Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349136 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #930 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:05 pm »

Hey, let's pool some money and buy him one of those mini nuclear reactors!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #931 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:44 pm »

No laptop...  no car.

Yeah, some places aren't equipped for a snowsnorm and the drivers aren't used to it, so it's even dangerous to be walking around after the snow's on the ground.  This is one of those places (compared to the four years I lived in New Hampshire, anyway).

Here, the power is also pretty susceptible to wind, and were gusting around 40 mph right now (steady at 20, and that continues to be the forecast through the night).  Oooo  just lost the lights a second again.  At least I'm not out in the woods like my brother...  sometimes they don't get their power back for days out there.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 12, 2008, 07:10:21 pm »

Hey, let's pool some money and buy him one of those mini nuclear reactors!

Lets start small like an electric or Gas generator.

Also Toady I hope you don't take risks during Lightning storms for us... did you know that before the advent of the cordless phone the phone was the #1 way in which people were struck by lightning? Though I have no idea if lightning COULD strike you through your computer (my Monitor once over-charged and I thought I saw lightning... Freeked me half to death!)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:12:18 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 12, 2008, 07:15:26 pm »

If the wind's that strong outside, go stick a fan out the window and plug yer comp into it! :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 12, 2008, 07:46:52 pm »

If the wind's that strong outside, go stick a fan out the window and plug yer comp into it! :P

What is this? The Movie "The Core"?

Fans don't have the ability to transform the kenetic energy of the wind into that usable by computers.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 12, 2008, 07:48:21 pm »

Fans don't have the ability to transform the kenetic energy of the wind into that usable by computers.
Unless you have some transformers.
 You know, those wall plugs that are really big in comparison to others?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 12, 2008, 07:51:19 pm »

Failure to understand a joke?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 12, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »

err, it depends on the kind of fan, actually. Most runs on electricity, which could possibly be ran 'backswards' to generate power (that's all mechanically-powered generator does, turn movement input into energy output ), but it won't be enough to run a computer on it's own, for most kind of fan sizes ( Too little power generated  ;D )

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 12, 2008, 07:53:01 pm »

Perhaps my failure to understand a joke has to deal with my lack of Iron-E in my diet.

Luckly I can just carve some out of your statement it is so thick! :D

Note: The general tone of my statement is friendly.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 12, 2008, 08:12:12 pm »

I live out in the middle of nowhere and usually the only thing that takes out power is:
A) Car accidents
B) Branches from trees being knocked down by snow/wind onto power lines, causing fires.
C) Maintenance.
Also, freezing rain only happens a few times a year here, we still function.  So whats an inch of snow?  At least salt will melt that, gets to cold for salt here.  Man it must suck to live in mild and tropic areas, having a heart attack every time you see water-glue.

Edit: I should clarify that while freezing rain isn't that common for my area, snow melting/rain falling then re-freezing on the ground isn't.
Damn that water glue.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:13:53 pm by Kardos »

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 12, 2008, 09:51:58 pm »

I live out in the middle of nowhere and usually the only thing that takes out power is:
A) Car accidents
B) Branches from trees being knocked down by snow/wind onto power lines, causing fires.
C) Maintenance.
Also, freezing rain only happens a few times a year here, we still function.  So whats an inch of snow?  At least salt will melt that, gets to cold for salt here.  Man it must suck to live in mild and tropic areas, having a heart attack every time you see water-glue.

Edit: I should clarify that while freezing rain isn't that common for my area, snow melting/rain falling then re-freezing on the ground isn't.
Damn that water glue.
Water glue?
Meh, this mild area isn't paying off, too hot in the summer, not enough insulating clouds in the winter to keep it mild.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 12, 2008, 10:20:36 pm »

Water glue?
Meh, this mild area isn't paying off, too hot in the summer, not enough insulating clouds in the winter to keep it mild.
Ice, it likes to hold things together when it's first applied in its liquid state.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 12, 2008, 10:46:52 pm »

Freezing rain is very beautiful! I love what it does to the trees! I don't like however what it does to the roads.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 13, 2008, 12:24:30 am »

Freezing rain is very beautiful! I love what it does to the trees! I don't like however what it does to the roads.
Well, maybe not in Ontario where they get ice storms big enough to knock down 60 year old elms and oaks.

This is a master craft yard.  All decorations are of the highest natureship.
In it is a lawn of expertly mown grass.
In it is a magnificent elm of 60 years.

An Ice storm has struck the master craft yard!
The elm is struck!
It is struck in two!

Hehe, damn elves, serves them right.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 13, 2008, 12:58:55 am »

I live... In... Ontario...  :-[

And beside a forest

I just love their "Covered with a thin layer of Ice" look! I also love Wispy Snow
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:00:55 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 148