Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reading history: more fun than playing?  (Read 1198 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reading history: more fun than playing?
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:05 pm »

I wonder how long I'll still be amused by sending out the occasional adventurer to get her head impaled on a spear by the kobolds (after one of their guards blew out both my lungs and the heart, then shot me in the head just to make sure), and then reading about that event and everything else that happened to the dwarves I ran into at the goblin tower.

One thing, though: I kind of feel bad for the poor kobold bloke whose wife and only son I killed for no good reason.

Angellus

Re: Reading history: more fun than playing?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:49:38 am »

One thing, though: I kind of feel bad for the poor kobold bloke whose wife and only son I killed for no good reason.
Dont worry, they do more to you then you to them :)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:42:49 am »

It's getting to the point where the worlds history is reallyyy interesting.  I can't wait to start effecting it more, and being involved in big things.  Wars, etc.  It's going to be awesome.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:09 am »

Once the Legends screen is sort of 'cleaned up', with clickable names and such, it'll be even more interesting. Some goblin keep killing you? Go into legends, find his parents/children, track them down to their homes, and brutally murder them.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:08:22 pm »

Once the Legends screen is sort of 'cleaned up', with clickable names and such, it'll be even more interesting. Some goblin keep killing you? Go into legends, find his parents/children, track them down to their homes, and brutally murder them.

Be even better if he started tantruming and went on a bloody rampage.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:21:47 pm »

Dont worry, they do more to you then you to them :)

I can't exactly *blame* them for putting my head on a spike after what I did to them.  My next adventurer got revenge, though, despite an arrow sticking out of his big toe.  Then he somehow managed to gouge out both the elite bowkoblin's eyes despite being shot thrice more (and still having that arrow in his toe).

But that got boring so I retired, genned a new world, and read its history.  Giant rampages!  Bronze colossi getting shot dead by elves!  Dragons attacking a village, and the outcome being that the entire village started worshipping them (and a cow was snarfed)!

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:16:56 pm »

When Dwarf Fortress is finished, (and the Legends writing style is a bit improved ) someone should copy and paste a world history into MS_word, and then email it to a publishing company as a new novel.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:27:29 pm »

Actually, that isn't too bad an idea. I wonder how Toady would feel if someone wrote a novel about a dwarf fortress world. That would be some awesome publicity...
It would be nice to hear Toady's take on someone actually taking his game and writing novels out of it.....
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:56:11 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is the fantasy version of "10,000 monkeys"

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:18:19 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is the fantasy version of "10,000 monkeys"

Not really.  I've actually done the math, and even with some generous assumptions it's extremely unlikely that the monkeys would come up with Shakespeare even if given the entire lifetime of the universe; Dwarf Fortress has much more story-writing potential than 10,000 billions-of-years-old simians with typewriters.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:17 am »

That particular theory presumes the monkeys are typing random letters. Therefore, a system that is specifically aiming to create history will inevitably come up with history, and that history may or may not contain great stories worthy of a novel, with much higher chance of success than any purely random system.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 12:41:36 pm »

I can't wait to start effecting it more, ...
You mean destroying it more? :D You can't build a monument/save a life (well, except children prisoners which are safe anyway) to get there.
Note how bad DF is to our children. Do you want a place in the history? Go kill someone! ;D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 01:04:13 pm »

Or even beter, get abducted! be like Iki Tiredtwilights, the male Elf born in 1, abducted in 3 by the goblins of Strengthspider, then again in 4 by the goblins of Peakedincests.

...Then again in 5 by the goblins of Strengthspider. And again in 6, back to Peakedincests.

Thankfully, by now he was too old to be snatched, so he grew up in Peakedincests, killed a rival goblin, murdered two of his own(one of which was actually a dwarf), and killed some random dwarf. Still alive, too.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*