Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349567 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 07:53:54 pm »

Hmmm, is this FotF 5? Seems like it's getting shorter every time. ::)

Anywho. Toady, what future development, of all of them, are you most excited about implementing?  :P

I'm not good with favorites or best-ofs and stuff.  I think it'll all be pretty cool.

So on FotF threads (not sure if this one or the other one would be the best place to ask, but this has the best name for it), what do people want out of those now anyway?  There are often questions mixed with meandering degeneracy, and I'm not sure how to set that up.  If I sticky one, I'd like it to be one I've made myself, so that I can change the OP if necessary, but I dunno what the OP should be, really, or what people want out of it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 08:21:50 pm »

You can change the OP, you know.
Something like:

This is the official Future of the Fortress thread for discussion and speculation of dwarf fortress's development.

You could ramble on a bit more, or you could not.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 08:30:17 pm »

Also linked to on the above reference, this guy's page has lots of exhaustive information on making languages listed in the right column.  Fascinating reading even if you're note into linguistics, with four different examples of language making, each quite enlightening.
OMG

The links in this post and the one above it just kept me occupied for several hours
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 10:27:55 pm »

Hmmm, is this FotF 5? Seems like it's getting shorter every time. ::)

Anywho. Toady, what future development, of all of them, are you most excited about implementing?  :P

I'm not good with favorites or best-ofs and stuff.  I think it'll all be pretty cool.

So on FotF threads (not sure if this one or the other one would be the best place to ask, but this has the best name for it), what do people want out of those now anyway?  There are often questions mixed with meandering degeneracy, and I'm not sure how to set that up.  If I sticky one, I'd like it to be one I've made myself, so that I can change the OP if necessary, but I dunno what the OP should be, really, or what people want out of it.

FotF is usually great for two things. Discussing the cool new dev_nows, as well as being able to clarify points you've blogged about. I feel just focusing on those two points, and limiting conversation to it, would be nifty. Maybe make FotF one of the few threads we actually moderate for off topicness, to keep it nice and clean, and full of information.

Just my 2 cents.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2008, 02:26:21 pm »

Eh Toads, if you are looking to buy a cheap computer, you could try the monthly/bi-monthly UW surplus property sale on August 5th. 

http://www.washington.edu/admin/surplus/

I doubt that you could get a wicked gaming rig there, but you might be able to get a servicable backup machine for under $200 that could probably run DF reasonably well, perhaps with upgraded RAM. 

Then again, with your recent influx of wealth ( :) ) I guess that you might be looking for something nicer than a generic computer lab box.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2008, 04:36:14 pm »

Eh Toads, if you are looking to buy a cheap computer, you could try the monthly/bi-monthly UW surplus property sale on August 5th. 

http://www.washington.edu/admin/surplus/

I doubt that you could get a wicked gaming rig there, but you might be able to get a servicable backup machine for under $200 that could probably run DF reasonably well, perhaps with upgraded RAM. 

Then again, with your recent influx of wealth ( :) ) I guess that you might be looking for something nicer than a generic computer lab box.

I doubt that Toady needs a decent gaming rig. I just cant imagine as Toady is playing with Crysis!  ;D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2008, 12:53:56 am »

I doubt that Toady needs a decent gaming rig. I just cant imagine as Toady is playing with Crysis!  ;D

I can't see me playing Crysis ever:

"OMG!  Look at these graphics!  Wait, why is the water rippling in a non realistic way?  And why do the prom fronds look like they're made out of cut steel?  Holy **** I can see the PORES on that dude's face....wait.  WHY WOULD I WANT TO?!?"  D:

The added pores to the faces, but didn't bother giving the eyeball all that much texture space, so it doesn't look like it can orbit in its socket (it looks taped on, basically).  Man that game tweaks my nerves.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2008, 05:54:14 am »

Hehe, I have a serious issue sadly, I tend to buy lot of games. Even tho only a few is on my HDD still, and those are mostly all old games.  ::)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2008, 08:33:52 am »

FotF is usually great for two things. Discussing the cool new dev_nows, as well as being able to clarify points you've blogged about. I feel just focusing on those two points, and limiting conversation to it, would be nifty. Maybe make FotF one of the few threads we actually moderate for off topicness, to keep it nice and clean, and full of information.

I find myself in full agreement. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2008, 08:46:38 am »

I can't see me playing Crysis ever:

"OMG!  Look at these graphics!  Wait, why is the water rippling in a non realistic way?  And why do the prom fronds look like they're made out of cut steel?  Holy **** I can see the PORES on that dude's face....wait.  WHY WOULD I WANT TO?!?"  D:

The added pores to the faces, but didn't bother giving the eyeball all that much texture space, so it doesn't look like it can orbit in its socket (it looks taped on, basically).  Man that game tweaks my nerves.

Crysis is actually a pretty fun game. Kind of shallow, but fun.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 07:05:30 am »

So I had to scuttle over and ask: now that we can get MORE tiles in the vertical direction, is it possible we'll be able to get LESS in the horizontal one? (40 or at least 60 to be precise).

<3

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 08:18:28 am »

Nah, like I said, it's 80x25 to 200x200.  I can't make the numbers smaller as easily because the menus would need to be changed.  Basically, to support tilesets with larger tile dimensions (is that what you're getting at?), I'd need to scrap the grid and support smaller/variable width fonts coexisting with the larger images.  That doesn't mean it's not coming, it's just further down the line in the presentation stuff (to be supported in the full gutting I've brought up occasionally).  The latest change was something I could put together quickly with (I think) minimal hassles/bugs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 11:03:03 am »

I really hope that the more intresting underground would involve the possibility to find underground caves. Large open areas. That would be cool. Not just bottomless pits but just a large open area that you can expand into and build into. Would be so cool... i think so atleast...
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »

... and these caves should be more common in areas consisting of limestone or dolomite or similar stones. To simulate the real geography, and to make different stone layers more unique. Yay!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:03 pm »

and you shouldn't be able to locate them - they would appear as if they are a large cluster in the rock  - except nothing inside - maybe also add tower caps - thus another way to get spores.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 148