Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349338 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2008, 07:04:07 pm »

^^^ It's not a body part, it's part of what forms a body part.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2008, 07:18:07 pm »

Will we be able to determine certain body layers' hardness? So we can have a creature with a hard exoskeleton but a soft, easy to gouge out inside.

I was wondering about this too, in the context of material lists in general.  It would be nice to be able to individually specify material properties such as hardness, sharpness, and strength (catchall for tensile, shear, compressive, etc.) with hardcoded defaults based on the material category (e.g. silk shouldn't be sharp unless otherwise specified).  Dragons with exceptionally strong bones, feathertree treants easier to kill, flint being sharper than granite but not as sharp as obsidian, chitin being hard but brittle.

Add me to the list of "wondering people".  ;D
If we could specify the "hardness" of certain body layers....that would be simply awesome. No more "speardwarf is killing the dragon with a lucky hit" moments.  8)

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2008, 09:23:33 pm »

You'll still be able to lose a single tooth, it just doesn't have its own individual name (there are currently 6 groups).

Upper Incisors, Lower Incisors, Upper Canines, Lower Canines, Upper Molars and Lower Molars? I guess that's fine, but I'd break those off into Left and Right groups, so that a swift mace to one side of the face results in noticable asymmetry. (And to allow crazy magic hybrid creatures, like a sheep-wolf with a herbavore's teeth on one side and a carnivore's teeth on the other.)

I'm kind of disappointed that Toady's post mentions all kinds of hair (body, head, facial, eyebrow, eyelash), but doesn't give any explicit shout-out to beards in particular! Even elf women are known to grow faint mustaches; a dwarf's beard is in a class of it's own!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2008, 09:28:22 pm »

I'm still curious if with all this body detail if there would be sexual organs.

Though I'm okay with the idea that DF inhabitants breed via spores.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2008, 09:35:28 pm »

He mentioned "basic di/polymorphism for creatures" being on the table for this release, so what Toady doesn't make explicit, the modders will.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 03, 2008, 10:00:13 pm »

Though I'm okay with the idea that DF inhabitants breed via spores.

Id hope it would be summed up entirely as "Groin" at most

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 03, 2008, 10:03:16 pm »

Now, I never really went into a whole lot of detail into Armok 1's creature creation system but I remember it had something similar to the replacing skin with chitin whatnot thing.  I remember a dragon's scales were actually a separate materiel.

Fraid I didn't get into much detail on that though.  I was having too much fun teleporting bunny organs and bodyparts around a mountainside while trying to keep the bunny alive and conscious as long as possible.  I think I might be evil.

Anyway...I hope toady is finally trying to transfer that part of Armok 1's body system into DF.

EDIT: Subject at hand.  If I cut off teleported away a cow's udder would milk come out?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:05:16 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:22 pm »

I wonder if Skin will be one entity or several... hmmm

I suspect it will be an entity for every external part of the body for the most part (excluding some such as the eyes) as otherwise it could make silly instant flaying scenes.

The flying *Iron Bolt* strikes The Guard in the skin!
The skin flies off in a bloody arc!
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 03, 2008, 10:54:09 pm »

EDIT: Subject at hand.  If I cut off teleported away a cow's udder would milk come out?

I wouldn't think so in the same way that if I cut your groin off painlessly, urine wouldn't come out I believe.

Mind you I have little knowledge of a cow when it comes to biology... The furthest it goes is that a cow actually has one stomach with four-six sections

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #324 on: November 03, 2008, 11:12:36 pm »

I'm gonna be a doomsayer and predict this will destroy DF.
This seems rather unneeded at this time, will only make the game more complicated.
It would serve no purpose at this time, and as such it willl just slow things down.
And slowing them down is by no means a good idea.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2008, 12:02:56 am »

Without the revamped body parts/added body parts the military aspect can't expand.  i.e; goblin sieges would still fall to a single wrestling champion who's been at it for a mere few weeks.  Now, maybe you like an easy fort, but I'm fairly tired of having five soldiers defend the realm successfully while 100 odd other dwarves go about with idle and party status.

As to complicated, it will only add complications if you like to mess around with raws.  If this bothers you to much, use other people's raws.  As to injured dwarves, before you would kill of unconscious wounded dwarves, now you just send armless Urist to the downing chamber.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 04, 2008, 04:47:34 am »

You wouldn't even notice it in fortress mode i think unless you look through the descriptions after an fight. And it makes hopefully dwarves and all other things more "Crossbow-bolt" proofed.

It opens a door to new attacks like hairdrawing, direct hits on the Jaw, Stings to the eyes or other vital organs. Not to mention the awesome Historys. I magine you pick an hero Kobold from history and look where he/she lost an eye or from where she got this or this scar.

Another thing would be Alchemy if toady links organs to some extracts. Say glowing liquid from the Photophores of an (Giant) Glowbug which could be used in "lighting arc" too. Or melt the Steel bones from the flesh-golem over there that brings me to another thing:

With this many new Bodyparts and materials its too possible to write an good working Random creature generator (so long DF dont have its own). Thats definitly an pro for me.

Hopefully we get some material that heals faster then get cuted for creatures like Giant-amobaes or Sand-Golems.

Another thing i wish that could be in would be that you can set how creatures see with theyr eyes. I mean things like Night-vision, Infrared-vision, Movement (like certain reptiles that can only spot moving prey), Vibration-vision (Sonar, echolot) etc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:57:17 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2008, 06:42:46 am »

Much further down the line, in fact I am surprised there isn't one already, people will probably make a Raw maker that fits all the raws in an easy to use format.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2008, 08:31:09 am »

I'm gonna be a doomsayer and predict this will destroy DF.
This seems rather unneeded at this time, will only make the game more complicated.
It would serve no purpose at this time, and as such it willl just slow things down.
And slowing them down is by no means a good idea.

I don't agree. These changes will enchance the diversity of the combat system, that's all, and it is a good thing! The game itself won't be more complicated at all.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 04, 2008, 10:52:41 am »

Distractions shall not get the better part of me!
...Ooh, a pizza!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 148