Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349266 times)

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #390 on: November 07, 2008, 05:25:15 pm »

Toady, is there any developement reason why you can't make intermediate releases that include all the wrapped up features you've finished on but leaving out the bits you're working on still?

You are such a jerk. :P

Presumably the code is in bits and pieces right now as he works on some of the underlying structure that will support the new features. It'd be like living in a house that's still under construction.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 07, 2008, 05:27:32 pm »

Toady, is there any developement reason why you can't make intermediate releases that include all the wrapped up features you've finished on but leaving out the bits you're working on still?

You are such a jerk. :P

Because it would be pointless to release half-assed versions?  ::)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2008, 05:52:16 pm »

Nevermind folks, he said it right there on page two.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2008, 06:03:37 pm »

Dang... I really gotta get myself a copy of that game...

Dang it... I cannot find that old page anymore...

I think the classical Armok pages are dead... ohh well.

Yeah, its a pity you just can't go here...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2008, 07:47:40 pm »

As long as combat in general is being improved, are the munitional application of coins, water and vomit going to be decreased?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »

Dang... I really gotta get myself a copy of that game...

Dang it... I cannot find that old page anymore...

I think the classical Armok pages are dead... ohh well.

Yeah, its a pity you just can't go here...

Wow it is back up YEAH!!!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY cow, some of this stuff is awesome! I really hope it gets into Dwarf Fortress eventually

Specifically that you could add in extra creatures, materials, and what have you as a seperate being (instead of how it is currently) that you can chose to, or not to, add to a game. I can just imagine the modding glory!!!

Playing it more I can see why he just up and abandoned it. (Traveling is just as tedius as traveling is in real life)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:45:51 pm by Neonivek »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2008, 03:34:07 am »

Edit: Just thought of a question. Are any of these changes going to have an effect on the world gen combat? Perhaps even let megabeasts not suck during world gen?

Eventually, but the Combat Arc is more likely for that.

Quote from: MagicJuggler
While we're blessed with your almighty presence, what has been your general attitude regarding the request for more building-block materials such as rotatable/movable building components?
*Looks and notices no reply to his quote...was this an error?

Ah, yeah, I missed it among the many blocks, even though or perhaps because it was first.  My general attitude...  there are a couple things I guess.  Once sieges are up for improvement in the army arc, I'm probably going to tackle things like siege towers, which are multi-tile, multi-level constructions that can move across the map while containing critters and items (much like boats would be), and that also opens up some more thought along the lines of improved traps and all that.  There's also a dev item on generalized workshops, which I haven't fleshed out really, about allowing more types of jobs to take place at say, a table with some tools, and then allow specialization with more equipment, perhaps homogenizing this with the notion of rooms and stockpiles and activity zones and so on under one sensible umbrella.  Nothing finalized though.

If there a possibility of a release once the wounds are updated? Because that's honestly one of my big points of annoyance right now.

Nope.  The outlining process involved gutting everything, and I'm not going to be in a position to release until I'm done.

As long as combat in general is being improved, are the munitional application of coins, water and vomit going to be decreased?

That's more of a combat arc thing, though something will change just by virtue of how much has been overhauled.  For better or for worse, I won't know until I get it up and running and get a chance to tweak everything.  The hope is to always nudge it toward better.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 08, 2008, 10:35:42 am »

I'm probably going to tackle things like siege towers, which are multi-tile, multi-level constructions that can move across the map while containing critters and items (much like boats would be), and that also opens up some more thought along the lines of improved traps and all that. 

Holy cow! This siege tower idea sounds awesome. It will be something like what we've seen in the LotR movies.  8)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »

I am kinda curious to what he expanded Sizes to. If I were to guess Id say he multiplied it by 5 so a Dragon is size 100

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2008, 07:17:40 pm »

I am kinda curious to what he expanded Sizes to. If I were to guess Id say he multiplied it by 5 so a Dragon is size 100

Also let's don't forget about the SIZE variences in a given race. I suppose it will work like [example]:
Troll
Minimum SIZE: 15
Maximum SIZE: 20
So trolls will be generated randomly between SIZE 15 and 20.  8)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 08, 2008, 07:22:20 pm »

Also let's don't forget about the SIZE variences in a given race. I suppose it will work like [example]:
Troll

I'm curious how relative body part sizes fit into that.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 08, 2008, 07:28:11 pm »

Troll

I'm curious how relative body part sizes fit into that.

That is a good question.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 08, 2008, 07:28:48 pm »

I don't think Dragons will have size varience... though I wouldn't say it is very unlikely.

Now working on blind guesses Id think for now Toady is going to stick with small variences so we won't get shrimps or Giants among dwarves... Nor will he include statistic based increases in size (such as strength)

If he does allow large varience in civilisaed species then my next blind guess is that armor will function via magic and thus will fit no matter how much varience there is.

Wow, those are a lot of guesses.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #403 on: November 08, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »

Here's a quick question: with the new body system, will hydras and such produce more than one skull when butchered/rotten?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2008, 08:56:54 pm »

"One size fits most."
Dwarves make the armor so it can fit maximum dwarfy size, it will just be looser on the small dwarves.

Question:
Will an Ettin civ be able to wear a Giant civ's armor, even if they are the same size?
If I recall, Ettins have two heads and Giant armor would have one head-hole.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 148