Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breeding in captivity  (Read 1871 times)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Breeding in captivity
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:44:33 pm »

So my current fort has reached a point where wild animals no longer show up and my zoo has lost a few of its exhibits due to old age. So long hoary marmet zone, farewell slugman and snailman pits, goodbye Gary the Geriatric Gopher.

I do have four fairly new dark gnomes however, and I was wondering if they'll breed if I lock them in a room together. Do any hostile or otherwise wild creatures breed? I'm still playing 38c if it matters.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding in captivity
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:07:46 pm »

So long as they are of different genders and can breed, they should breed. Just ask anyone who's suffered the indignity of being on a site with hippopotami roaming around in the murky pools. They breed like fucking rabbits.

And they don't have to be in the same room or anything; just so long as they're somewhere on the map and are not caged (not sure if this was fixed in 39a/b/c but certainly applies to older versions), they'll breed if they can.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:52 pm »

So long as they are of different genders and can breed, they should breed. Just ask anyone who's suffered the indignity of being on a site with hippopotami roaming around in the murky pools. They breed like fucking rabbits.

And they don't have to be in the same room or anything; just so long as they're somewhere on the map and are not caged (not sure if this was fixed in 39a/b/c but certainly applies to older versions), they'll breed if they can.
O_O you used a XXwordXX!!! now im scarred forever!
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:22:50 am »

O_O you used a XXwordXX!!! now im scarred forever!
What? Never heard a girl swear before? :P I'm not as bad as Gordon Ramsay, though I can't lie and say I'm good at holding my tongue :-X
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:32:20 am »

So 3 of my 4 dark gnomes are female. Here's hoping the last caged one has little gnomey wang.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »

I read that if you lock critters in a cage together, they'll mate inside the cage. Also that they won't do anything else, so you'll get a lot of babies popping out of the cage.

I'm curious though, if you tame wild animals and put them in a cage, will the offspring be tame or wild?
- Relee the Squirrel --

imajia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04:31 pm »

Fortunately they *don't* mate in a cage. Before I moved all the animals in a single cage, my butchers never were without work. Now they (and I) can relax.
The offspring of tame animals is also tame. Tested with wolves.

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:55:22 pm »

Will tame but fierce animals like wolves or tigers get into fights with enemy troops, or will they run away like most pets?

And can you tame humanoids, like antmen?
- Relee the Squirrel --

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:34:35 pm »

You can tame the beastmen, if you add the proper tag in.  Because they have the can speak/learn abilities, though, it leads to some strangeness.  They will eat and drink like your dwarves, and can die of these conditions as well.  They will still be treated as animals in the view screen however, so get that image of your hordes of steel-clad antmen out of your head.

as for making them trainable, simply go into the file CREATURE_STANDARD in the RAW/OBJECTS folder and add the tag [PET_EXOTIC] under their profile.  This will allow whatever you've marked to be tamed at the kennel once your dungeon master arrives.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:28 pm »

Oh interesting, but you have to set the tag, it's not on by default?
- Relee the Squirrel --

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 05:19:56 am »

You can tame the beastmen, if you add the proper tag in.  Because they have the can speak/learn abilities, though, it leads to some strangeness.  They will eat and drink like your dwarves, and can die of these conditions as well.  They will still be treated as animals in the view screen however, so get that image of your hordes of steel-clad antmen out of your head.

as for making them trainable, simply go into the file CREATURE_STANDARD in the RAW/OBJECTS folder and add the tag [PET_EXOTIC] under their profile.  This will allow whatever you've marked to be tamed at the kennel once your dungeon master arrives.
Would this require a new world? I have embarked but not yet issued a single command to my dorfs, if that makes any difference.
My urge to keep a herd of beastmen wandering around the courtyard of my surface fort as an expendable meat-shield for invasion is very strong upon learning this.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 05:25:55 am »

I think it's a small enough change that you should be fine.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 06:58:29 am »

I think it's a small enough change that you should be fine.
Working so far, thanks!
I'm too early to start training them - given I'm still trying to choose where my initial stairs will be built and leaning towards "dead center of the map" - but it loaded without complaint.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 04:10:33 pm »

Would this require a new world?

Generally, you only need a new world if you are adding an entirely new entry.  If you merely add (or delete) a tag in an existing entry, it usually works in existing worlds.

There may be exceptions (possibly major ones).  I'm no expert.  Your mileage may vary.  These statements have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration.  Side effects were rare and included headache, drowsiness, and innards spontaneously becoming outards.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 02:07:31 am »

Here's another question on this subject; if animals in cages don't breed with eachother, what about animals on chains/ropes?

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to keep my non-pet animals out of my feasthalls without turning off the 'hang out' option. I tried putting them in a room and setting the only exit to animals can't pass, but they would just stand there with a flashing question mark trying to pathfind out of the room to get back to the feasthalls, and would eventually escape by going through a door when a dwarf went in or out.
- Relee the Squirrel --
Pages: [1] 2