Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Game: The Poster  (Read 19332 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Game: The Poster
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 12:39:06 am »

I don't think anyone's said cave-in yet...

Also, FPS:5

Angellus

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 12:48:48 am »

(3+ dogs or cats) Tribble Syndrome / Breeding / ?
(Dragon) Lizards
(Computer) Version
I'm for a whole heap of cats, all looking over one cat's back, maybe a dwarf running away, this to symbolise the leaving of an fort once it has been taken over by the feline rulers ^^

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 02:19:48 am »

I think the megabeasts could be split up-
Dragon head breathing fire - "Dragons"
Big fist hitting the ground with feet stick out - "Colossi"
Dwarf wrestling two serpent heads - "Hydras"
Snarling cyclops face - "Cyclopes"
Skeletal giant punting a dwarf - "Undead Giants"

Other ideas-
Calmly burning dwarf - "Fire"
Miner falling - "Mistakes"
Turtle shell with a 'no' emblem - "Moods"
Lines of error log code - "Bugs"
Dwarf eating roaches - "Starvation"
That question mark with a tentacle, claw, and flames - "Greed"
Severed hand gripping a lever - "Nobles"
Dwarf head being crushed by a hammer - "Justice"
Dining table floating in water - "Inattention"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 03:32:21 am »

My brother and I talked about this a bit today, and it doesn't come down to a blanket objection to merchandising, but this is the internet, and when people drop by and say that they'll turn what you've been doing for years into money that they'll then give back to you, you have to be a little suspicious.  Now, I know who Derek is, so that's not a problem here, and it seems like a lot of you are interested in stuff like this (and I've received more than a handful of emails expressing similar interests, mostly in shirts, several just in the past three or four days).

As far as the business end of it goes, I've been approached by people in the past over shirt production/sales and so on, and I've turned them down for a variety of reasons which have been fluid with time.  Now, with this sort of setup, I'm willing to give it a try, if you'd like, since there continues to be some enthusiasm.  It's important to me that the process be somewhat transparent and that I have a bit of trust in the people using the game to generate money.  I mean, I recognize that you're offering to do me a favor through your own expertise and time with zero effort on my part, and that's awesome, but I hope you can understand where I'm coming from as well.  In any case, as far as I'm concerned, this specific instance is cool at this point as a test of this process and we can go from there.  If others come up from now on, I'll consider those case-by-case as well.

At the end of the day, I think it's cool for people to be able to get the stuff they want to decorate their homes and themselves, I'm just somewhat cautious about this sort of thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 04:23:24 am »

This idea is made of ¤Awesome¤

I'd buy one or three.  Shirts, flags, posters, tapestries...whatever.

Don't forget to put a dwarf with a ? over his head standing next to a newly built wall!  "Urist StupidHead Encased in Stone."

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 05:51:17 am »

Another way to die (if it hasn't been mentioned):

a sock

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 07:02:54 am »

"New Versions" - A bunch of dwarves asleep.
"Clothing" - adventurer beating up a human with a random item of clothing.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 10:08:23 am »

The most iconic deaths I can think of in Dwarf Fortress are the following:

Elephants (exactly as you have it)
Carp (swimming with greatly exaggerated fangs)
Unicorns (grazing peacefully with a dwarf-skull stuck on its horn)
Demons/Too deep (like the opening movie, a dwarven miner breaking a hole in the wall, possibly facing many pairs of eyes looking back)
Accidental flooding of water (dwarfs sitting and eating as a jet of water fires up out of a well)
Accidental flooding of magma (magma melting through a door and a pair of dwarves considering the situation)
Soldier unions that allow them to go on break, sleep, eat, and drink during their watch (two armored dwarfs playing chess as goblins pour into the room)
Looting the dead (a single sock surrounded by a ring of bodies/skeletons that all died in the position of reaching for the sock)
Cave river flooding (a dwarf merrily crossing a bridge with a huge wall of water coming at him)
Things crawling up from wells (tentacles, claws, hands gripping weapons all reaching out of a well)
Flash freezes (a dwarf looking down in alarm as his lower body freezes into the river he was climbing out of)
Winter famine (not sure how to represent this)
Cave-ins (a dwarf punching through a marble column as rocks are falling from the ceiling)
and finally, Boredom (dwarf on fire)

Waylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 01:36:54 am »

What you should do, is have your original idea (epic battle) while the badges border the poster.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 05:30:19 am »

Toady has officially opened the floodgates for my six novella series of Dwarf Fortress lore, accompanied by an audiodrama voiced and narrated by me.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 05:43:50 am »

I realize it's a little complicated for an idea like this, but am I the only one who thinks a Where's Waldo-esque, hundreds of characters with a bunch of ways to lose going on scattered throughout scene would rule?

Over in the corner, a dwarf tries to stuff another kitten into a cage packed full to bulging. Near the top, two dwarves with picks in hand are fleeing up a flight of stairs from a mass of tentacles. A dozen dwarves sleeping on the ground outside a housing tower with "VACANCY - CASH ONLY" in huge letters out front. A noble yelling in symbols about clear glass while another viciously beats a dwarf who is obviously a blacksmith. A confused dwarf stands in front of two levers with hooks above them, holding signs in his hands; one reads "open trade gates" the other "flood outside world". A dwarf watches a spiky belt sink into a lava flow as another dwarf runs screaming at him from behind. A pack of bloody-mouthed elves dragging a dwarf away. A dwarf, one arm in a cast, exhales dust as another rams a bucket against a frozen river to no avail. In the "distance", a herd of skeletal elephant charging...

Derek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 07:51:11 am »

A possible "Elves" badge, hehe.  This is a rather comical depiction, but in my mind I imagine the actual elves of Dwarf Fortress to look much more sinister... alien almost.

XmasApe, I really like that idea.  I'm still open to different poster concepts at this point.  One problem I foresee with the badges poster is that the badges themselves would probably be pretty small (maybe 2 inches, give or take, depending on the size of the poster), which means they'd have to be less detailed - maybe even less detailed than this design, I'm not sure.  Either that or we'd have to reduce the number that appear on the poster, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun!

In any case, the best way to proceed is just to keep tossing ideas and art around like this and see where it goes.  I'd have fun doing a "Where's Waldo"-style DF drawing regardless of whether the idea gets used or not, so...

We'll just see where this goes!

Btw, I mentioned this before, but the service I was planning on using to print the posters (or what have you) is Lulu.com.  They do print on demand, so you don't have to pay for inventory or anything like that.  Actually, if the money's all going to Tarn, he could even just set up an account with Lulu and then collect the profits directly.  Otherwise, I'm happy to just Paypal him every month or so.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 08:49:27 am »

Woah, awesome elf. That would make a great t-shirt (although I dislike fan merchandise shirts because they are either A. Expensive, B. Poor quality and/or C. Most of the price goes to shirt company)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:56 pm »

Armageddon: "-3"
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 07:21:16 pm »

@ deadlyshoe : did you mean tribble trouble? like trumbles?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7