Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your health  (Read 5473 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Your health
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:02:49 am »

I just got my cholesterol and blood pressure tests done today (on a whim) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I'm as healthy as an athlete. I think I'll give my parents a call to brag about how even though I eat the most greasy, oily stuff in the world daily, my health stats are still aye okay. I've got those parents that like to nag me to eat properly.

My cholesterol is 4.01mmol/L and my blood pressure is 100/81. My pulse is also 62 beats/min.

I'll go get a blood test done too, just for kicks.

Any of you know your physical health status? I wonder what the cholesterol and blood pressure levels of a dwarf is...

p.s: Any of you donate blood? What's it like?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Your health
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:19:50 am »

I can walk on my own, and I breathe without interruption. I'm health as a human needs to be.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:32:45 am »

I'm within the healthy weight range for my height (I may actually have dropped off the back end of it since my India trip though...  Haven't checked), and I generally avoid doctors.  The last time I got really sick was directly after getting my immunizations before heading off, before that I hadn't had so much as a cold for years.  A month or so into the India trip I got some stomach trouble which lasted a few days, and after that I've been clean.

Also, a long time ago I used to work out at a semi-local gym.  During that period, I managed to get my heart rate up to 200.   After a quick self-check, I am apparently currently running at ~75 BPM.

I haven't the faintest idea what my blood pressure is.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:40:36 am »

I get sick all the time unfortunately. It's curiously linked to whenever I'm bored for a long period of time. I think my mind subconsciously makes me sick whenever I get bored for more than 24 hours. The moment something interesting happens, *poof* where did the cold go?

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:41:17 am »

I can walk on my own, and I breathe without interruption. I'm health as a human needs to be these days.

Fizz-ixed.

As for me, I can engage in strenous activity for about half an hour, at max, without ill effect lasting for more than an additional half an hour. The most dangerous health condition I have is a mild hayfever. In fact, that's the only ailment I suffer from with any regularity.

I also have no abdominal muscles.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:52:17 am »

I haven't been to a doctor since I was twelve, so I have no idea what my actual health is like, but I've got my stats.

I'm 21 years old, 5'10" and about 130lbs, and very lanky.  I've got a friend who's into carb stuff (apparently it works, he's lost about a hundred pounds in the past year) who says my all-junk-and-fast-food diet should send me into diabetic shock, though I do get one good home meal a day.  I've never been athletic or worked out - I had one day of weightlifting in high-school and nearly got crushed by the bar.  I've always done a lot of walking though.  A little while ago I started a really physical job, and I'm getting more regular excercise than ever.  I start getting tired after about an hour, but can maintain a slower, steady pace almost indefinately.

If anybody knows what kind of health situation that adds up to, feel free to chastise me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:29:38 am »

I actually gave blood for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Really easy.  There's a form to fill out to ensure you're not a particular health risk.  They process that ask about the details, and once they're happy with your answers they prick your fingertip- almost painless- so they can test a drop of your blood (it goes in a test tube full of copper sulphate to make sure your haemoglobin levels are fine- a precaution to make sure you'll be okay).  If that's successful, you lay down, a nurse will constrict your arm a bit to make your vein stand out, and get started.  They offer local anasethetic if asked, but it's not standard.  I suggest relaxing and not looking at the needle until it's in- it looks bigger than it feels.  I experienced surprisingly little pain; once it's in, all you have to is bleed for ten minutes or so and then take a few more minutes to recover.  The most unnerving part of the whole procedure was sitting up and having two nurses look at me like I might collapse any second.  Then you get a drink and something to eat.  Extremely easy- I'm definitely doing that again.
Plus I now know I'm O+.

Of course, everyone is different, and the procedures are on the NHS so your mileage may vary.  But for me it definitely beat an uninterrupted afternoon at work.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:29:36 am »

Hmm, well I'll be getting a look over for a government survey me and my mum are taking part in, basically we have to write down all the foods we have this weekend 12am friday through to 12pm monday. Oh joys. Im 18, i know i'm like 5 foot 6 i think, and im about 140 pounds. I'd say i was overweight, not by much but still overweight. but i can walk and run for extended periods of times. And cycle up hills for 2 hours at one time. And yeah Mcdoom, i've given blood. Its a very satisfying experiance and i really need to go do it again, but i fear as last time i got a really dizzy head (i forgot to have food and drink before i went) so it might be me subconciously scared of going. But on the plus you do get free orange juice and chocolate biscuits ;D

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:32:12 am by Nilocy »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:43:46 am »

I'm 17, 18 in two days, weigh about 160ish, 6'3" and like Torak, I'm still alive, and I've lived the same way for like 14 years, so I must be doing something right, even though, without meat or grain-food-things, my protein intake per day must be like 2 or something.
Shoes...

