Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 342829 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1425 on: January 07, 2009, 02:02:42 pm »

If it is possible to have metal creatures spew molten metal and cover dwarves. Then I think there should be a way to store molten metal, or at least channel it. This way you can make metalfalls and have pools of metal, in which with a pully system, you can dip items into the pool to coat them (or goblins. then melt the goblins >.> 4th ore baby).

Could also be a way to create cheaper metal furniture too. Make a bleh Calcite Throne, dip it in aluminum (assumingly taking 1 bar, or 1 water/magma/molten level)

Only problems I see is the metal cooling down into giant metal blocks that need to be mined out. But hey, could always take the easier way and just make it a workshop :<

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 07, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »

If it is possible to have metal creatures spew molten metal and cover dwarves. Then I think there should be a way to store molten metal, or at least channel it. This way you can make metalfalls and have pools of metal, in which with a pully system, you can dip items into the pool to coat them (or goblins. then melt the goblins >.> 4th ore baby).

Flowing liquids other than water and magma aren't likely to be in the game any time soon, due to technical constraints.  Storing molten metal in a barrel or something might work, though.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 07, 2009, 09:37:46 pm »

Could also be a way to create cheaper metal furniture too. Make a bleh Calcite Throne, dip it in aluminum (assumingly taking 1 bar, or 1 water/magma/molten level)

Only problems I see is the metal cooling down into giant metal blocks that need to be mined out. But hey, could always take the easier way and just make it a workshop :<

I see a problem: you need pretty high temperatures to liquefy metals - especially if you want them to the point where they'll flow at any kind of reasonable rate. And they'll cool very quickly once away from the source of heat. And heat doesn't transfer very well through intervening rock. So to make your river of molten gold you'll have to heat A LOT of it very very quickly so that it has enough mass to maintain its internal temperature. And the top of it would still crust over as it flowed.

Actually this should be happening with magma too. IIRC, Hawaii has places near Pele where there is "ground" but signs are posted saying it's not safe to walk on because it could crumble under your weight and dump you into the lake of fire beneath.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 07, 2009, 11:26:02 pm »

Oddly... Id think throwing liquid metal on someone would burn right through them.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 08, 2009, 12:20:43 am »

Does this mean that hydras won't die if you chop off one of their heads?

Doomduckie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 08, 2009, 02:10:55 am »

Does this mean that hydras won't die if you chop off one of their heads?

Possibly, but they'd still probably bleed to death due to the high blood loss rate unless Toady goes out of his way to make Hydra resistant to bleeding. Which is somewhat realistic for a multiheaded animal, if unsatisfying.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 08, 2009, 02:43:25 am »

Would it be possible to make hydras bleed heads then?

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 08, 2009, 02:51:48 am »

Would it be possible to make hydras bleed heads then?

Much to my misfortune, body parts will not be counted as materials, so no.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:20 am »

Neither do they regrow the heads to match the Mythical Hydra ... well not yet. We can still hope for another day and update.

Toady how will poisons work? I mean the kind of poison that for example that attacks nerves. Will it damage and destroy them leading to Paralysis? And do we get airborne Poisons?

I ask cause in certain Storys and Myths the Blood of some creatures like dragons is highly poisonous, so if you maybe get soaked in it during an fight it leads to harmfull Results. It is said too that the "stench" of an Cockatrice/Basilisk is as deadly as his direct stare.

What about the raws for poisons anyways? IIRC there was an template but how does that get extended? How get for example materials handlet that are for Dwarfs poisonous but for elves not?

And next time i have another theme i promise!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:13:21 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: January 08, 2009, 04:34:18 am »

Neither do they regrow the heads to match the Mythical Hydra ... well not yet. We can still hope for another day and update.

Course, were it to match a mythical hydra we would need cauterization implemented, or it would survive a great deal longer.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: January 08, 2009, 05:28:40 am »

Course, were it to match a mythical hydra we would need cauterization implemented, or it would survive a great deal longer.

The obvious solution is to recruit a bunch of wrestler meat-shields and have each of them latch onto a throat.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:07 am »

IIRC Toady has mentioned something about regrowing body parts a while ago, so yeah, we gonna have this feature in the future hopefully.  :)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:20 am »

Ok then the question is how fast this heads regrow, i hope instantly.

"Bored to HFS? Nothing to do? No goblins anywhere near your position? Get Instant Hydra! Just mix our intant hydra powder with hot water and it grows not 1, not 2, not 3, it grows 7 heads in under 5 Minutes! Thats atleast 3 faster as compareable Megabeast products! Buy now an get an wool-sasquatsch for free. Just call TOADY-ONE 555 Washington and get your instant Hydra set and an wool sasquatsch for 49,95* (*Water and Hot not included, Additional heads and Claws not covered by waranty)"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:00:54 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 08, 2009, 12:19:19 pm »

Beat a hydra to death with its own skull. "This doesn't seem physically possible!!"
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 08, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »

Adventurer/Paragon Class:

Create a seperate caste with beefed up stats compared to the rest of the populace and make their incidence extremely low (possibly 0)

Make sure all the verbalizations use the same text as a normal member of the race.

Then, when you select your adventurer, make sure to select a member of the adventurer class.

Profit!
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 148