Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95

Author Topic: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game  (Read 211835 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game
« Reply #1125 on: September 11, 2009, 11:02:03 pm »

Well - I just start work on everything, try to get these things happening, before suddenly, a bloody horde of goblins come a-sieging! What the hell!? Can't they see the amazing array of ballistas? I sure can! So, I'm hoping that there's some siege operators around the place, and I ask em to man the ballistae. Let's see how the goblins fare - that'll teach them to get in the way of my monster project!

--- Fifty Five Idlers!? My arse fifty-five Idlers. I'm going to order them to dump ALL OF THE FELSITE IN THE FORTRESS!

Yeah... now there's only thirty-eight. I tremble with satisfaction.

Death Tole for the Siege so far:

Besmar Ostarablel, Child
Olon Etagezum, Miner

*Yeah, I'm just going to modify this post until my season finishes, to save threadspace.*

Anyway, the champions all went hooting out to play with the goblins that were left. They died quickly. So now I can get back to work! Stop dumping the felsite! Start building things!

Also, A siege Operator died of starvation today. I didn't know why, figured he was morose or something. Until I saw THIS!

I don't know what hellish crime they were being forced to attone for, but i decided to save them anyway. We NEED a legendary glassmaker!

Well... Glassmaker died anyway. Seems that people like suddenly refusing to do tasks for no discernable reason whatsoever.

An engraver has been seriously injured by a cave-in from the excavating process... Looks like it'll have to be suspended until I learn better the ways of architecture.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:49:59 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 12, 2009, 01:36:44 am »

Quote from: Tack
EDIT: Question: How does one channel out humongous areas using ramps? Preferably without collapses and killings. I know that using ramps is what is *meant* to be done... just how?

Digging ramps is like inverse channeling: It digs out the tile above it instead of the one below.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 12, 2009, 01:45:05 am »

Ok - except people can still move around over it. Question: How does it cause cave-ins? And how do I stop cave-ins?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 12, 2009, 01:58:39 am »

SUMMER

Oh... summer already. Wow.

I've decided to turn to a slightly smaller - scale megaproject. Obviously my idea for the *gigantic statue of armok rising half out of the earth and giving the middle finger to incoming traders* Might be a leeeetle too large scale for me to do. It seems I may have lapsed into the common mistakes of RULRs, underestimation. Or possibly letting power get to their heads.So I've decided to level the entire mountain! Kidding. I'm not that hypo... hypi... hippocritcal.

But anyway, in that case - I've decided to make the roads more safe and asthetically pleasing! That must be the only thing left wrong with this fortress. *Note to self - level entire mountain*

Oh noes. A miner and woodworker have fallen into the water... due to a cave in... Due to me trying to make them build a wall... connected to only a bridge... over water. I remember mentioning my architectural skill?

I sent "orange" to go dig them a ramp. They'll be fine.

The woodworker died... I honestly didn't forsee that.

But, on a happier note... The miner seems to have gotten out. And the fact that the woodworker is in water, means that we don't have to recover the body and bury him! The water might even mask the Miasma!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Orange... You wouldn't happen to know why there's a goblin bowman in a cage, and a lot of equipment on fire??

And caravans have arrived. But who cares about that.

I'd better post some pictures of my constructions soon.

Literally two seconds later... besieged. Crap
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Well - We got caravans arriving. Humans, too. I'd better go trade with them.

*Hastily Scribbled*
A siege! Exciting! Gotta Go!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Now to keep you in suspense for a bit.
///////////////////////////////////////////
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just for lulz. (C) for me. Use however you wish. (note to all of those who think that this should be in a different thread... You are perfectly justified). Damn

Now, sorry. But I has to do assignmenting. Post later today, hopefully.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:42:11 am by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 12, 2009, 03:57:08 am »

Well... The siege was a little underwhelming. The goblins arrived, and there was two goblin hammerers closest to the place, so i figured I could just send my wrestlers to go at them. One went to bed, while the other got killed. Whatever.

After that I just used the almighty champion squad to kill everything.

Also... I've made a startling discovery. The giant... tomby thingy... It won't do. It's a danger to security, and can be used by thieves to breach the fortress. Something needs to be done about it. I'm going to turn it into a complex. All for the sake of security.

The wierdest thing happened today. I had just drawn up the plans, and was showing it to the masons, when in comes an axedwarf... with a huge chin. He walks in, flanked by his six champions, looks at the plans, gives a muffled grunt, and leaves. Note to self. Do not harm the tomb.

EDIT: I'm making the walls out of andesite, and floors out of gabbro block. Does anyone have anything they'd prefer to that?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 04:05:53 am by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 12, 2009, 04:49:31 am »

Well... I've finished my work on the main road - so here we go.

