Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 342826 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1410 on: January 07, 2009, 01:03:23 am »

GIANT SLOTH!!!!!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 07, 2009, 02:13:49 am »

Yeah that's gonna be fun.  :D

Toady, I have a question regarding this. I suppose blood will act like an object in the next version, or in the future. What if magma blood will hit a dwarf for example? "Realistically" [even tho it's weird to say that in this situation] it should damage the dwarf or it's armors/weapons [That should depend on the material of the armor/weapon of course].

# Req359, CONTAMINANT TEMPERATURE EFFECTS, (Future): Most importantly, metals that melt over creatures should have an effect, but the temperature of contaminants isn't currently stored.

Hopefully that one makes it in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 07, 2009, 08:49:27 am »

Will gold gas condense into molten gold?  Or scatter into gold powder?

That is an interesting question.

I know that if the Gold cools rapidly it should turn into powder... but that if it slowly cools it should turn into molten gold.

Though what compounds the problems is that because a gas is much more resistant to temperatures then liquids that it could need to have a temperature difference to condensate that would otherwise freeze it. (Rain for example starts off frozen)

Then there is the question of if the Gold will turn into a lump of molten gold or coat the walls and floor with gold.

Though Temperature is more complicated then most people think... Did you know that Ice, H2O, can and often does turn into a gas without going into a liquid state?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:47 am »

Anything that can evaporate does it. CO2 also bypasses the liquid state. And boiling water instantly freezes if flung out into a very cold air, becoming ice vapor.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 07, 2009, 09:02:46 am »

Anything that can evaporate does it

Yeah but too many people deny it does. You say that in a room of 50 people... Suddenly you have 50 people who think your moronic

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 07, 2009, 09:05:10 am »

Just point out wood.  Carbon doesn't have a liquid state, so you can burn the crap out of a log all you want, you'll never get molten wood.  Just vaporized carbon.  Of course, there's a ridiculous number of people who believe that all glass is liquid, so whatever.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 07, 2009, 09:09:28 am »

I wonder if the Giant Sloth also hints upon other Prehistoric creatures... hmmm...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:06 am »

Just point out wood.  Carbon doesn't have a liquid state, so you can burn the crap out of a log all you want, you'll never get molten wood.  Just vaporized carbon.  Of course, there's a ridiculous number of people who believe that all glass is liquid, so whatever.

Wood doesn't contain carbon dioxide or even elemental carbon.  The gas product is carbon dioxide.  Also, carbon dioxide does have a liquid phase at higher-than-atmospheric pressures.

e: in retrospect you were probably joking

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 07, 2009, 09:29:42 am »

e: in retrospect you were probably joking

Yeah, I'll go with joking...  Showoff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:40 am »

In defense of the "glass is liquid" people... it's a confusing subject.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 07, 2009, 09:43:43 am »

Carbon does have a liquid state... under sufficient pressure.
Also, many substances combust when heated in the presence of oxygen, and many compounds break down. THAT is the reason you will never get molten wood.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:09 am »

Quote from: dev log
01/06/2008: 904. I went through and did the first pass on the projectile revision. I think the new agility is being counted too much, as the skill-free test dwarf didn't have trouble hitting me ten times in a row, but I'll have that sorted out when I run the numbers. I also did wounds from falling and the transfer of wound and appearance data to corpses and severed parts. The wound transfer should be key to sorting out issues like exactly where a hydra's heads are and whether or not the skulls have been removed and so on.

Nice.  Will there be a way to actually view corpse wounds?  Will corpses be able to receive more wounds?  (yes, shameless pimping of my thread)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 07, 2009, 10:57:24 am »

One day Dwarf Fortress will be detailed enough so as to allow scientists to extrapolate the future.

Of course, the simulation would involve the DF simulation, ad infinitum, causing the computer to explode.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 07, 2009, 12:21:48 pm »

Carbon does have a liquid state... under sufficient pressure.
Also, many substances combust when heated in the presence of oxygen, and many compounds break down. THAT is the reason you will never get molten wood.

Yeah, really anything can become any of the three main phases of matter as long as it doesn't chemically react/decompose first. Carbon has an interesting phase diagram ( http://www.mathewpeet.org/images/carbon_phase_diagram.jpg ): sometimes higher pressure helps it become a liquid and sometimes it doesn't?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 07, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »

Yeah that's gonna be fun.  :D

Toady, I have a question regarding this. I suppose blood will act like an object in the next version, or in the future. What if magma blood will hit a dwarf for example? "Realistically" [even tho it's weird to say that in this situation] it should damage the dwarf or it's armors/weapons [That should depend on the material of the armor/weapon of course].

# Req359, CONTAMINANT TEMPERATURE EFFECTS, (Future): Most importantly, metals that melt over creatures should have an effect, but the temperature of contaminants isn't currently stored.

Hopefully that one makes it in.

Oh...yeah let's hope so.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 148