Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding crafts and making the game more difficult  (Read 816 times)

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding crafts and making the game more difficult
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:55 pm »

TL;DR: How do i mod crafts to be less expensive, so you cant buy out a whole caravan with a few trinkets?

I find DF a bit too easy, especially early on. I tend to get bored before i hit the goblin siege/noble demands stages and want to start a new fortress, but the difficulty during these early phases is far too low.

Specifically, food is dead easy to get. Farming just isnt the same when you dont have the threat of perma-flooding your fortress with irrigation every year.

I thought id edit the plant files to increase the grow durations a LOT and put the clustersize down. This should require more farming area, more effort, and also more storage area (because smaller clusters take more space).

Im also going to edit out do-it-all plants like plump helmets, and make almost everything worth growing require a lot of processing (The edible_raw plants will take ages and ages to grow and have a clustersize of 1, so that they're not very effecient), so that the best plant to make alcohol from is only good to make alcohol from, etc, though there would be more versatile but less productive plants too.

I suspect this will work relatively well, but there are several other issues, namely fishing and hunting. They require a bit more effort than farming but they still might be a little bit easy. Is there any way to make them harder? It doesnt appear as if i can make creatures produce less meat without making all creatures smaller.

Finally, my real problem is trade caravans. You honestly dont even need to produce your own food, you can prettymuch survive just by selling stone trinkets for food. I cant find an entry for crafts, only instruments and toys, and they dont even have a 'value' tag (Though i suppose i could add one? Whats the default, would it be 1 anyway?).

I suppose i could make most food much more expensive, but then you'll get the reverse problem of buying out caravans using roasts (which at least makes food scarce, but still).

Any other ideas on how to increase the games difficulty through modding?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:34:44 pm by Saktoth »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Modding crafts and making the game more difficult
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:26:05 am »

I've been trying similar things for a while. I always mod plants to have higher grow times and sometimes.

As far as I've been able to tell, modding the value of things like crafts and meals just isn't possible. Food is especially broken value-wise, you can cook up a big roast and buy out an entire caravan of precious gemstones from the dwarves.

The thing that pumps the value up is the multipliers, a no quality stone craft isn't worth much, but when it's masterwork and made of a higher value material the multipliers can really add up. This is why cooking is so crazy with a skilled cook- you can make a stack of 50 items with a massive value multiplier by using things like syrup on top of the quality multipliers from the skilled cook and get roasts to buy out a human caravan.

If we could only change the quality multiplier for value...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Modding crafts and making the game more difficult
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:10:45 pm »

you could mod stones to weight alot more (I think) which would make stone crafts weight a ton and so you could only trade a few of them. Not a very elegant solution but it's the only thing I can think of.

Or you could just not do whatever you think makes it too easy. For example, I just don't farm at all anymore ever no matter what - you can survive off the caravans and if need be herbalism, it really puts the danger back into sieges too and makes a water source and raising animals actually somewhat useful just in case you get stuck inside for too long and miss a caravan or 2.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!