Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New "Find Site" Search  (Read 974 times)

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New "Find Site" Search
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:16:41 am »

One of the new things in 39d is the option to do a search for a site. It has a few interesting options, though it's limited in finding things that are there.

There are some things I don't understand, though.

The search parameters are x dimension and y dimension, Savagery, Evil, Elevation, Temperature, Rain, Drainage, Flux Stone, Aquifer, River, and Magma Pipe.

It's obvious to me why you'd want to search for a Magma Pipe or Flux Stone, or avoid an Aquifer, but some of the others I don't understand.

Why would you want a particular elevation? Isn't cliff size more useful/important? And what about Rain and Drainage, what good are those?

I'm kinda curious if the River search only searches for 'rivers' or if it also does brooks and streams?
- Relee the Squirrel --

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New "Find Site" Search
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:33:49 am »

it does count brooks.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:40:12 am »

Rain and drainage help you distinguish between a jungle and a desert, though in terms of useability it may be better to grade the search on total humidity instead.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:11:22 pm »

Quick Question:
If I do a a general search, there is more than likely multiple results, how do I see the other results? Is there something I'm missing, or does it only show one result per search?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »

Quick Question:
If I do a a general search, there is more than likely multiple results, how do I see the other results? Is there something I'm missing, or does it only show one result per search?

As far as I can tell, it scours the whole map and decides which single result is "best" given your criteria.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32:59 pm »

Sorry, not so. Try moving the 'X' cursors to a new and quite distant locale on the world map and it WILL get a different result, if one exists nearby. I too am hoping someone can give better clarity on how to

a) get other matches
b) search the whole map (pretty sure it doesn't)