Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updated combat text mod?  (Read 2442 times)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Updated combat text mod?
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:06:37 am »

My favorite mod so far has been this one:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=57

It's just a little app that you run to display adventure-mode combat text during fortress mode; I really, really enjoy watching the fights, and it's very useful because with it running I'll get alerted whenever one of my dwarves is *attacked* instead of whenever one of my dwarves is *killed,* or whenever a goblin wanders over one of my traps.

Plus, I've never been able to get the full Dwarf Companion running without getting persistent crash errors, but this one's easy to install and use (only way it could be improved would be if it had an "off" toggle and if you could cull sparring text). Has anyone or could anyone update this for the new version, or is there an easy way for me to do that myself? Thanks!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Updated combat text mod?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:58:34 pm »

Companion is currently the only way.  And it's not hard to get running anymore.
There's since been an All-In-One Installer, available from wiki page for Companion.
You just run the installer, run DF, go into adv/dwarf mode, and then run companion_prototype.py as python should automatically associate itself with the extension.
Of course, if Companion has since stopped working because of 39d, then there's currently NO way to get combat reports.  Anyways, I think the person who made that standalone combat report utility has disappeared.  (Feel free to speak up and prove me wrong if not)
(No post of mine is complete without grammar nazi-ism: A utility, like Companion, 3Dwarf, Prospector [39d implemented Prospector^2 anyway], or this thing, are not mods, since they make no modification to the game files.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:00:23 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:03:27 pm »

Perhaps Toady will add this detailed combat mode available in Dwarf mode sooner or later. :) [..at least as an option in the .ini to turn it off/on in case if someone would prefer to have simple combat reports]

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:05:12 pm »

I can turn on the combat reports by simply clicking the old combatreports.exe (dated 13th march 2008). Works for me.

I have a different problem though - my dwarves seem to misteriously heal. One moment a dwarf has a broken leg, and when I check few moments after, she is OK (Im sure she didn't have a change to heal in game). Yesterday my butcher got his spleen bitten (brown injury) by a skeletal macacque. I finished the fight, quit the game, and when I loaded the game today, the butcher was healthy.

Something devious is going on here and I suspect the old combat reports might be the cause.
Or I'm getting a strange bug with the game itself.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:07:20 pm »

Utilities that aren't updated to the current version tend to do wacky things.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:20 pm »

There's since been an All-In-One Installer, available from wiki page for Companion.
You just run the installer, run DF, go into adv/dwarf mode, and then run companion_prototype.py as python should automatically associate itself with the extension.

Yeah, I did that -- running dfcompanion.py by clicking or from "start/run"  just makes a msdos window flash by so fast I can't read it. I used to be able to make it work intermittently with the .exe version but it would always crash dwarf fortress after an hour or so, which is a major reason i preferred the standalone for combat reports.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:28 pm »

I had a dwarf get bitten on the nose by a zombie rat, and a couple of steps later it was healed. No combat reports, just the new version. Perhaps it's a bug?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:41:51 pm »

Are you sure its an actual broken limb instead of just bruised? Minor injuries such as bruises heal very quickly, whereas broken/manged type injuries often take several seasons to heal.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:33:58 am »

Yeah, I did that -- running dfcompanion.py by clicking or from "start/run"  just makes a msdos window flash by so fast I can't read it. I used to be able to make it work intermittently with the .exe version but it would always crash dwarf fortress after an hour or so, which is a major reason i preferred the standalone for combat reports.
Run if from the command prompt if it's crashing without leaving an error message visible.