Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The name "Dwarf Fortress"  (Read 1990 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
The name "Dwarf Fortress"
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

What's in a name?

The name is literal at the moment, since all we can control are dwarves in the unmodded version. However, future plans (correct me if I'm wrong) give the opportunity to control other civs.

I wonder if any newbies will be confused and wonder why they can control humans in "Dwarf Fortress". Perhaps we should call it "Fantasy Fortress" instead. xD

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The name "Dwarf Fortress"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:45:00 pm »

quote:
Fantasy Fortress

Eww.  No, too reminiscent of Fantasy Football, etc.

Besides, the other half of the title is also flawed: Adventure Mode has almost nothing to do with fortresses.

Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

I'm reasonably confident that Dwarf Fortress is heading towards creating a gameplay singularity whereupon it shall only be referred to as 'the game'. Those of us immune to its effects will form a band of happy-go-lucky freedom fighters, being hunted down one by one by our new Dwarven overlords, hovering omnipresent overhead in giant +Cat Leather Zeppelins+.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:17:00 am »

Huh, I don't know. If it ever got so large and dynamic that "Dwarf Fortress" didn't fit, "Slaves to Armok II" works pretty well. It isn't very assuming as to what genre the game is entirely.

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Thanks, Dasleah.  I just lost the game.
[i do not regret]

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

In case it wasn't clear, the OP was half-serious. I hate the name "Fantasy Fortress" too, but thought it would be funny.  :)
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

It's kind of weird... with all of the world legend-building that Toady has been working on, it almost seems to be a game that can increasingly play itself. If he could somehow program the AI to build functional fortresses, complete with workshops, traps, fortifications, and so on... then we won't be necessary anymore. The game will have transcended its players.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

It has already transcended us. Right now it can run worlds that survive over 1000 years. We are it's inferior, going in and ruining what it has taken 1050 years to create. Toady is forcing it to make more mistakes (ie: lose less people to old age, and more to wars) so that we won't feel as bad going in, and doing our thing.

We're monsters.  :(

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>Huh, I don't know. If it ever got so large and dynamic that "Dwarf Fortress" didn't fit, "Slaves to Armok II" works pretty well. It isn't very assuming as to what genre the game is entirely.</STRONG>

Then people would ask, "wuts salves to armok 1?"  Like I did.

"Dwarf Fortress" seems just fine to me, most game's names have little to do with the literal content anyway.  What I'm waiting for is a box that has to generate random subtitles for "Tales of [Cupidity] and [Gluttony]".

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

Actually the name's "Slaves to Armok, God of blood. Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress" In this case, "Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress" is the sub-title, so the complete game would just be called "Slaves to Armok, God of blood."

Or, expanding on the theme, "Slaves to Armok, God of blood. Final Chapter: A World in Flames."

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Actually the name's "Slaves to Armok, God of blood. Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress" In this case, "Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress" is the sub-title, so the complete game would just be called "Slaves to Armok, God of blood."

Or, expanding on the theme, "Slaves to Armok, God of blood. Final Chapter: A World in Flames."</STRONG>

Quoted For Truth.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Or, expanding on the theme, "Slaves to Armok, God of blood. Final Chapter: A World in Flames."</STRONG>

That's still way too unwieldy. Just cutting it to World in Flames isn't that bad, but it's not a very good title in and of itself.

I'd stick with just Dwarf Fortress even once the game has been expanded unless I could think of something much better.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

Dwarf Fortress >>>>>>>> Fantasy Fortress.

It started with dwarves and it will end with dwarves.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

It will always be "Dwarfort.exe" for me.
EDIT: It's Dwarf ORT [Ongoing Reliability Test].

P.S. Or "Object recognition task" - if you recognize ASCII bad.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

How many game titles include the word "slave"? And "Armok" is pretty much guaranteed to be unique to the game.

Worth thing would be to name it something generic like "World of Flames" or something.

Plus I think the system requirements should list things like +Monitor+ and ≡Graphics Card≡.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: [1] 2 3