Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349220 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #405 on: November 09, 2008, 05:17:57 pm »

You just need to expand the head-hole a bit to accept two different heads. I would imagine a giant with a large neck would have armor sutable for a smallish etten.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 09, 2008, 06:37:16 pm »

You just need to expand the head-hole a bit to accept two different heads. I would imagine a giant with a large neck would have armor sutable for a smallish etten.

My thoughts exactly.  Oh, the things we must ponder in Dwarf Fortress.

Some thoughts on clothing.  If dwarves are Size 30, with variance +/-3, would we have to order different sizes of armor to be built?  Like Size 33 for big guys, and Size 30 for the smaller end?

And will there be any provision for weighted results?  Say, a variance between Sizes 25 and 50, with the top of the bell curve at 30.

I can't wait to see what Toady came up with.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 09, 2008, 06:40:25 pm »

If it's as I think it is, we might need to train a whole complement of armorers and clothiers, one for each size of clothing in our fortress...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 09, 2008, 08:13:19 pm »

Eventually, but the Combat Arc is more likely for that.
Quote from: MagicJuggler
While we're blessed with your almighty presence, what has been your general attitude regarding the request for more building-block materials such as rotatable/movable building components?
*Looks and notices no reply to his quote...was this an error?

Ah, yeah, I missed it among the many blocks, even though or perhaps because it was first.  My general attitude...  there are a couple things I guess.  Once sieges are up for improvement in the army arc, I'm probably going to tackle things like siege towers, which are multi-tile, multi-level constructions that can move across the map while containing critters and items (much like boats would be), and that also opens up some more thought along the lines of improved traps and all that.  There's also a dev item on generalized workshops, which I haven't fleshed out really, about allowing more types of jobs to take place at say, a table with some tools, and then allow specialization with more equipment, perhaps homogenizing this with the notion of rooms and stockpiles and activity zones and so on under one sensible umbrella.  Nothing finalized though.

Boats and siege towers...how would the two interact? E.g. you would not be capable of building a tower on top of a boat, right? And will there be some degree of customization among these towers? After all, there was a wide amount of variance in siege towers, some being either horse-drawn or powered by people turning a wheel on the inside, some being used for boarding, and some simply being used as mobile catapult platforms...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 09, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »

Boats arn't in yet. Toady just says that Siege towers will function in a similar method to how Toady would suspect boats would.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 10, 2008, 12:54:08 am »

so has toady resolved the issue with multi-tiled machines and creatures with the seige-engines?

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 10, 2008, 01:35:09 am »

so has toady resolved the issue with multi-tiled machines and creatures with the seige-engines?

He's talking about a planned dev item for later on in the army arc.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2008, 08:58:06 am »

Some thoughts on clothing.  If dwarves are Size 30, with variance +/-3, would we have to order different sizes of armor to be built?  Like Size 33 for big guys, and Size 30 for the smaller end?

I am clueless, but this sounds a bit too complicated to me. [Even tho, it makes sense and sounds realistic]

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 10, 2008, 09:16:07 am »

I am clueless, but this sounds a bit too complicated to me. [Even tho, it makes sense and sounds realistic]

I could happily accept chain mail and leather armor being (relatively) easily adjustable for different body sizes. Plate mail would be a little more of a stretch - IRL I seem to recall that they were usually custom-made for an individual. At least the plate mail of the European mounted knights (which were mostly noblemen, IIRC).

In all honesty though, I don't think this is necessaryily a fun area to add more potential obstacles to.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 10, 2008, 09:28:36 am »

Hehe this noblemans did thanks to nostra-toady-damus know that DF-players will rule the world in the future and were prepared, they just didnt know how near or far this future is.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2008, 12:03:23 pm »

I don't know what to think here. On one hand, I understand that having different sizes of clothing for different members of your society will probably produce a large amount of micromanagement. On the other hand, I wouldn't like the upcoming detailed system with size variance be coupled with clothing that has "one size fits all within the race" as well. Maybe we can have an intermediate system? Like, have "stretchable" clothing (STRETCH tag with units that define maximum plus/minus size deviation?) or Shroedinger clothing? (one-size-fits-race until someone wears it?)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2008, 12:33:54 pm »

Then you have to consider the kids. Will they wear different sized clothing than adults?
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2008, 12:56:54 pm »

There's always tailoring.

Although I'd kind of rather prefer not to worry about clothing/armor sizes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:20 pm »

Yeah, clothing/armor size is always a bit of an issue.

I guess I'm for it if Toady can come up with a way to make resizing/appropriate sizing built into the game in a reasonably seamless way. Perhaps instead of simply making X shirts we have a system where dwarves go to the tailor/leatherworker and get a shirt made for them?

I can attest that with plate armor it's very custom. You can make things a bit easier with a decent strapping system, but that only helps very small variations. Most people can really only wear their own armor comfortably. Even resizing armor for someone else takes quite a bit of work, and doesn't always work that well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:06 pm »

I guess I'm for it if Toady can come up with a way to make resizing/appropriate sizing built into the game in a reasonably seamless way. Perhaps instead of simply making X shirts we have a system where dwarves go to the tailor/leatherworker and get a shirt made for them?

I like this idea! Then the dwarves could order clothes based on their material-preferences and/or personality.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 148