Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my first artifact is grate  (Read 2000 times)

Tripsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my first artifact is grate
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:43:47 am »

hello all,

so i've been playing DF for a while and i'm loving the hell out of it, and if it wasn't for this forum i'd have been stumped numerous times on pretty much everything. so good job all you posters out there.

the time has come! my blacksmith/metalsmith drops into a fey mood, and after some nervous time spent wondering if he'll beserk, he gives birth to the mighty nickel, turtle encrusted grate. now as much as i love the fact i have a 6000 value grate, i've experimented with grates in my fortress and they don't fit in from an aesthetic point.

so how do i get rid of it? i've read that you only get so many artifacts per #dwarves - and i like my fortress as it is, cozy and personal. plus another legendary dwarf would be nice. i've heard you can't trade artifacts, and that they don't melt in magma. so any ideas? or am i off my rocker for wanting to get rid of it?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: my first artifact is grate
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:57:45 am »

let a thief steal it.

throw it in a chasm.

find the dwarf with the most pets, lock into a room with the grate, kill the kittens untill the dwarf berserks.
Throw the kitten corpses into the room for extra points...and miasma.

don't forget to  isolate the legendary maker, they get upset if their greatest work is damaged.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:49 am »

I dont think getting rid out it will help you get more- I suspect that is based on a count of how many artifacts have been made, not how many currently exist.

Also, are you really sure you cant find any use for it? Even 6000 is a lot of value to add to a room in a single hit... "Its not a grate, its a statue!... of a grate...."

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:37:02 am »

As an artifact, putting it in a room raises the value far beyond the mere materialworth. 

Your nobles will love it.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:02:47 am »

Bugger the nobles.  They can admire the artifact huge serrated disc attached to the lever in their rooms...

How's your dining room set up, Tripsky?  A legendary dining hall does more to keep the dorfs ecstatic than any other single thing.  I'm one of those who like to have a waterfall on each side of the dining room entry(s), so the diners will also get happy thoughts when coming and going.  Normally dwarves have no problems walking between the two drains and very rarely fall in...  but they do get pushed in by others at times though.   ::)

An artifact floor grate would go a long way to stopping this, as well as boosting the dining hall rating.

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Tripsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:32 am »

i've been toying a lot with floodgates, levers, mist n all- and my current hall is, for lack of a better series of words, piss poor. so that sounds like a good idea- i like to keep my dwarves happy.

one question, is there any good way of draining water? i could drain it into the chasm, but i hear that's not very neighbourly. i've got a magma vent, and an above ground river. i know i could pump it... but i'd prefer to not have to bother.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:44:52 am »

Bugger the nobles.  They can admire the artifact huge serrated disc attached to the lever in their rooms...
Come on, man.  You know the Dungeon Master is awesome.  Animal training and metalcrafting mean he can overcloak your rams.

Personally, I drain my dining hall onto the top of a brook.  I also used up/down staircases for where the water comes down, so even if a dwarf falls in he can just walk back out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:46:26 am by Qmarx »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:37 pm »

I never make use of draining, i just pump the water back ontop in a closed system.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:08 pm »

Make sure the top of your closed system is a large reservoir and that it drains out from the side (not from underneath). The volume of the reservoir should exceed the total volume of all your plumbing. This way it'll never run dry.

I like chasming my water though.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:36:31 pm »

Make sure the top of your closed system is a large reservoir and that it drains out from the side (not from underneath). The volume of the reservoir should exceed the total volume of all your plumbing. This way it'll never run dry.
Or you could just have an aquifer. 

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 01:51:59 pm »

When the elves get pissed at you for using it, then I'll use an aquifer ;)
As it stands, I don't like having a resource around that I can't devastate.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 03:42:11 pm »

Isn't it possible to destroy aquifers? Via for example freeze or magma? (never tried it myself)
Also i remember reading about Humans getting upset about using a river or something strange in Legendary mode, can you imagine them being angry by "misusing" all that is waterbased and then getting invaded by them? Scary.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »

Dig a hole, throw it in the hole, and build a floor on top of the hole to bury it. Problem solved.
- Relee the Squirrel --

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:38:04 pm »

Does pouring water into a magma vent still lead to spamming of 'a cave-in has occured!' messages?

Just dig a hole in the side of the mountain, add a grate and problem is solved...unless your dininghall is below the lowest surface level.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link