Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349404 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2008, 06:34:05 pm »

What forum was that?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2008, 06:39:51 pm »

What forum was that?

Google is amazing!  ;D
http://zip.4chan.org/tg/res/2782967.html

Erm quite intelligent post by the way..but yeah the poster is just overexcited I guess :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 06:43:15 pm by Tormy »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2008, 06:42:07 pm »

I have mentally blocked my finger from ever clicking on a link to that place. I know there is likely Dwarf Fortress there, but there are dragons lurking under those links. Dragons I prefer to stay far away from.

Damn you, completely founded fears!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2008, 06:44:02 pm »

I have mentally blocked my finger from ever clicking on a link to that place.

Now that is understandable.  :)

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2008, 07:21:14 pm »

/tg/, the Traditional Games board, is pretty safe and quite interesting.  But still, it's a part of the internet with next to no laws, so you're always just a few accidental clicks from things not safe for human consumption.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2008, 03:54:16 am »

The latest dev_now update is making me all giddy.
<3

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2008, 04:14:27 am »

The latest dev_now update is making me all giddy.

Me too. The wound system will be a HUGE upgrade.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2008, 05:01:45 am »

Questions for Toady, now that you're working on all that military stuff-

Is weapon equipping receiving any attention?  Specifically, the inability to use pikes, whips, bows, and blowguns in fortress mode.  In know it's called "Dwarf Fortress", but beyond the hilarity of a dwarf using a blowgun, I know I'm not the only person to try playing "Human Town" and "Kobold Cave".

Likewise, do you think the 'two weapons' system needs any changes?

And just because it's related, is a creature Mounting system anywhere on the horizon?  Dang humans get the breaks.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2008, 06:00:10 am »

I was wondering, Toady, if you would be able to address the "MIRV Crossbow Bolts" oddity that crops up on particular crits.  You know, when a bolt seems to go in an eye, break a neck, purée a lung and come out the left knee.

This is slated for the Combat Arc (probably the principal problem to be addressed by it), so it's kind of on the fringes here.  Even though it's that important, I'm not sure I'm going to tackle it until I go at combat revisions full-on, as it relates to things like being able to hit multiple parts with a sword and so on.

I was wondering if the new body/tissue layouts would have an effect on crits and organ damage?

It'll be quite a change, I think, but I'm not sure how much it'll actually change the overall results of a given swing on a similarly-sized-and-bodied opponent.  There will be enough moving parts that I've got to get my initial system up and play it over and over again and tweak on feel.

Regarding scratches, will multiple scratches in the same area slowly open up wounds or start to cause pain? I'm envisioning a giant being swarmed by rats or piranhas or something here, and it would make some of the lamer cave monsters more interesting if you saw one and suddenly had to worry if there were enough around to swarm you.

Yeah, there will be cumulative effects, so that you can have an actual effect.  Even something like a swarm of vicious biting insects causing real trouble for your adventurer in a marsh or something should be possible through the system.  Again, it'll be a matter of feel here, with some missteps likely, hopefully with amusing results.

Is weapon equipping receiving any attention?  Specifically, the inability to use pikes, whips, bows, and blowguns in fortress mode.  In know it's called "Dwarf Fortress", but beyond the hilarity of a dwarf using a blowgun, I know I'm not the only person to try playing "Human Town" and "Kobold Cave".

At the very least, the choices will be based on the entity defs, so if you play a human town, you'll get the human lists.  I didn't have any plans at this time for exotic weapon use -- certainly it makes sense that a dwarf, when pressed, would use whatever is around, but culturally it would be odd to have a unit based around it.  At the same time, if that's all you've got in significant numbers, you should be able to do it, maybe with some backlash among those dwarves with the "values tradition" personality facet, especially if you have proper weapons available.

Likewise, do you think the 'two weapons' system needs any changes?

It's bugged and also crap, yeah.

And just because it's related, is a creature Mounting system anywhere on the horizon?  Dang humans get the breaks.

I'm not sure...  I'd put it in adv mode first, and at that point there'd be an opportunity to do it for dwarf mode, but...  well, it's not in my set of easy visualizations for them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2008, 08:28:20 am »

Thanks for the replies, Today!

I certainly hope the missteps in swarming will be funny as well. I'm betting that at least once bugs will gnaw a dwarf to death within one round. :D :D :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2008, 11:21:06 am »

I'm not sure...  I'd put it in adv mode first, and at that point there'd be an opportunity to do it for dwarf mode, but...  well, it's not in my set of easy visualizations for them.

Personally I think [from the modding perspective], it would be nice to have options in the RAWs to add/edit/design mounts for various entities. Example: I mod in a new race: Orcs, and I would like to specify a mount for the orc warriors. So, mod in a giant wolf for example -> "give" this creature to the Orcs -> Wolfriders. This would be awesome to have.
..as for dwarves, I don't really care about mounts that much, but for other civs/entities, it's a must have sooner or later.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:22:45 am by Tormy »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:15 pm »

I'm not sure if this suggestion qualifies for a separate thread, so:

Choosing quality weapons. I have tens of high quality steel axes lying in my storage while the champions run around with normal iron axes. Would it be possible to assign each soldier some points which he can "spend" on getting better equipment to avoid this problem?
Right now I have to order everyone to drop their stuff, forbid the weaker weapons and then choose them again (which is a PITA because I don't have a summarized view of their weapon skills).
<3

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2008, 12:31:47 pm »

Yeah, and of course there's the opposite, which is using sparring weapons instead of *Adamantine Short Sword*s. Granted, with whatever sparring changes might be coming, this might be less of a big deal, but I'd like to see that covered by a broader solution to weapon and armor handling for squads/units.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2008, 01:43:24 pm »

At the very least, the choices will be based on the entity defs, so if you play a human town, you'll get the human lists.  I didn't have any plans at this time for exotic weapon use -- certainly it makes sense that a dwarf, when pressed, would use whatever is around, but culturally it would be odd to have a unit based around it.  At the same time, if that's all you've got in significant numbers, you should be able to do it, maybe with some backlash among those dwarves with the "values tradition" personality facet, especially if you have proper weapons available.

Great to hear you've thought about it.  I was specifically referring to the how the military weapon menu doesn't have options to order units to carry anything but dwarf weapons.  I guess that'll be irrelevant, since I assume the entire military menu system is being rebuilt?

I've got some pitchable ideas.  For Fortress Mode, the Animal menu could mark animals for Available For Mount in the same way as pets (probably after they've received mount training at a kennel), and the squad or equipment menu could order a unit to Use Mount.  Then they just run off to grab a creature, and from then on they're linked as mounts (and I guess infants?) already do.  It's imprecise and a little clunky, but as functional as it needs to be.

Spoiler: Moar Suggestions (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2008, 06:49:14 am »

The new update looks great.  On the subject of squads, formations, etc:

I like to play with a set of Gate Guards - at the moment these are assigned individual positions (which are alcoves in the entrance passages) because I like the idea of bearskin-and-redcoared sentries standing to attention (for game months on end LOL).  At the moment, to achieve this, every alcove needs a pair of one-dwarf squads assigned to it (a Spring/Autumn and a Winter/Summer shift).

It would be nice if the new system went someway to making this easier (perhaps the 'formations' mentioned could mean that a particular squad has multiple position points assigned to it, and fills them as best as it can) but my main worry is that this behaviour won't be b0rkened, since not only is it aesthetically pleasing, it's also very handy as an anti-thief/snatcher technique (I'm not a big fan of traps ATM).
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 148