they can be very aggressiv against anything that is not prey, An wolf will warn you and trys to chase you away in this situation normaly. Only if you stay or walk any nearer you get attacked.

On the other site it happens then the wolf lives to close with humans and loses his fear by geting feed or something, then the chance of getting attacked is there too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:53:46 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »

An idea could be for a job to be to add a new profession called "Tailor" which would allow one to get a Dwarf's or other character's dimensions (who is "designated for measurement") and the better the skill of the tailor, the quicker a fit will be made. From there, you can create a clothing/armor but rather than setting it by size, you set it by Dwarf (and you have the option to hide Dwarfs you don't want to make clothing for beforehand...e.g. that Champion who already has full plate doesn't need more). Clothing types would have a spectrum of low-high fitting, and the closer the clothing type's median is to the Dwarf's dimensions, the better the fit and the snugger the Dwarf (or other creature) feels.  :)

Yeah this might work. So basically dwarves won't be "able" to equip any clothes, only after the tailor has made the necessary changes.
This can be automated even.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2008, 05:01:34 pm »

So nudist fortress untill you have an Taylor? Well i say for armor it may be interresting but not for normla dwarves cause every normal dwarf should now how to change clothes an bit.
 It was part of common knowledge around 1400 how to work with some common cloth cause taylors were uncommon and worked mostly for very much monney and the high society.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2008, 05:02:36 pm »

No, one-size-doesn't-quite-fit-anyone until tailor.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2008, 05:04:27 pm »

I envisioned the Tailor as a dwarf who does a "measure dwarf" job at his workshop, which automatically creates appropriate clothing production orders in the manager screen.

For simplicity the tailor and his shop could be folded into the clothier and clothier's shop.  Armorers would handle measuring for military dwarves.

The "measure dwarf" job would automatically select dwarves who don't have enough clothing/armor.  So to fully armor your entire military, you'd only have to select their armor class, and the armorer would figure out the rest.

I'm probably going to make a suggestion thread about automatic clothing production, actually.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:09:31 pm by Footkerchief »

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2008, 05:05:26 pm »

Generally wolves wont attack or eat humans.  The known exceptions to this are encroaching near a den where the pups are, starvation, rabies, and when the two biome domains of wolf and human interlap, thus loosing a sense of caution to the average humane presence, often due to the practice of garbage dumping and wildlife feeding.
As a side note, wolves also generally avoid carrion, unlike their cousins the coyote who are more of a scavenger species.

PS: Wolf attacks may also occur when you go to near a kill.  So its generally a good idea not to steal a wolf's hunting prey, they dun like it to much.  >.>

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 10, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »

I envisioned the Tailor as a dwarf who does a "measure dwarf" job at his workshop,

The current job system can't really handle "two dwarves to be in the same place at the same time", as evidenced by crappy liaison meetings, and I suspect changing it to be able to do so would be somewhat more complex than it sounds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 10, 2008, 05:26:01 pm »

I envisioned the Tailor as a dwarf who does a "measure dwarf" job at his workshop,

The current job system can't really handle "two dwarves to be in the same place at the same time", as evidenced by crappy liaison meetings, and I suspect changing it to be able to do so would be somewhat more complex than it sounds.

Yeah, meetings are really awkward, but maybe they could work better if they centered on a workshop rather than a room.

I went ahead and posted that Suggestions thread http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27074.0

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 10, 2008, 05:39:02 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans
The WP article on the subject seems to report overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Remember that DF is set in a fantasy medieval-ish world. Back in the day when they wrote all the fairy tales that demonize wolves, they actually were pretty darn dangerous.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2008, 08:06:24 pm »

Wolf attacks ocour not only when they have rabbies.

They need to do way instain wolf> who kill thier dwarfs, becuse these dwarf can't frigth back? It was on the news this morning a wolf in The Fabled Teeth, who had kill her three dwarfs. They are taking the three dwarf back to Uremrigoth too a lady to rest. My pary are with the adventurer who lost his drunks ; i am truley sorry for your lots.

More to the point, ambushes happen because it'd be boring if they didn't. In the real middle ages, there were more wolves and fewer people, so they probably looked pretty tasty, but no species has lived anywhere for very long while continuing to prey on humans (See: european lions), so the most likely thing is that wolves pretty quickly learned to stay out of our way, except in isolated incidents.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 10, 2008, 08:14:34 pm »

I find it funny that there are many people who like the idea of selections of weapons and armor being more precise for military dwarfs while there are many people who say that the sized-to-dwarf thing is too much micromanagement.  Isn't the ability to make armor fitted for Urist Ironskins a solution to the idea of picking armor for Urist Ironskins to wear?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2008, 11:59:11 am »

Quote from Toadys dev_log

1088. More material stuff. Also the possibility in the raws to set names for each profession type for creatures and also within the different morphs for each creature. It's still a grind down to the mid 1030s where the wounds start.

Does that mean we can too make it impossible say for human Womans to be Soldiers?

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 148