Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 348571 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1725 on: January 20, 2009, 01:35:41 pm »

Arguments about the strength of cardinal feathers will probably break down into one poster giving what seems to them like a decent set of numbers, a second poster asking if that was loadbearing feathers or down, the first saying loadbearing but then giving what he thinks would work for down, a third comparing said numbers with the strengths for known materials and suggesting corrections, and a fourth (this one a hardcore rawmonkey) picks the winners and craps out everything in raw forms. This isn't like the arguments on the magic system and other such hullabaloo that we keep seeing gangrape the suggestion board... its really rather straightforward.

Not so straightforward that it would be unambiguously easier for Toady to let someone else do it.  There are lots of fairly subjective choices to be made, like the level of detail appropriate for "official" creatures, and various physical properties that simply aren't known or at least aren't easy to find (relative thickness of a cougar's fat layer or whatever).  Besides, it's sounding like Toady will be done reworking the creatures in a day or two.  Whatever he doesn't add can wait for modding.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 20, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »

Toady does seem to be flying through things I thought would take a while.  Looks like this will only make up about of week of work.  I imagine a lot of creatures' biology is going to look much the same, as one would expect.

This does make me wonder why there aren't more Suggestion threads about mundane creatures.  I know warthogs used to be in the game, and I don't see why they aren't there now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 20, 2009, 02:50:00 pm »

I don't see any panthers either.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:21 pm »

I want to see kangaroos.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 20, 2009, 03:17:57 pm »

I'd be happy to see coyotes.  I know someone put them in a mod, but I never end up using those.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1730 on: January 20, 2009, 03:38:32 pm »

Aren't warthogs in there?  I just updated them, so they are in some version of the raws.

I remember looking at panthers on wikipedia when I was putting in the big cats -- there, they aren't a specific cat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther
Certainly the color morph for "black panthers" is something that should be respected at some point, and it could kind of be done now, I guess, though the genetics of it would probably be way off.

Nope, this isn't the wall yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 20, 2009, 03:43:49 pm »

Isn't there a good 'Contents of the Ark' mod out there?  If the community standardized definitions of new creatures amongst itself, that might be a good first step, but only it became standardized throughout the community.

Is anyone familiar with how DF deals with a ridiculously huge number of creatures?  Does it just stick so many of them in the world?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 20, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »

I always liked seeing an Ogre in a large world knowing that there is only 36.  ;D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 20, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »

Question for the WoT:

Toady with new raws and all do we get the chance to set things on fire? I mean on will and without firebreath, Fire-imp-remains or magma.

Also ,since i am at fire, i didnt check with the raws but do we have an "Thermal conductivity" for materials?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:27:47 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 20, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »

Wooden construction walls that caught ablaze would be nice too.  ;D

Human towns would be so much more fun.  8)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 20, 2009, 04:51:23 pm »

Aren't warthogs in there?  I just updated them, so they are in some version of the raws.

This is completely subjective of course, but I've never seen one, along with quite a few other creatures that should be present.  Warthogs, mudmen, worms, treants, satyrs, and most of the gibbons, if they show up at all, are so vanishingly rare that I've never seen an example other than in the 2D versions.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 20, 2009, 05:03:25 pm »

I've seen warthogs in the last 2D version.  That's it though.  They're brown w's.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 20, 2009, 05:10:28 pm »

This is completely subjective of course, but I've never seen one, along with quite a few other creatures that should be present.  Warthogs, mudmen, worms, treants, satyrs, and most of the gibbons, if they show up at all, are so vanishingly rare that I've never seen an example other than in the 2D versions.

Even MORE subjectively (having not played the 2d versions), I can agree on this. I've seen maybe one variety of gibbon?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 20, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »

I've never seen a warthog, satyr or mudman.  I think treants never appeared except when summoned by elf druids or something in the 2D version.  Worms are pretty easy to find in adventure mode, though, and I've seen at least two of the gibbons.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 20, 2009, 05:16:48 pm »

I've seen warthogs and quite a few gibbons. I think the real problem is that most of these species are Tropical, which is a pretty rare biome.

Most of the time I see these creatures brought in the elven caravans.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 148