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:28:50 am »

5'9, 240 pounds. I am overweight but it's primarily genetic. I weighed a little over 300 in high school (10 years ago) and managed to drop down to 220 afterwards with regular excercise, a more careful diet and by taking jobs that involve a lot of heavy lifting. I plateau'd at 220 pounds even with a 5 day a week, 45 minute workout, an 8-10 hour/day job hauling building materials and a strict diet.

I've slackened my health habits a bit but have made every attempt to at least remain where I am. I still work out 25 minutes, 3 days a week and try to go out for 3-4 mile walks whenever I can. I rarely have butter or margerine on anything now, hardly use salt and no longer eat beef. I generally limit my beer or soda intake to 1 bottle/can (each) per week. Then again I likely drink way more coffee than any sane person should.

My blood pressure gets to the high side of average at its lowest. Family history shows a lot of heart disease.

Basically I'm not perfectly healthy but I do try.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:06:53 pm »

I'm 5'11'', 160 pounds, with a blood pressure of 130/70 or something. My pulse rate is 45 or so. Once in a doctors office, I was hooked up to a device that measured my vitals, and when I started to try to calm myself down, I ended up having the machine give an alert for having a low beats-per-minute (under 40). That was fun.

I go to two hours of martial arts practice three times a week, and jog about 3 miles once around every other week.

Yep.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »

[post]

Yeez, can't believe I'm doing this, but...

Have you tried a rice-based diet?  If you eat food that is primarily a bulk amount of rice, weightloss will come by itself.  In a remarkably speedy fashion.

Now, I don't know how the Indians do it, so I can't really recommend anything in that exceptionally tasty spectrum of foods, but I can recommend something else.

Brown rice, with some sort of fish (canned tuna works just fine), with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil for seasoning.  Maybe some sesame seeds if you feel like adding it.

It's filling, it tastes pretty good, and you can stuff yourself with it with no ill side effects (at least after a while.  Most radical diet changes will have ill effects of some sort or another at first).  It's also relatively cheap (you can buy bulk brown rice for a pittance), and would even fall into that despised group of "health foods",

I have absolutely no scientific research to back this up, no experts expressing similar views in well-written articles, nothing except the words of a few people who tried it and almost got scared at how quickly they were losing weight.

I figure, it's worth a try.  Try having rice-based meals for about a week or so, and see if it has any effect.  But, remember to only eat it if you actually like it.

If it works and you find a few rice dishes you happen to like, you've got the perfect diet.  Eat as much as you can stand, and lose weight.

In India (like I said, I don't know how they do it.  Don't take this as "proof of results", since it's something entirely different), they use mass amounts of oil, ghee, and deep-fried foods.  When I went there with my folks, I ate mountains of the stuff.  All sorts of exotic food that was packed so full of flavor you wonder how they managed to fit it all in there.  When I got back after a four month trip of gorging myself to the brim, I found that I had dropped thirty pounds.

I didn't have thirty pounds to lose.  I went from 166 to 136, clinically underweight for my height (6'2").  My ribs were showing.  It looked like I'd been starved instead of stuffed.

So, yeah....  Rice.  Miracles upon miracles.  And please excuse me for the blatant advertisement and will-imposing in this post...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:03 pm »

Yeah, rural Asia has a super-low rate of heart disease and obesity because they eat so much rice.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 03:23:27 pm »

Kagus: I don't think it's only rice... Extreme heat, for example. All-vegetarian diets as well. Hard labour. Sweating. Non-fatty meats. spicy foods leading to detox.

I've also read some research papers on how if you introduce a completely different diet to your body, it will be temporarily "shocked" and be unable to digest properly, which might attribute to your sudden weight-loss.

Though, I'm with the camp laughing at the silly white folk. Eating rice like cereal. Hehehe...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:29 pm »

I'm going to eat only rice from now on. Weight lifting and all sorts of useless exercise does nothing, we'll see if rice does.

And man, I love me some fried rice with eggs in it.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3