Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349302 times)

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #345 on: November 04, 2008, 04:45:36 pm »

I haven't played in a couple months, can someone sum up major changes before I start a community fortress on another forum?

- Variable amount of tiles displayed (i.e. true fullscreen)
- Site finder (basically an automated, built-in regional prospector)
- Highly customizable world gen
- More complex civilization histories with wars, conquest, etc.
- Embark settings can be saved
- Ability to forbid/dump/melt/hide items en masse, either with a designation or from Stocks
- Ability to place large sections of constructions (walls, floors) at once, rather than one at a time

Depending on how many months you've been away, these may or may not be new to you.

I knew about mass constructions, that was the last true version I played with. Damn college and it's rigorousness.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 04, 2008, 05:17:41 pm »

Yeah, I'm excited about the changes not because it's more detailed, but because it will finally BALANCE combat, so that big scary things are actually big and scary, and that small things are not so much.

I include dwarves under the "small things" category.  Losing is fun, after all.  I don't want it to be as easy as it is to kill everyone and everything.  The abstractions we had before made everything too fragile, and skills too powerful.  Now creatures will be able to survive long enough to be a threat.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:23:41 pm by Fieari »

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 04, 2008, 06:37:59 pm »

Yeah, but I maintain that there are plenty of examples out in the game universe of mechanics that balance combat without resorting to tracking multiple groups of teeth which is just needlessly complex. I don't like losing a dwarf out of a fort to maintain framerate for teeth.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 04, 2008, 06:48:30 pm »

To produce a game balance without adding the new body system Toady would probably have to add a hp/standard RPG character/weapon/armour stats system, or hard code creature mats.  Toady specifically dumped the RPG format for more realistic combat, and hard coding would effectively remove any modding abilities.  Needlessly complex would be a power goal such as: Urist cancels eat, cavity in the top right molars makes chewing unbearable.  Urist starves to death.  I'm just thankful Toady isn't (hopefully) adding cavities and skin cancer.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 04, 2008, 07:27:41 pm »

Personally, I'm ok with an unskilled speardwarf killing a dragon. But, it should be a one in a million chance. You know, the stuff grand stories are made of. And said dwarf should become an instant hero of the people for such a grand deed. As it is, you just sort of groan and wonder why the dragon wasn't cooler.

I was playing as an elven spearman and fought a dragon. I brought a bunch of humans with me and watched them all get burned alive--I only escaped the firebreath three or four times because of my elven speed.

We fought out in the woods and I had to really work to avoid getting trapped by the spreading fire. I threw my extra spears at the dragon but they didn't do much damage, so after rolling out of the way of another blast of firebreath, I charged him and hit him in the neck, which caused a lot of pain and bleeding. He broke my leg but I kept at it and eventually peirced his brain, which put him to bed for good.

I found it to be pretty cool. I don't know what you did wrong.

As for the change itself, a big part of it has to do with sustainable militaries (a reasonable amount of people have to get better and keep fighting) and megabeasts (which lose an eye or something and spend 200 years lying in a cave crying about it).
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 04, 2008, 07:39:17 pm »

Yeah, but I maintain that there are plenty of examples out in the game universe of mechanics that balance combat without resorting to tracking multiple groups of teeth which is just needlessly complex. I don't like losing a dwarf out of a fort to maintain framerate for teeth.

What makes you think it'll affect framerate?

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 04, 2008, 07:44:01 pm »

Obviously you'll have to pathfind for each individual tooth.  OBVIOUSLY.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 04, 2008, 07:48:22 pm »

Personally, I'm ok with an unskilled speardwarf killing a dragon. But, it should be a one in a million chance. You know, the stuff grand stories are made of. And said dwarf should become an instant hero of the people for such a grand deed. As it is, you just sort of groan and wonder why the dragon wasn't cooler.

Ah..but of course, it should be possible, but like you've said the chance for something like that to happen, must be very, very low. This new system will balance these things out, I guess so at least.  :)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 04, 2008, 07:56:45 pm »

Erom the hit on the FPS of the Game would be almost unnoticeable at such minor things like aditional bodyparts. New bodeyparts are not weather. They mostly get loaded if you look at "dwarves" (Elves,Gobos, Catgirls etc) and when this creatures get hit by something. Adding some more options wouldnt make it slower i say. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 04, 2008, 08:10:11 pm »

Erom the hit on the FPS of the Game would be almost unnoticeable at such minor things like aditional bodyparts. New bodeyparts are not weather. They mostly get loaded if you look at "dwarves" (Elves,Gobos, Catgirls etc) and when this creatures get hit by something. Adding some more options wouldnt make it slower i say. 

That's my guess too, and we don't even know how the new body stuff will figure into combat.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2008, 10:23:00 am »

So Toady went to an Obama victory celebration party last night, I take it?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2008, 01:09:43 pm »

The mainstream media are all crowing about how this is the end of racial discrimination and the such, but we cannot rest until a dwarf can make a credible run at the White House without mention of his height.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 05, 2008, 03:43:26 pm »

But the simple fact that he's a dwarf is mentioning his height.  Anyway, back to topic:

I'm just thankful Toady isn't (hopefully) adding cavities and skin cancer.

YET.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2008, 05:35:40 pm »

To be fair, things like radioactivity (pitchblende, the cancer cobble!) and nutritional maladies (scurvy! rickets! osteoperosis!) are probably going to need to wait for the Plagues and Pestilences Arc, or whatever Toady is calling it. But at least the framework for having your skin melt off and hair fall out will be in place when it's needed.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:26 pm »

I don't know if Toady lives in Seattle, but I know he lives in WA. There were places here in the city where cars couldn't get through because the streets were full of ecstatic democrats. Everyone got drunk last night. Everyone.

Or maybe he lives in Renton and it's a bunch of tantruming republicans taking to the streets. Who knows.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 148