Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349409 times)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2008, 11:54:07 am »

Absolutely epic dev_now update today.  I'm excited all over again.  dev_now should be fun to watch again soon.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2008, 11:59:21 am »

Absolutely epic dev_now update today.

Yeah it is!
I love these long and detailed dev notes.  8)

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2008, 12:06:15 pm »

(and some new parts like teeth, claws/nails, lips, ribs, hair, etc.)

The spinning Urist McDrunk's Left Eye Tooth hits Urist McDrunk in the lower abdomen.
It explodes into gore!
Urist McDrunk has been struck down.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2008, 03:23:12 pm »

First thing to do in new version:  Punch out an elf's teeth, and then start pulling his hair.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2008, 03:47:20 pm »

First thing to do in new version:  Punch out an elf's teeth, and then start pulling his hair.

Visualization of an upcoming DF feature:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:51:10 pm by Tormy »

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2008, 03:48:08 pm »

That's a 404, Tormy.
fox has become enraged!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2008, 03:51:52 pm »

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:41 pm »

Sweet looking stuff up there today with the rewrite of some of the creature bodies and damage code.  I was wondering, Toady, if you would be able to address the "MIRV Crossbow Bolts" oddity that crops up on particular crits.  You know, when a bolt seems to go in an eye, break a neck, purée a lung and come out the left knee. 

It's hilarious, but it contributes to some of the range/melee balance issues, because there's always a chance that every arrow will annihilate five major organs and snap off a toe.  I was wondering if the new body/tissue layouts would have an effect on crits and organ damage?

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2008, 07:02:14 pm »

Regarding scratches, will multiple scratches in the same area slowly open up wounds or start to cause pain? I'm envisioning a giant being swarmed by rats or piranhas or something here, and it would make some of the lamer cave monsters more interesting if you saw one and suddenly had to worry if there were enough around to swarm you.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2008, 07:10:07 pm »

Sweet looking stuff up there today with the rewrite of some of the creature bodies and damage code.  I was wondering, Toady, if you would be able to address the "MIRV Crossbow Bolts" oddity that crops up on particular crits.  You know, when a bolt seems to go in an eye, break a neck, purée a lung and come out the left knee. 

It's hilarious, but it contributes to some of the range/melee balance issues, because there's always a chance that every arrow will annihilate five major organs and snap off a toe.  I was wondering if the new body/tissue layouts would have an effect on crits and organ damage?
It's not that crazy, it's just the way damage is dealt that needs to be changed somehow.  A bolt can hit anything in a given larger bodypart, for instance heart liver and both lungs if the bolt hits the upper body.  It's fun, but probably wouldn't be missed.

Quote from: Devlog
As a result of tissue layering, the 15 HP per BP system is being more or less dropped to make way for individual wound tracking. Unless you look at the specific descriptions, you'll still have wounded BP lists and so on displayed in pretty much the same way, though. Aside from having more accurate combat text (though I'm not sure if that's coming with this push) and the scars/improved healing/pain management that come from wound tracking, it also means that smaller creatures will be able to cause very slight wounds to large creatures in many cases where they'd do nothing before. A 1 out of 15 guaranteed BP HP drop is too large in many cases (thus the current no-damage chances), but adding a scratch to the skin tissue doesn't have to count for so much. So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

That is just awesome, and finally a real understanding of how damage currently works (and of course soon to be rendered irrelevant).  Man, I can't wait to crack open raws with tissues and proper phenotyping.  One of my favorite forum quotes-
As soon as you realize where the tags are and what they do it's a short, bloody trip from Dwarf Fortress: Slaves to Armok to Dwarf Scientist: That which Armok did not intend
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2008, 07:23:45 am »

I want to tear out someone's rib and stab them in the hair with it.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2008, 08:58:52 am »

Or do it the other way around.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2008, 11:12:43 am »

Or do it the other way around.

This sounds like a good idea for an action sequence in Halloween part X.  ;D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

The latest dev notes are just plain awesome:

Squads would be associated to their entity position rather than their commander's position, so if the commander goes off and does something they'd still generally be mindful of their orders

Ah, finally, I think many of us were waiting for this one. It was annoying when the dwarves were following the commander all over the fortress.  8)

I'll also be messing with the barracks (probably splitting sleeping/sparring functions and doing squad assignments) and training. The new body system might be enough to get rid of enough of the permanent nerve damage during high-level sparring (as there'd be bones to protect sensitive tissues), and I'll probably put in commander-guided sparring for low-skill dwarves (with a few associated skills for that, and perhaps some well-defined stages for that). I'll also include some personality effects that'll lower problems for dwarves that have a touch of caution. Rather than capping weapon skills for training dwarves, there will likely be a few new skills and other bits of knowledge that are more readily learned during actual combat, though a commander with those skills and the ability to teach will probably be able to pass many of those along in part.

Injuries related to sparring will be balanced!..and also commander guided sparring for newbie dwarves..epic, absolutely epic!  :)

Toady, I would like to mention something, what is related to the Army Arc. I've suggested this a while ago:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23784.0

It would be nice to have a more detailed equipping system for the military dwarves. Personally I would like to equip my soldiers with a specific gear most of the time. It's very hard -and takes a lot of time- to equip the dwarves with the proper gear now. [Lock them into a room with the items, and let them pick those up] It's just annoying when there's a quality axe available, but the dwarf decides to pick up the worst one, since its totally random right now. [..not to mention that sometime a newbie dwarf is picking up the best weapon, now that is also annoying.]

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2008, 03:30:52 pm »

I'm just going to quote something posted on another forum.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT FORMATIONS + SPARRING FIXES FUCK YEAR

FUCK YES SPARRERS NOT BECOMING VEGETATIVE MAYBE.

That about sums up my thoughts about the current devblog. Nothing else to add.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 148