Now I'm just going to do the east road, and the road to the tomb. The huge floored area to the west... I don't know what is, so I'll leave it. (a problem is, I only got up to page 3 before taking over this fortress. I honestly don't know what this is.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:37:53 am by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 12, 2009, 05:39:26 am »

AUTUMN (and not a single reply...)

Wow... Autumn already. Well, guessing by the amount of things I've managed to destroy so far, it isn't that bad. Maybe I can hand this thing on before long... I've still got my RULR sticker. I can use it if need be, and pin the problem on someone else... literally.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 12, 2009, 06:00:59 am »

Replying just to prove I'm following this courageous effort.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 12, 2009, 06:13:19 am »

w00.

Anyway
//////////////////////////////////////

I've ordered the woodcutters to clear the entire forest north of the fortress. That'll teach it to get in the way of the monuments. HA. Nature stands nothing against dwarven skill!

And some elves, and dwarven caravans arrive on que.

But anyway, the elves arrive - and ask me to cap the amount of trees i'm felling. I've already felled them all, so I agreed.
However. If they start asking for less than one hundred... They die. It's only fair, right?

Here's a picture of how the complex is coming along...

I know, the tomb looks a little undershadowed behind it, but I don't have the time or guts to make a gigantic pyramid.

125... I'm actually dissappointed. Oh well... A coinflip is a coinflip, i guess.

Well, the elf went away, with a parting remark about me embracing trees as we do the rock and mud. As If! Trees don't have a bloody soul! I mean, At least rocks let us work them and carve out of them. What a toff. At least he has a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:21:59 am by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 12, 2009, 07:55:33 am »

WINTER

So far, I haven't touched the food, crafting, or smithing areas of fortressholding at all. In fact, I've only been doing megaprojects at all, and letting my metalsmiths and things be jailed. I don't need them. Where am I meant to get bronze from anyway?

But I've picked out a person. I'll pin the RULRship on them, and go back to being the bum I should have been from the start. I just hope I finish my complex by then. I've only got a 1 day opening, at the end of winter when they go for their yearly bath.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #1135 on: September 12, 2009, 12:12:08 pm »

Very good!
I love your roads dude.

I'm sorry, I just got online for a looksee.
I have no idea about the burning. (thought I also noticed it)
It was there before I started I'm pretty sure.

The moat island is completely accessible via ramps.
They seem to go there of their own free will.
Whatever I tried, they would not get rid of any of the ramps.

Whatever the strangeiosity, keep up the good work.
I envy your speed.
FPS??
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 12, 2009, 12:37:45 pm »

The moat island is completely accessible via ramps.
They seem to go there of their own free will.
Whatever I tried, they would not get rid of any of the ramps.

The ramps lead to the water, so the dwarves will only traverse them to get out. 

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #1137 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39:57 pm »

Oh...

Oops.
I'm guessing that a bridge is/was necessary to rescue them then?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 12, 2009, 03:54:14 pm »

Or a floor.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 12, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »

I built a floor, after some dwarves went there to get the bodies. But anyway, last post! (and my fps was hitting around 12 to 16 for the entire thing)

Well... Nothing doing really. Another siege... over really quickly. Suspended construction on the complex to build me a tomb. I built it out of IRON. Iron is the new. People don’t want expense. They want RARITY. Which is why I built mine out of iron. I mean... I am just a hobo.

And back to the tomb complex.
Almost done – Yeah, that’s all I was really planning for it.
I had to move two statues, so that my dwarves had access. I did it very... very subtly and quietly. Hopefully nobody...  Aquizzar... won’t notice.

Well... I’m done. I’ve managed to create a wall around the tomb,
some road walls, and a crossroad house, and finally, A stone dump and stonemasons area for Coloured Blocks.
Also, just in case the happy creator wants a look at the (old) tower, I made a sketch.
Now just to take care of my final order of business...

Ok. I’m freaking out! You see – I replaced his bathwater with rum, hoping that he’d absorb enough alcohol through his skin to get him hopelessly drunk, instead of the normal state of slightly drunk. I swear I didn’t know he liked candles in the bath! Who the hell does that anyway?
But anyway, the resulting explosion knocked him through the wall... and the next. All I really had to do was put the RULR tag on his body, and make sure that nobody picked up any of his !!clothes!!. Can’t trust dwarves nowdays. But now... it’s time for me to get the hell out of here. I was never suited to rule anything but a happy household, and was never suited to be master of anything but hauling. I’m a good hauler.
(crappy lead off, but it was the only thing I could think of that ties off nicely, and allows for the next person to make their own entry idea)

Anyway, I trust one o’ yas to finish my floor at least for me, in the tomb complex that is.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95